Romo trade vs release implications

Wood

Reaction score
we can get a 3rd rd pick at the minimum,it would be monumentally stupid to just cut him.

eyes of beholder. Is 3rd round pick more valuable than 10 million in savings? Some have pointed out that the savings wont be available until June 2nd but Dallas still has ways of using that money:

1) resign Martin
2) have cap space available for trade during season

robjay04

Reaction score
If tony got traded he absolutely would need to renegotiate his base salary for new team. The problem lies in signing bonus. The 10 million in savings from releasing vs trade probably gets you 3 players.

Since you seem to know a lot about the cap, how did the Eagles do what they did with Murray/Maxwell? I'm not being smart, I'm just curious.

Research that I did, I see Murray restructured his contract for the trade, the Eagles are only on the hook for about 4 million dead money. The Dolphins seemed to absorb the Maxwell contract while the Eagles are on the hook for only 4.5 million dead money.

8.5 in dead money seems like a bargain considering the Eagles gave out about 100 million with high guarantees to both players a season before.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They aren't going to do anything to help the competition. They do hold some cards here. They're going to reduce their leverage somewhat by trying to send him to his preferred destination, but they still have a trump card in that they can keep him if compensation is not up to expectations.

This is high stakes poker and I appreciate the OPs efforts. Leverage is constantly misunderstood in these situations, Adrian Peterson discussions come to mind, but Dallas is in a strong position and I think today absolutely helped.
I don't trust Jerry......he is going soft

AtomicDog

Reaction score
It's not correct. That 14+ million wouldn't be available until after June 1st and FA starts on March 9th. It will be slim pickings by the time that 14 million hits.

Ring, can FA's sign a contract with Cowboys on March 9 on a contingency basis, knowing that the Cowboys will release Romo at the appropriate date which would release the cap room? If so, maybe these players just wait till June 1 to show up to Cowboys facilities? thanks

Wood

Reaction score
you aren't clearing things up when you say 10m in savings that aren't saved and can't be used

we disagree that 10 million cant be used. I think it can. Why not redo Zach Martin contract and use that 10 millions towards it in 2017. Or have available cap space for trade they might need to make during season. There are ways to utilize those savings. The Romo pick will be conditional and there his high high probability he gets injured with his new team.

windjc

Reaction score
We aren't releasing Romo lol. You don't release a perennial pro bowler who just proved he's as good as ever. You keep him or you trade him to a non competitor for a high draft pick or some juicy players or both. Jerry is already on record saying he doesn't care about the cap. If I had to put odds on it Jerry will ask Romo to stay. Then it'll be up to Romo. And if he stays he will compete for the starters position.

Reaction score
The money won't be there and Cousins is going to be a top 3 salary in a couple of months.
Whoever we can get would be an upgrade to Sanchez. Having the money to sign our players instead of obtaining a probable 4th round pick is what I was getting at. A 5th round QB would be better than Sanchez.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Ring, can FA's sign a contract with Cowboys on March 9 on a contingency basis, knowing that the Cowboys will release Romo at the appropriate date which would release the cap room? If so, maybe these players just wait till June 1 to show up to Cowboys facilities? thanks
I've never researched it, but I would assume that's a big no-no. Someone else probably has a more definite answer though.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Denver went into the preseason expecting Mark Sanchez to start for them. Houston gave Brock Osweiler a 72 Million dollar contract.

If a four time Pro Bowl QB is on the market teams will give up AT LEAST a 3rd round pick, injury questions or not.
:clap:

Wood

Reaction score
Since you seem to know a lot about the cap, how did the Eagles do what they did with Murray/Maxwell? I'm not being smart, I'm just curious.

Research that I did, I see Murray restructured his contract for the trade, the Eagles are only on the hook for about 4 million dead money. The Dolphins seemed to absorb the Maxwell contract while the Eagles are on the hook for only 4.5 million dead money.

8.5 in dead money seems like a bargain considering the Eagles gave out about 100 million with high guarantees to both players a season before.

were talking about two different issues. I brought up the exclusive cap implications of Romo release vs trade. What your referring to is getting under team salary cap (redo other contracts), etc. I have no doubt Dallas can shift money around. Just brought up Dallas saves $10 million by releasing vs trading him. Alot of fans were under this impression that trade was only way to go. When I looked at it...turns out release is probably better for Dallas & Romo.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
were talking about two different issues. I brought up the exclusive cap implications of Romo release vs trade. What your referring to is getting under team salary cap (redo other contracts), etc. I have no doubt Dallas can shift money around. Just brought up Dallas saves $10 million by releasing vs trading him. Alot of fans were under this impression that trade was only way to go. When I looked at it...turns out release is probably better for Dallas & Romo.
you get the same savings if he is traded after June 1st.....releasing him is the worst option

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
we disagree that 10 million cant be used. I think it can. Why not redo Zach Martin contract and use that 10 millions towards it in 2017. Or have available cap space for trade they might need to make during season. There are ways to utilize those savings. The Romo pick will be conditional and there his high high probability he gets injured with his new team.
DAL can create 40m in space just by restructuring contracts and a couple cuts..... cap space is not an issue

Wood

Reaction score
you get the same savings if he is traded after June 1st.....releasing him is the worst option

Dallas would still absorb 19.6 million in 2017 in that scenario. A trade only works if team feels the conditional pick (likely a 4th - 6th rounder) is more value than 10 million in savings.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Here is break-down of trading or releasing Romo. After you get thru it all its clear a release is much more favorable for Cowboys.

1) If Dallas trades Romo - they absorb 19.6 million in signing bonus in 2017. Romo was set to make 24.7 million in 2017 so Cowboys would save 5.1 million if they trade him. I see nothing more than conditional pick for Romo as Dallas will have little leverage as Tony will only accept trade to few Super-Bowl ready teams.

2) If Dallas releases Romo they can spread 19.6 signing bonus over 2 years. 9.8 million would count against cap in 2017 & 2018. Dallas would save 14.9 million in 2017.

When you look at numbers its clear what Dallas should do. The additional 9.8 million in savings by releasing him instead of trading him (14.9 - 5.1) is much more valuable in resigning players or adding FAs vs getting a conditional pick that would carry high risk with Romo health concerns.

Well, that settles it then. Can't afford to do either one so they'll have to keep him.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
Someone will offer a 1st rnd pick for Romo. Mark my words. He is a special player and has all the intangible plus "it". A great teacher and a great team mate. He is RKG on any team.

He will play a few more seasons at a high level.

A team will pull the trigger.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Dallas would still absorb 19.6 million in 2017 in that scenario. A trade only works if team feels the conditional pick (likely a 4th - 6th rounder) is more value than 10 million in savings.
not with a trade after June 1st.....they save the full 14m of his 24.7m cap hit

(I still don't know where you are getting 10m from)

Wood

Reaction score
Someone will offer a 1st rnd pick for Romo. Mark my words. He is a special player and has all the intangible plus "it". A great teacher and a great team mate. He is RKG on any team.

He will play a few more seasons at a high level.

Jerry will not trade Tony to bad team. He sees him as a son. Likely destinations are Denver or Arizona. Dallas has an old QB (will be 37) who has considerable injury history who only wants to go to super bowl contending team. That's not alot of leverage for Cowboys.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I don't know if its a 1st, I think its something like a #2 and a conditional pick that could be anywhere from nothing up to a #1 depending on how Romo peforms.

But its nuts to say Romo is only worth a low round pick, that is what we gave up to get Brice Butler or Cassel when he was about to get cut.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
I don't know if its a 1st, I think its something like a #2 and a conditional pick that could be anywhere from nothing up to a #1 depending on how Romo peforms.

But its nuts to say Romo is only worth a low round pick, that is what we gave up to get Brice Butler or Cassel when he was about to get cut.

Exactly. People are saying 3rd or 4th... no way! We will get offered a 1st or conditional 1st. There is no doubt. Every team knows Romo is special.

Wood

Reaction score
not with a trade after June 1st.....they save the full 14m of his 24.7m cap hit

(I still don't know where you are getting 10m from)

easy. If Dallas trades Romo they save 5.1 million (24.7 cap hit (if stays with team) - 19.6 signing bonus acceleration. If Romo gets releases (24.7 cap hit (if stays with team) - 9.8 signing bonus acceleration (half of signing bonus hit) saves team $14.9 million. So 14.9 million (release savings) vs 5.1 million (trade savings) = 9.8 million savings by releasing vs trading him. I rounded it up.