Romo passes on the question of what Cowboys must do to take the next step

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
....You got better.

CASE CLOSED!!!

I heard Romo on a TV interview today on CBS 11. Don't know the woman that was interviewing, but Tony remarked about when he was playing with the Cowboys, he'd sometimes wonder why they weren't doing something that he thought would work.

The answer he got was "It's not in our system."

Tony's response to the interviewer of what he thought: "Then our system needs to change."

CalebTC84

Reaction score
In fairness, it's a no win situation for him here. No matter what his opinion is, it's going to rub fans the wrong way, his former organization of 13 years the wrong way, and become an instant headline in a week that's supposed to be centered around New England's and L.A.'s teams.

Has anyone ever noticed how he's talked about in the Cowboys media? I can't figure out whether Broaddus and Spagnola appreciated what Tony did for the organization or thought that he was as good of a presence as a bad one in the locker room.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
In fairness, it's a no win situation for him here. No matter what his opinion is, it's going to rub fans the wrong way, his former organization of 13 years the wrong way, and become an instant headline in a week that's supposed to be centered around New England's and L.A.'s teams.

Has anyone ever noticed how he's talked about in the Cowboys media? I can't figure out whether Broaddus and Spagnola appreciated what Tony did for the organization or thought that he was as good of a presence as a bad one in the locker room.
I reckon there's just certain things a Man's gotta just snuffeth the scent on the blowing wind & figure things out ON HIS OWN,FRIEND!o_O

Little Jr

Reaction score
Romo has zero coaching experience. Yes, this is true. But Romo was a QB who had total command over his offense near the end of his playing career. He's very cerebral and knows what the offense and defense should do based off formation and the like. He also had a lot of input on designing offensive game plans towards the end of his playing career. Of course, this doesn't mean he could be a great coach, but he's certainly shown himself more worthy to the Dallas Cowboys organization at this point than Jason Garrett ever was for a head coaching job. I don't know why Garrett was ever considered worthy of the job. He threw up passes to Irvin and Harper and handed the ball to Emmitt Smith running behind one of the best offensive lines in football some twenty five years ago on Thanksgiving Day and somehow that gave him some special status in the organization.

That being said, I don't think Romo is going to coach for a long time. He wants to spend time with his kids while they are young and he's already making a boatload of money, comparable to what the top coaches get paid without the stress or time investment required.
Once again, What does Romo playing have to do with him being a coach? And you say you don't know why JG was ever consider a HC because of his playing days. Lol what does that have to do with him being a HC? I think he's not very good at it but it has nothing to do with his playing days. What did Bill do in his playing days? How bout Mcvay ? How bout Pederson? How bout Payton ? Look across the nfl and some coches didn't even play in the nfl, some were back ups and some not very good. Lol playing and coaching has nothing to with one and other. JG might not have deserved the OC job when he got it and didn't deserve the HC job when he got it but he deserved it more than Romo deserves it now. At least he coached a position and was highly thought of. At least he was a OC and had top offenses in the league even though I don't like his offense. At least he interviewed with other teams and was going to be hired by one of the best gms in football. I'm sure they're glad he didn't take the job though. Lol but he did a lot more than be a good nfl qb and call out plays from the booth.

I think people think it's easy being a HC. Just be good at a position and be good at booth analyst and come one down get a job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CASE CLOSED!!!

I heard Romo on a TV interview today on CBS 11. Don't know the woman that was interviewing, but Tony remarked about when he was playing with the Cowboys, he'd sometimes wonder why they weren't doing something that he thought would work.

The answer he got was "It's not in our system."

Tony's response to the interviewer of what he thought: "Then our system needs to change."

Your argument is that you thought until you heard that that Tony agreed with everything that was done in the system in Dallas and that it was never the case that we did things the coaches wanted that he disagreed with? Because that's never something I would have thought in the first place.

This was pretty obvious back when Jerry announced Romo's last big contract. We were giving him Manning-like input into the offense, even back then. That's not news.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your argument is that you thought until you heard that that Tony agreed with everything that was done in the system in Dallas and that it was never the case that we did things the coaches wanted that he disagreed with? Because that's never something I would have thought in the first place.

This was pretty obvious back when Jerry announced Romo's last big contract. We were giving him Manning-like input into the offense, even back then. That's not news.

No, its not news. Romo NOT liking Garrett, his offense, or the way he calls plays is widely known. Just more fuel on the fire for you. Enjoy. Keep up the good fight. Garrett is awesome.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Once again, What does Romo playing have to do with him being a coach? And you say you don't know why JG was ever consider a HC because of his playing days. Lol what does that have to do with him being a HC? I think he's not very good at it but it has nothing to do with his playing days. What did Bill do in his playing days? How bout Mcvay ? How bout Pederson? How bout Payton ? Look across the nfl and some coches didn't even play in the nfl, some were back ups and some not very good. Lol playing and coaching has nothing to with one and other. JG might not have deserved the OC job when he got it and didn't deserve the HC job when he got it but he deserved it more than Romo deserves it now. At least he coached a position and was highly thought of. At least he was a OC and had top offenses in the league even though I don't like his offense. At least he interviewed with other teams and was going to be hired by one of the best gms in football. I'm sure they're glad he didn't take the job though. Lol but he did a lot more than be a good nfl qb and call out plays from the booth.

I think people think it's easy being a HC. Just be good at a position and be good at booth analyst and come one down get a job.
You need to read what someone writes instead of reading what you want into what someone writes.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Willfreedom909 said:
If it was the guy who replaced him than why couldn’t tony win a Super Bowl when he had a decade and change to do so?
You're asking me? Yeah... I'll give you an answer... hold my beer.

no the answer is garrett was asst hc and OC then HC / OC for all of those years.
As soon as linehan took over play calling, they had the good year in 2014 and if they had got by GB who knows?

JG is holding the team back , the whole not getting past div round is so obvious.
JG is just out of his depth at that level.

Little Jr

Reaction score
You need to read what someone writes instead of reading what you want into what someone writes.
I read what you wrote. I'm assuming you mean when you said it doesn't guarantee him being a good coach. No ****? My comment still stands, What does being a good qb have to do with anything when coaching and being a reason for being more worthy of being Dallas coach than jg? And what does jg being a back up who threw to Mike, had a great ol with Smith running the ball have anything to do with him not deserving the HC job? There is plenty of things to bring up on why he shouldn't have been the HC and why he shouldn't now but his play on the field 25 years ago has nothing to do with it. Just like Romo play on the field doesn't guarantee him being a good HC. They have nothing to do with being a good coach or not.

So again, I read what you wrote and still think it was almost as dumb as people wanting Romo as a HC. The only difference, is at least you admit his play in the field won't guarantee him being a good HC . But on the other hand, you said you didn't think jg deserved the job because his play on the field. Now that I typed it out and read it, it is just as dumb.

Little Jr

Reaction score

The only input Romo has was plays he liked out of the ****** play book JG brought with him. Most all, if not all, qbs have that input. During the week they will bring in their qbs and ask what plays they like this week. Then they pick the play's they like. That's all the input he had.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only input Romo has was plays he liked out of the ****** play book JG brought with him. Most all, if not all, qbs have that input. During the week they will bring in their qbs and ask what plays they like this week. Then they pick the play's they like. That's all the input he had.
Is this something you know firsthand?

Little Jr

Reaction score
Is this something you know firsthand?
Which part? Romos input? It was said in an interview and someone posted it a few comments back.

Other qbs? Depends on what you mean by first hand. Lol Pederson did with foles and was written and talked about. Ravens did with Jackson and it was talked about. Lineman did with Dak and it's been talked about. They did with Romo and its been talked about. Payton does it with breese and it's been talked about and actually was part of a pregame show. They showed them going over plays they liked for the game. Maybe I have no life and watch more t.v. but qbs and coaches going over game plans and what qbs like that week has been talked about in interviews, articles , pregame shows ect.... coaches want the qb to comfortable with plays they are calling.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which part? Romos input? It was said in an interview and someone posted it a few comments back.

Other qbs? Depends on what you mean by first hand. Lol Pederson did with foles and was written and talked about. Ravens did with Jackson and it was talked about. Lineman did with Dak and it's been talked about. They did with Romo and its been talked about. Payton does it with breese and it's been talked about and actually was part of a pregame show. They showed them going over plays they liked for the game. Maybe I have no life and watch more t.v. but qbs and coaches going over game plans and what qbs like that week has been talked about in interviews, articles , pregame shows ect.... coaches want the qb to comfortable with plays they are calling.
I was asking just about Romo. I have to believe he made suggestions on occasion about what would improve certain plays, and those adjustments were added into the offense, at least once in a while.

Rambrah

Reaction score

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I read what you wrote. I'm assuming you mean when you said it doesn't guarantee him being a good coach. No ****? My comment still stands, What does being a good qb have to do with anything when coaching and being a reason for being more worthy of being Dallas coach than jg? And what does jg being a back up who threw to Mike, had a great ol with Smith running the ball have anything to do with him not deserving the HC job? There is plenty of things to bring up on why he shouldn't have been the HC and why he shouldn't now but his play on the field 25 years ago has nothing to do with it. Just like Romo play on the field doesn't guarantee him being a good HC. They have nothing to do with being a good coach or not.

So again, I read what you wrote and still think it was almost as dumb as people wanting Romo as a HC. The only difference, is at least you admit his play in the field won't guarantee him being a good HC . But on the other hand, you said you didn't think jg deserved the job because his play on the field. Now that I typed it out and read it, it is just as dumb.
No you obviously didn't read what I wrote because reading entails comprehension.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I was asking just about Romo. I have to believe he made suggestions on occasion about what would improve certain plays, and those adjustments were added into the offense, at least once in a while.
Yeah as long as the suggestions were in with the scheme.