Romo vs The Weather

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Didn't Romo grow up in Wisconsin? I'm also pretty sure he grew up idolizing Brett Farve, one the best cold weather quarterbacks to play the game. I may be wrong come sunday, but I get the feeling that too much is being made of the weather and Romo will actually have another 300 yard passing day this weekend.

Then again, I am a Cowboys homer.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TheEnigma;2460072 said:
Didn't Romo grow up in Wisconsin? I'm also pretty sure he grew up idolizing Brett Farve, one the best cold weather quarterbacks to play the game. I may be wrong come sunday, but I get the feeling that too much is being made of the weather and Romo will actually have another 300 yard passing day this weekend.

I'm not really worried about Romo.

I worry about our OL. They've been suspect against aggressive, blitzing teams all season. So much depends on which Flozell decides to show up.

I think 300 yards in a real stretch. How many teams actually throw for 300 yards in slop?

I think the predictions that this will be a low-scoring affair are right on the money. The Cowboys have problems running the ball in the best of conditions, against average run-defenses. This will make it hard for us to pass.

The game will come down to TOs.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Bizwah;2460092 said:
I'm not really worried about Romo.

I worry about our OL. They've been suspect against aggressive, blitzing teams all season. So much depends on which Flozell decides to show up.

I think 300 yards in a real stretch. How many teams actually throw for 300 yards in slop?

I think the predictions that this will be a low-scoring affair are right on the money. The Cowboys have problems running the ball in the best of conditions, against average run-defenses. This will make it hard for us to pass.

The game will come down to TOs.

it's times like this when i hate myself for not predicting any more games this season.:bang2:

i want to predict a score right now so bad it hurts.

followthestar

Reaction score
I like the idea of pounding the ball, successfully picking up 5 yards a pop and giving Romo time to go deep. I don't think it'll play out like that, though. I think the game will turn on our short passing game, to the TE's and RBs, running a few draws and screens. Either way, I have a feeling we'll be OK offense-wise. I just trust Romo to make plays when he needs to... :)

Eskimo

Reaction score
One of the big matchups this game is Gurode vs. Hampton - no doubt about it. Gurode is probably the only center in the league physical enough not to require double teams against Hampton. If he can handle Hampton and we can get on those ILBs, we have a shot at running the ball against them. It's time for Gurode to go earn his money.

I don't think we've gotten a chance to see Romo play much in bad weather since he's been the starting QB. Seems like we've had okay weather for most of our late season games the last couple of years.

Aikman was a notorious poor wet ball QB - something to do with the way he gripped the football. I guess we'll see how Romo does. On the plus side, the splint is off so his grip and ball security should be much better now.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was pretty cold in the last game of the season at Washington last year. And the offense looked like crap. Of course, TO didn't play and there was absolutely no motivation with home field advantage wrapped up. With something to play for, our guys should show up.

Switz

Reaction score
what is it with this weather BS?

Pittsburgh is NOT Green Bay cold....

Cowboys play in the NFC east...

Washington Phily(another PA team) and NYG

all Northeast teams and we have won what 17 division titles... playing in these types of conditions since what The George Washington Administration

get over the cold..

I am going to the game with just a wind breaker on(cowboys one and my Larry Brown Game shirt underneath :lmao: ) Seriouly I am..

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2460072 said:

he has been on the team since 03. He is used to living in this climate. Trust me I moved here in feb 03, romo came here in april 03!

I grew up in freezing cold Utica, NY. I played basketball outside my whole life in the snow, and tackle football in parking lots where the snow was about 2 feet deep, then plowed and soft enough for us!!!!!

My first trip home in the winter was christmas 03. After one summer here, I was freezing at home!!!

So your body changes. Him being from wisconsin means nothing anymore.

but the cold shouldnt bother him or any of our guys anyway, they will be fine once they get rolling.

on a sidenote, my favorite tv show is Chuck. All the episode titles are Chuck vs the sensai, chuck vs the fat lady...etc.....Romo vs the weather is just too funny.

Reaction score
I would think playing in a national televised NFL game, with the adrenaline pumping has a way of warming the body up. Weather should not be an issue, its the same for both teams no matter how much Pitt is "use to it".

Mental mistakes are what can kill us... Not the weather.

If they are truly focused on football all will be good. If not.. then it wont.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
yeah I mean...everyone forgets that all of those teams that went to Lambeau Field and lost, it had nothing to do with the weather - the Packers were just the better football team.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2460072 said:

Two issues with this:

1. The problem isn't the cold or snow, it is the condition of the field. Heinz Field is notoriously bad when it has been wet. It turns into a quagmire (giggity giggity) and is quite treacherous for runners.

2. Romo would not have much of a problem and isn't a concern. The RBs and WRs are though, particularly when trying to make cuts. A WR falls down and the DB picks off the pass, that's a real problem and we have seen it happen a number of times.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
TheEnigma;2460072 said:

I think he will have a lot of success -- everyone talks about the running game being so important in the mud and snow, but I tend to disagree. If the wind isn't blowing, I think a solid passing game can be deadly effective in those conditions. The running game can just get bogged down, you have fat offensive linemen falling all over the place and a RB just can't get any drive or acceleration going.

However, a receiver has the advantage. Once he makes a move or two, it takes the DB more time to recover than normal, and a QB (particularly an accurate one like Romo) finds that he has more space to throw into than usual. No, my friends, it isn't MBIII that is going to win this game for us -- it is our passing game (provided no wind).

cowboys2233

Reaction score
THUMPER;2460489 said:
2. A WR falls down and the DB picks off the pass, that's a real problem and we have seen it happen a number of times.

Or a DB falls down and it becomes a much bigger play for the WR. Remember Alvin Harper in the 1992 NFC championship? He almost housed it because the DB fell down, after he made a simple post move.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2460072 said:

I don't think being a homer on this one matters much, because I think it will be an advantage to the Cowboys honestly.

Think about it for a second - Romo's pinkie is still screwed up, he has stated this himself. He said that in the second half it starts getting sore. You and I both know that when he's helathy, he can put up some ridiculous numbers, and we also both know that freezing temps and snow make exposed fingers go numb.

Numb=Painless
Painless=Healthy
Healthy=Win

But what do I know anyway, I'm just a stupid Commanders fan :rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Extreme;2460542 said:
I don't think being a homer on this one matters much, because I think it will be an advantage to the Cowboys honestly.

Think about it for a second - Romo's pinkie is still screwed up, he has stated this himself. He said that in the second half it starts getting sore. You and I both know that when he's helathy, he can put up some ridiculous numbers, and we also both know that freezing temps and snow make exposed fingers go numb.

Numb=Painless
Painless=Healthy
Healthy=Win

actually he said this week his pinkie is feeling good. he practiced without his splint and may play without it.

and his numbers were pretty ridiculous the last two weeks with it.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Extreme;2460542 said:

Think about it for a second - Romo's pinkie is still screwed up, he has stated this himself.

So when he says he has started practicing without the splint and says he doesn't feel pain anymore, you take this to mean his pinkie is still screwed up?

Pay attention boy! Oh, and losing 3 of your last 4 games does not put you on the path to greatness. Just wanted you to know.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2460553 said:
Pay attention boy! Oh, and losing 3 of your last 4 games does not put you on the path to greatness. Just wanted you to know.
Neither does making a racist statement. And pay attention to my posts, I have made it clear I think the Commanders are sorry. I've been a fan my whole life, I've accepted it. :)

Rudy

Reaction score
Extreme;2460563 said:
Neither does making a racist statement.

Pardon my ignorance if need-be, but he said something racist? Or do you mean racist like anti-Skins? I'm lost.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Rudy;2460567 said:
Pardon my ignorance if need-be, but he said something racist? Or do you mean racist like anti-Skins? I'm lost.

Yeah, when the heck did I say something racist? Saying "boy" is racist? Are you an idiot? How the heck would I know if you're white, black or purple? Using "boy" may be condescending, but racist? Dude, get over yourself.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Extreme;2460563 said:
Neither does making a racist statement. And pay attention to my posts, I have made it clear I think the Commanders are sorry. I've been a fan my whole life, I've accepted it. :)

Wait a minute.

Did I make an ignore list?

Cause if I did, Whos awesome on this flight.....This guy......