Romo passes on the question of what Cowboys must do to take the next step

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why not just answer the question? I mean, if he's in broadcasting and is an analyst, you have to answer the tough questions. If everyone that says it's Garrett and it's blatantly obvious, why not illustrate what will take us to the next level?

Heck he could have said a lot of things . They are a young team and will mature and take the next step or when Big Fred comes back and Williams is a year stronger the oline will dominate and they will take another step .

Tony could have danced around the subject but down deep he knows with Garrett still as head Coach making the playoffs is about all you can ever expect because in the Cap era enough talent cant be acquired to over come him .

Geez If we bought Cousins and had a great passing QB like half the fan base want we would not be able to afford the talent we have and even make the playoffs we would have been home like the Vikes with a great passer an Zero shot because we were not in the post season .

Daks Durability and Salary give us a punchers chance in the Cap era because we can build a team with the money we are NOT wasting on him . Unfortunately still not quite enough to overcome Garrett but we did win a game

Swagger

Reaction score
I think he's talking about Prescott.

All joking aside I do agree but he is also surely thinking about Jason Garrett.

The reality is that without Tony Romo playing quarterback for Garrett as Head Coach, then JG would be cleaning out the changing rooms right now. No way would he still be Head Coach. Romo knows that he saved his butt.

It's obvious that whenever Romo commentates he tries so hard to not criticise Prescott to avoid people claiming that he is bitter. He appreciates that Prescott is very efficient with his wheels and has been very durable to date but given what he has around him, Prescott does not make full use of the passing game on offer. However, Romo can never criticise Prescott as people will claim he's still salty over being ****** over by the Cowboys.

Little Jr

Reaction score
If we have that kind of mentality, we wouldn't take the risk to put a McVay in a HC position because of his age or place Belichick as an NFL coach despite only having football experience playing for Wesleyan.

What? Lol Mcvay had 8 years of nfl coaching experience. 5 as a assistant postion coach, position coach and 3 as a OC before he was hired as a HC. Bill had 16 years of experience, 10 as a assistant postion coach, position coach, special teams coach and 6 as a DC before he got a HC job. So I have no clue what your argument is here.

If you can play football well and exhibited excellent leadership skills as a player, what else do you have to prove that you can be a head coach?

This right here makes me feel like I'm losing football IQ by even reading and responding to it. Maybe prove that you can actually coach individuals as a position coach? Maybe prove you can coach one side of the ball as a coordinator?

If that's all you need then why isn't there more retired players gettting HC jobs as their first coaching job? Why haven't there been more coordinator jobs been given to players who have never coached before ? Why hasn't there EVER been a player given a HC job or even a coordinator job without any coaching experience? Why do guys like Munchak start as quality control guy, Mathews start as assistant position coach, Greene start as a position coach ? All HOF who were good leaders on their teams .

I'm not sure people really understand what it takes to be any type a coach in the NFL, especially a HC. You have to manage 53 players, 10+ coaches, deal with the owner(as a coach ), deal with the gm (as a coach), deal with the draft, work 16-18 hr days, prepare for TC, make out the schedule for TC, teach the coaches what you want and expect from them, create a playbook that fits your team, clock management, when to challenge , when to take a time out, deal with the media as coach not a player and there is a difference and many many many other thing's a HC has to deal with. Romo hasn't shown at any level as coach he's ready for any of that. He was a good player, good leader and a great analyst in the booth. None of that shows he would even be a good position coach much less a HC.

I think few things are happening for this to even be a subject.

1. We are desperate enough for a change that we actually think this is a good idea.

2. His booth greatness is somehow making people think that's all he needs to be a good HC and forgetting what it actually takes to be a good HC.

3. Quite a few are huge Romo fans and are atill pissed about how it ended and letting that cloud their judgement. For any one who wants to use SAS and maybe a few others who aren't fans and think the same thing, there are 5 who thinks this idea is silly for every one that thinks it's a good idea.

4. There are just football fans who have a very low football IQ.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I want him to coach, eventually, but starting as a QB coach and have him earn his way up. He has football knowledge, but does he have what it takes to coach and teach that knowledge to a group?
I would have no issues with that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All joking aside I do agree but he is also surely thinking about Jason Garrett.

The reality is that without Tony Romo playing quarterback for Garrett as Head Coach, then JG would be cleaning out the changing rooms right now. No way would he still be Head Coach. Romo knows that he saved his butt.

It's obvious that whenever Romo commentates he tries so hard to not criticise Prescott to avoid people claiming that he is bitter. He appreciates that Prescott is very efficient with his wheels and has been very durable to date but given what he has around him, Prescott does not make full use of the passing game on offer. However, Romo can never criticise Prescott as people will claim he's still salty over being ****** over by the Cowboys.

I like Dak. I think he's an OK QB with great intangibles and is clutch.

But with Garrett's offense and Dak? That will never get the most out of Garrett's coaching style or Dak's playing style.

They are bad for each other and will produce nothing but mediocrity and keeps fans arguing about whether they are good enough.

Jared Goff is not that good of a QB but he has a mastermind calling plays for him and it's elevated him from almost being a bust to what people think is a franchise QB today.

Dak could do exactly what Goff is doing with that playcaller but Dak is stuck with his Jeff Fisher.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why not just answer the question? I mean, if he's in broadcasting and is an analyst, you have to answer the tough questions. If everyone that says it's Garrett and it's blatantly obvious, why not illustrate what will take us to the next level?
Unless he actually doesn't feel like he has the answer.

Gameover

Reaction score
This is the first offseason in which I have total confidence that Dak is the guy. I have never been more confident in Dak Prescott(and the team) than I am right now.

I’ll be flat out shocked if he isn’t a top 5 mvp candidate in 2019

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score

How the hell would Romo know what anyone needs to do to take the next step. He never took the next step himself; he's never been there.
The Cowboys have underachieved, but they have achieved the height of everything Romo ever did in the post-season.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He could have very easily said that.
True, but I know I don't always give my best response immediately...especially when put on the spot.

What really surprises me is that he had to know someone would ask him this question, and he didn't have a prepared response. Unless that was his prepared response, and he meant to be cryptic.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Why Romo is considered a candidate for OC
  • We haven’t made a move just yet for the OC
  • Jerry stated the hire would be “in-house (I consider Tony “in-house”)
  • Tony is calling a superbowl to finish off this season. (Not a bad time to step back and go for coaching after that)
  • Tony has stated he will actually coach.
I have plenty of kool aid just write your username with a sharpie on the dixie cup

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Does it really take Tony saying this to know it’s true. Some of us have been begging for a new system for over 8 years now. This isn’t 1993.
Yes it does! If enough X players and coaches call out Garrett’s lame predictable and simple system, then maybe Jerry will get rid of Garrett and his lame system. It doesn't’ matter what the fans think! Jerry doesn’t care.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I heard Romo on a TV interview today on CBS 11. Don't know the woman that was interviewing, but Tony remarked about when he was playing with the Cowboys, he'd sometimes wonder why they weren't doing something that he thought would work.

The answer he got was "It's not in our system."

Tony's response to the interviewer of what he thought: "Then our system needs to change."

And there you have it from Tony, what the next step is....

"Our" system needs to change.

Right-0n! Triplet-9-3:thumbup:

* I'd been fortunate enough to have caught the C.B.S. national morning show broadcast, this morning ,where they had Jim Nantz and the #9 being interviewed & talkin' about the upcoming SUPERBOWL SUNDAY soon to be upon us, they were bestowing the TITLE to the #9 with the label of: Romostradamus:lmao2:

** it was a pretty cool(
albeit ,way to short) segment, Tony said he doesn't miss being on the field &commanding the huddled attack of helmeted football at all anymore,,,:thumbup:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Lol he's not a HC. Comparing him to mcvay and Klingsberry is laughable because they actually had coaching experience. Romo has ZERO.

Romo has zero coaching experience. Yes, this is true. But Romo was a QB who had total command over his offense near the end of his playing career. He's very cerebral and knows what the offense and defense should do based off formation and the like. He also had a lot of input on designing offensive game plans towards the end of his playing career. Of course, this doesn't mean he could be a great coach, but he's certainly shown himself more worthy to the Dallas Cowboys organization at this point than Jason Garrett ever was for a head coaching job. I don't know why Garrett was ever considered worthy of the job. He threw up passes to Irvin and Harper and handed the ball to Emmitt Smith running behind one of the best offensive lines in football some twenty five years ago on Thanksgiving Day and somehow that gave him some special status in the organization.

That being said, I don't think Romo is going to coach for a long time. He wants to spend time with his kids while they are young and he's already making a boatload of money, comparable to what the top coaches get paid without the stress or time investment required.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Romo wouldnt take the OC job under Garrett because he wouldnt want Garrett to get any credit. He wants control and that would also mean credit.

Why would he take a coaching job under a guy he cant stand and doenst respect as a HC?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right-0n! Triplet-9-3:thumbup:

* I'd been fortunate enough to have caught the C.B.S. national morning show broadcast, this morning ,where they had Jim Nantz and the #9 being interviewed & talkin' about the upcoming SUPERBOWL SUNDAY soon to be upon us, they were bestowing the TITLE to the #9 with the label of: Romostradamus:lmao2:

** it was a pretty cool(
albeit ,way to short) segment, Tony said he doesn't miss being on the field &commanding the huddled attack of helmeted football at all anymore,,,:thumbup:

And there you have your 100% conclusive proof that Romo was talking about the change being Garrett. Case closed, its over. End of story.