Romo's Back and Coverage Sacks

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I don't want to see him taking sacks either but I also know there is a mentality much like Rothisbruger where Romo will look to extend plays. Line as I said has done the job, they can't hold out a pass rush over 4 seconds that is asking a heck of a lot. Romo could throw more passes away but his nature seems to suggest he will continue to look to extend plays to make plays.

To me the multiple rusher/free man running at him type should result in him throwing it away, and I for one see , as stated in other threads, see that being the next improvement we will see regarding his game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To me the multiple rusher/free man running at him type should result in him throwing it away, and I for one see , as stated in other threads, see that being the next improvement we will see regarding his game.

True but then it is not always easy throwing it away, if you are in the pocket and throw it away that is grounding result is no different than the sack. I would like to see Romo throw a few more away than he does currently but I also know much of this is who he is as a QB and those instincts seldom change.

perrykemp

Reaction score
He does it on occasion with Beasley and Witten, but I agree that Romo doesn't make those types of throws as often as some other QBs. They have too many other needs, but I would love for them to sign Randle Cobb as a free agent. He kills defenses on the quick slant route.

Shocked the Packers might let Randall Cobb go but that's the Ted Thompson way I guess.

Would love to see Cobb in Dallas but it's seemingly impossible cap wise.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's not as though he takes hard hits on the coverage sacks he accepts. He is pretty judicious in the hits he takes, falling to the ground to prevent a big hit. I'm OK with that.

I also don't think we can expect Romo to suddenly become something he isn't. He has never been a QB who throws the ball away any time he's under pressure (for one thing, he seems to get grounding called on him even when he chunks it 30 yards downfield and out of bounds). He has always been a QB who trusts his instincts to get out of trouble and make a play, so he's going to hold on to the ball at times for 6 or 7 seconds or more. Those things are going to leave him in danger of getting sacked when he's looking downfield trying to make a play, and Romo has learned to get to the ground and accept the sack at times rather than take the hit or make a mistake.

I do believe Linehan needs to do a better job with the short passing game, especially against the blitz, which we didn't handle as well as we could have several times during the season, but we also can't get away from the things that made this offense and Romo most effective this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shocked the Packers might let Randall Cobb go but that's the Ted Thompson way I guess.

Would love to see Cobb in Dallas but it's seemingly impossible cap wise.

Yes, it's very difficult to predict what the packer will do in terms of paying players. They will let some good players leave.

Either way, I'm sure it's a pipe dream that the Cowboys would spend their FA money on Cobb.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
True but then it is not always easy throwing it away, if you are in the pocket and throw it away that is grounding result is no different than the sack. I would like to see Romo throw a few more away than he does currently but I also know much of this is who he is as a QB and those instincts seldom change.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if he throws it out of bounds to the sidelines , that's not grounding is it ? Thats more of what I was thinking about, as I too like his scramble, make a play style.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct me if I'm wrong but if he throws it out of bounds to the sidelines , that's not grounding is it ? Thats more of what I was thinking about, as I too like his scramble, make a play style.

If he is in the pocket and throws it out of bounds, it is grounding unless he threw it directly over a Cowboys receivers head. If he is out of the pocket, then it would not be grounding.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
If he is in the pocket and throws it out of bounds, it is grounding unless he threw it directly over a Cowboys receivers head. If he is out of the pocket, then it would not be grounding.

Thanks. Forgot that part.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

If he is in the pocket and throws it away even past the line of scrimmage with no one around it is grounding. Once he gets out of the pocket past the tackles he can throw it away as long as it goes past the line of scrimmage.
However once Romo gets outside the pocket I think that is where his natural instincts kick in for good and bad. If you look back at the Houston game he held the ball, got away from Watts and hit Dez for a big play or the Seattle game on 3 and 15 or 20 where he had to move around then getting outside hitting Williams for the 1st those are the big positives that separates Romo from many other QB's.
Not sure he will change his play regarding this. As for the OL again you can't expect this or any line to give a guy 5 or 6 seconds in the pockets on a regular basis, just not reality.

jrumann59

Reaction score
to the OP if there is one part of Romo's game that is open to criticism is the fact he holds the ball way to long and takes unnecessary sacks. The last two weeks are prime examples he could have avoided at least 4 sacks in areas but held on too long and DOES NOT THROW THE BALL AWAY.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ok some good feedback. Some bh-ness also but that's to be expected. Like I said I'm going to refrain from being too harsh. The coaches got optimum performance out of Romo in a limited capacity due to his back injury in the sense that he had to be more deliberate on his passes as opposed to the old gunslinger ways. The end result was far fewer interceptions but more sacks, the lesser of two evils.

Completion rate went up as well as his QB rating so the numbers are telling in some aspects but not in others. The main thing as many having acknowledged is that Romo can't continue to take that kind of pounding so some tweaking needs to be implemented, part of the process..

-Chow

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do think Romo's health will be better entering next season, and I do think he will trust the risk of a throw-away (and is IS very risky, btw) more as a result.

He had a preposterously good season this year. No person in their right mind would say otherwise.
But I guarantee that he thinks he can improve on some things. That's one reason why I love the guy--he is always looking for ways to get better.
He has already specifically said that there were a few sacks he knew he should take (and just live for another play) and a few that he'd like to have back. He's honest about it.

The result, for the most part during the season was that we still ended up scoring when he took a coverage sack. That sure beats an attempted throwaway that could get a grounding penalty, or a slight underthrow that gets picked, or a tipped off-balance pass that gets picked, or a fumble while trying find room to throw it away, or an injury, etc.

Last edited:

remdak

Reaction score
I do think Romo's health will be better entering next season, and I do think he will trust the risk of a throw-away (and is IS very risky, btw) more as a result.

He had a preposterously good season this year. No person in their right mind would say otherwise.
But I guarantee that he thinks he can improve on some things. That's one reason why I love the guy--he is always looking for ways to get better.
He has already specifically said that there were a few sacks he knew he should take (and just live for another play) and a few that he'd like to have back. He's honest about it.

The result, for the most part during the season was that we still ended up scoring when he took a coverage sack. That sure beats an attempted throwaway that could get a grounding penalty, or a slight underthrow that gets picked, or a tipped off-balance pass that gets picked, or a fumble while trying find room to throw it away, or an injury, etc.

Yeah, but he's still human. He's going to make some mistakes. It would be nice if the defense would improve enough so that we could afford a few mistakes. If Romo would have played like Russell Wilson did the first 55 minutes of that game yesterday, the Cowboys would have been losing by 4-5 TD's, and would not have had a chance for a miracle comeback.

Plumfool

Reaction score
IMO Romo should be more mindful of when to throw it away. Once the team is in a postion to get points don't take unnecessary sacks. Don't make kicks harder than need be.

TheHustler

Reaction score
It's 2015, we had a tremendous year with 13 wins and I decided once we started winning big games (Which we have) I was going to refrain from speaking so harshly about our QB on this fan site because:

A) The Back, B) He's a warrior and he cares, and C) This is The Romozone 1st, Cowboyszone 2nd.

I stopped reading here. You didn't say Romo nearly enough times to keep my interest.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I stopped reading here. You didn't say Romo nearly enough times to keep my interest.

I'll give u the cliff notes, hope he gets healthy and eats less sacks by throwing the ball away...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Ok some good feedback. Some bh-ness also but that's to be expected. Like I said I'm going to refrain from being too harsh. The coaches got optimum performance out of Romo in a limited capacity due to his back injury in the sense that he had to be more deliberate on his passes as opposed to the old gunslinger ways. The end result was far fewer interceptions but more sacks, the lesser of two evils.

Completion rate went up as well as his QB rating so the numbers are telling in some aspects but not in others. The main thing as many having acknowledged is that Romo can't continue to take that kind of pounding so some tweaking needs to be implemented, part of the process..

-Chow

live in the real world. There will be virtually no change. When a QB has his best statistical season there will be little if any change. Welcome to the REAL world where if it ain't broken don't fix it. You don't like that;leave.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I also don't think we can expect Romo to suddenly become something he isn't. He has never been a QB who throws the ball away any time he's under pressure (for one thing, he seems to get grounding called on him even when he chunks it 30 yards downfield and out of bounds). He has always been a QB who trusts his instincts to get out of trouble and make a play, so he's going to hold on to the ball at times for 6 or 7 seconds or more. Those things are going to leave him in danger of getting sacked when he's looking downfield trying to make a play, and Romo has learned to get to the ground and accept the sack at times rather than take the hit or make a mistake.

I do believe Linehan needs to do a better job with the short passing game, especially against the blitz, which we didn't handle as well as we could have several times during the season, but we also can't get away from the things that made this offense and Romo most effective this season.

Some quick hitter routes, like Denver/NE should be part of our game, in addition to " legal pick/rub routes". Watching Brady/Manning they seem to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds tops on most of their throws.

foofighters

Reaction score
This just proves what I have been saying for years. If Romo wins a SB, there will be that one Cowboys fan that says, "Ya but...."

burmafrd

Reaction score
This just proves what I have been saying for years. If Romo wins a SB, there will be that one Cowboys fan that says, "Ya but...."

Romo could win 4 in a row and be MVP in all of them and clove and ufcrules and others would still hate him. Its a mental illness.