Romo says accuracy is not about footwork

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of fans think different. I can't see how you can't make tweaks and improvements.
A player can always improve. Even when you're great there's still room for improvement. I can't believe people think otherwise. No there's no ceiling. You can always reach further

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm no professional but I would think footwork has more to do than what you think. I know if you throw a ball with a lunge (per se) it's going to go farther than if you threw it just standing there and just using your upper body because lunging while throwing, you're using your whole body.

Take that train of thought just for a second, where you plant your front foot is going to tell you which direction the ball is going. if you plant the front foot in an angel and try to throw straight in front of you, it's just not going to work.. If you plant it directly in front of you, you're going to throw straight. It doesn't matter if it's a football, baseball, rolling a bowling ball etc.

Again, this is just my thoughts for what it's worth...
Good assessment. Prescott has the strength, just not the mechanics sometimes. He looks like he doesn't trust some throws from the pocket, almost as if he is overthinking it. I think it's why he sometimes waits till the receiver is wide open before he throws it.
But, it is an individual thing for most QBs - whatever works, but it has to work the right way and takes practice.
When I played, the really deep bomb required me to do the Staubach windup. (I also had a road runner receiver who could run under it, but like CC referred to, ya gotta throw the runner open.) Gotta clear the body out of the way so the shoulder can rotate through the throw. For me, foot work comes into play for the short and medium throws from the pocket. Throwing on the run was about upper body strength and shoulder position and I could hit the 20-30 yard moving targets. But, I had to launch myself with a sort of hop off both feet to deliver it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Good assessment. Prescott has the strength, just not the mechanics sometimes. He looks like he doesn't trust some throws from the pocket, almost as if he is overthinking it. I think it's why he sometimes waits till the receiver is wide open before he throws it.
But, it is an individual thing for most QBs - whatever works, but it has to work the right way and takes practice.
When I played, the really deep bomb required me to do the Staubach windup. (I also had a road runner receiver who could run under it, but like CC referred to, ya gotta throw the runner open.) Gotta clear the body out of the way so the shoulder can rotate through the throw. For me, foot work comes into play for the short and medium throws from the pocket. Throwing on the run was about upper body strength and shoulder position and I could hit the 20-30 yard moving targets. But, I had to launch myself with a sort of hop off both feet to deliver it.
that's on point. I have made similar argument and I am called a Dak Hater....his mechanics need improvement. there is no questions or doubts. even most Dak fanatics admit that. and you hit the nail on the head, because of his mechanics, he doesn't trust himself to make some of the throws and thus holds on to the ball too long to have the WR open before he tries to speed throw it in there. he doesn't quite have all the touch and throws....and once he improves his mechanics, then he may trust himself more and make some of the throws.....

the one thing that he has to get over is throwing with anticipation, right now he waits until the WR is looking at him or wide open and finished his route before he throws, where as mentally he has to learn to throw with anticipation to a spot and expect his WR to get or be open. Something Romo and Aikman did really well. That's why Romo-Dez combination worked well, but Dak and Dez didn't really click.

so once his mechanics improve, the next hurdle is to throw with more anticipation and trust his arm and throw to spots.

the one issue that may also improve if the above two happens is less sacks, he holds on to the ball too long which leads to a lot of sacks, if he throws quicker, then less sacks. his pocket awareness is not that great and not sure if the above two will help that....that's something totally different....but putting him in a position to throw quicker, will help that....

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's on point. I have made similar argument and I am called a Dak Hater....his mechanics need improvement. there is no questions or doubts. even most Dak fanatics admit that. and you hit the nail on the head, because of his mechanics, he doesn't trust himself to make some of the throws and thus holds on to the ball too long to have the WR open before he tries to speed throw it in there. he doesn't quite have all the touch and throws....and once he improves his mechanics, then he may trust himself more and make some of the throws.....

the one thing that he has to get over is throwing with anticipation, right now he waits until the WR is looking at him or wide open and finished his route before he throws, where as mentally he has to learn to throw with anticipation to a spot and expect his WR to get or be open. Something Romo and Aikman did really well. That's why Romo-Dez combination worked well, but Dak and Dez didn't really click.

so once his mechanics improve, the next hurdle is to throw with more anticipation and trust his arm and throw to spots.

the one issue that may also improve if the above two happens is less sacks, he holds on to the ball too long which leads to a lot of sacks, if he throws quicker, then less sacks. his pocket awareness is not that great and not sure if the above two will help that....that's something totally different....but putting him in a position to throw quicker, will help that....
Yup. Gotta develop that conditioned response - just throw it! Hand-eye coordination is not a thinking man's game.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is right for quarterbacks who are just natural throwers of the football and have a ton of arm talent. Dak has a strong enough arm to make everything, but he's not a purely talented enough passer to do that when his mechanics, including his feet, aren't right.
Yeah, that is his limitation. His lack of confidence show up right about then.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Footwork is important as a foundation to start on. Once you develop the other aspects of effective passing it becomes less important as you can compensate for less then stellar footwork. Footwork does gain importance on the deeper throws.
It's a requirement.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Romo is an idiot. He doesn't know near as much as he thinks he does about being a QB. In order to make an accurate pass under pressure, you have to get to a position to make the throw. That doesn't happen without footwork. It's the work that happens before the work that he is focused on.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Interesting take from Romo. All quarterbacks are different in a sense. Strong armed quarterbacks don’t always rely on good footwork to deliver the ball accurately. Rodgers and Jeff George come to mind. And I go back to Aikman who pretty much says you have accuracy or you don’t. But there is no question Dak’s footwork is a lot to be desired from a technical standpoint.
ever watch slow mo of all the crazy releases with zero footwork from last years MVP? what was his Name Pat Mahomes or something or another, he looks like short stop throwing football but somehow the ball gets where its thrown..

footwork IMO is important but I have seen more of how you grip the football and how you release the ball and to an extent where you release the ball like less windup through and tight to a QB ear is more important..Not saying footwork isnt important for the less gifted unnatural throwers like Dak but things have changed the last 5yers or so and Mahomes type spread offense QBs dont have much technique, but they are gifted in just getting the ball out very similar to all the release points of a short stop.

so there no right or wrong way and Kitna needs to eb careful to not OVER TEAH and throw Daks natural football instincts off with all the thinking..im more worried about Daks pocket movement and the way he escapes pressure, um maybe less turning your back to the rush a and always keeping your eyes down field looking to throw and move UP more and let the rush pass you by..

example that thread on old ROMO escape artist , he seemingly after all that escaping id say 80% of those turned into throws that were completed NOT runs, sacks, or other things..thats what Dak needs to learn, how to use the rush against the opponent and moving within the pocket and step up more..that alone would cut down on 20% of the sacks he takes which also causes fumbles and INTs with his awkward dancing and prancing VS pocket rhythm..

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe in footwork as a great foundation in a lot of sports and Romo has some good points that I never really thought of. My theory on Dak is he has a slightly weaker arm than most QBs so he needs to have the idea setting to throw the ball. The harder he tries to throw the ball the less accurate he becomes. Thats why he is fine on the short throws but when he needs to put the ball on a rope 20 yds away to a WR running a deep crossing route who has his man beat by 6 feet he struggles. Sure he can lob the deep balls and hit guys that are wide open but that middle of the field is danger for a guy who struggles with accuracy. Notice his passes to Gallup tend to be down the sideline where its nice and safe.
The reason I say that Dak has a weak arm is because that first season we saw his mechanics go off and he was throwing to Beasley in the flat about 35 feet away and he was arming the ball and his ball fell short by about 10 feet. Never in my life have I seen a QB throw such a weak pass arming the ball. I dont know how many of you remember the pro bowl that Dak was in when he competed against Brees, Rivers and Dalton. Watching Dak throw the ball vs those other QBs was painful. Yeah it was just a circus event but he looked like a boy among men even though his body was the biggest. On the deeper targets at first he tried to be casual and the ball landed way short then he stepped into it and it was still short so he had to really wind up and stepped into it and finally got it there.
While all the other QBs had no trouble getting the ball there.
Now to Daks credit his strengths are he doesnt make mistakes he is a leader and is durable. But the one weakness is his arm strength and accuracy and thats the most important trait of a QB.
Wow! I took a nap half way through your post. I'll read the second half after breakfast. Lol

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It could be a chicken-egg thing. Or both!

sbark

Reaction score
The whole point of pressure from a def lineman is to get qb moving which increases degree of difficulty of a throw, or miss a window to throw at

It's the extremes in a qb footwork that get them in trouble, daks jump throw where he consistenly under throws, but again that is the point of the other side playing defense.

Same as with romo golf swing, a flying right elbow can quickly lead to a errant shot. Body has so many hinges that give minute changes in angles.

A pro qb can overcome most angles via repetition, it's the extremes in footwork, torso, across body throw that get the. In trouble......but again, that is the point of having a d.law or a a.donald

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The whole point of pressure from a def lineman is to get qb moving which increases degree of difficulty of a throw, or miss a window to throw at

It's the extremes in a qb footwork that get them in trouble, daks jump throw where he consistenly under throws, but again that is the point of the other side playing defense.

Same as with romo golf swing, a flying right elbow can quickly lead to a errant shot. Body has so many hinges that give minute changes in angles.

A pro qb can overcome most angles via repetition, it's the extremes in footwork, torso, across body throw that get the. In trouble......but again, that is the point of having a d.law or a a.donald
Either one would get me rattled!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL .....Just had to throw this in huh Roy?

Just way too much on this accuracy thing. Most of these guys, if they have the time, they will hit the receiver. The worse the Oline, the worse the QB is going to look. Better receivers make the QB better, ect…..ect…….

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has thrown more game winning TDs than game killing interceptions. Also, being 5th all time in QB rating says he does not have an accuracy problem.

So if its not accuracy then what is it? Poor game management? The opposite of clutch? Choker?

Romo threw 20 picks one year I recall. Are you saying throwing the ball to the wrong guy has nothing to do with accuracy?

Maverick84

Reaction score
Dak' s wind up isn't that big. Leftwing windup was really big. When Dak has time and knows exaxtly where he's going with the ball he's plenty accurate as the case with any qb.

the hell lol...