Romo's case for MVP

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think RODGERS sealed it yesterday after coming back and leading them to victory

DFWJC

Reaction score
Aside from the MVP debate, did he up himself to elite status in the eyes of others? It is quite clear that Flacco, Ryan, Cutler, Eli and Rivers are behind him and I would debate Brees too as well.

Rivers is debatable, but guys like Flacco, Cutler and Eli have never consentingly been as good as Romo.

At least for this year, I think Romo definitely outplayed Brees. Career-wise, Brees gets the nod...but that's not the topic.

As for Romo being the league MVP...I'm just glad he's seriously in the conversation.
A case can be made for 3-4 others (Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Watt) as well. It's just nice that he is getting well-deserved recognition.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
He should win it. To me, it is not even a debate. I hate the fact that supposedly sports intelligent writers would let silly bias factor into something like this. Another flawed system...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
He should win it. To me, it is not even a debate. I hate the fact that supposedly sports intelligent writers would let silly bias factor into something like this. Another flawed system...

Ken Stabler in 1976 was the last player to lead the league in all four categories and not get the award. He was hated by the press.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I was just reading Peter King's thought on MVP (he is splitting his vote between Rodgers and Watt) and I went and took a closer look at Watt's stats.

Watt's stats are amazing. If someone where to really challenge me on WHY Romo vs Watt, I'd have a tough time make a unbiased judgement call:
  • 20.5 sacks
  • 5 fumble recoveries
  • 1 interception
  • 5 TDs total
  • 1 safety
  • 10 passed defensed
  • 29 tackles for a loss
Yes his team didn't get into the playoffs but they did have a winning record. I guess this comes down to that offensive players basically ALWAYS win it, however, one thing I keep thinking of is that both Rodgers / Romo both had seasons that look somewhat typical of what the leading QB in the league has ever year recently. Great seasons -- not as good as Manning's last year or Rodgers in 2011 but better than Brady's in 2010, etc.

Now look at Watt's stats and tell me how far back you have to go to find a collection of stats that look like his? I took a quick look at Demarcus Ware's amazing 2008 season:
  • 20 sacks
  • 1 fumble recovery
  • 0 Interceptions
  • 1 TD total
  • 0 safeties
  • 2 passes defensed
  • (Undetermined tackles for loss - not listed in 2008)
There is a pretty wide gulf there.

I honestly believe that Watt just had the best defensive season we've seen in a long long time and there is a very STRONG case for Watt for MVP as well.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I was just reading Peter King's thought on MVP (he is splitting his vote between Rodgers and Watt) and I went and took a closer look at Watt's stats.

Watt's stats are amazing. If someone where to really challenge me on WHY Romo vs Watt, I'd have a tough time make a unbiased judgement call:
  • 20.5 sacks
  • 5 fumble recoveries
  • 1 interception
  • 5 TDs total
  • 1 safety
  • 10 passed defensed
  • 29 tackles for a loss
Yes his team didn't get into the playoffs but they did have a winning record. I guess this comes down to that offensive players basically ALWAYS win it, however, one thing I keep thinking of is that both Rodgers / Romo both had seasons that look somewhat typical of what the leading QB in the league has ever year recently. Great seasons -- not as good as Manning's last year or Rodgers in 2011 but better than Brady's in 2010, etc.

Now look at Watt's stats and tell me how far back you have to go to find a collection of stats that look like his? I took a quick look at Demarcus Ware's amazing 2008 season:
  • 20 sacks
  • 1 fumble recovery
  • 0 Interceptions
  • 1 TD total
  • 0 safeties
  • 2 passes defensed
  • (Undetermined tackles for loss - not listed in 2008)
There is a pretty wide gulf there.

I honestly believe that Watt just had the best defensive season we've seen in a long long time and there is a very STRONG case for Watt for MVP as well.

Here's the deal...its valuable.

Watt can sit and the texans would be losers just like they are with him playing.

Tony sits and dallas loses...tony plays and dallas wins.

That is what is valuable. If the Texans finished 12-4 because of watt, then by all means, give that man the award.

But they didnt. They sucked the same with or without him. Just like our defense last year vs. this year had a lot of similarities with or without ware.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Watt can sit and the texans would be losers just like they are with him playing.

That is what is valuable. If the Texans finished 12-4 because of watt, then by all means, give that man the award.

But they didnt. They sucked the same with or without him. Just like our defense last year vs. this year had a lot of similarities with or without ware.

That's the 'QB is always the most valuable player on the field' argument and truthfully I pretty much buy into that line of thinking. No position influences the outcomes of games as much as the QB.

Having said it does pretty much mean a defensive player will never be in the running -- which doesn't strike me as quite right either...

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

I agree that the MVP should be all about value -- it's not "best athlete" or "most outstanding football player"; for that reason, the QB choice is usually appropriate.

However, this year is looking like a toss-up between Rogers and Romo, and Watt may therefore win by default.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
That's the 'QB is always the most valuable player on the field' argument and truthfully I pretty much buy into that line of thinking. No position influences the outcomes of games as much as the QB.

Having said it does pretty much mean a defensive player will never be in the running -- which doesn't strike me as quite right either...

It is much easier to find defensive guys. Its a supply/demand deal. Most of your nfl teams have good serviceable DB's and the "elites" dont offer much advantage over the others. As an example.

But QB...there are teams out there that dont have a serviceable QB. So their supply is smaller, which makes the delta between serviceable and elites VERY wide.

Its not that the position is so much more important. Its that finding an elite to fill it is much more difficult.

perrykemp

Reaction score
It is much easier to find defensive guys. Its a supply/demand deal. Most of your nfl teams have good serviceable DB's and the "elites" dont offer much advantage over the others. As an example.

But QB...there are teams out there that dont have a serviceable QB. So their supply is smaller, which makes the delta between serviceable and elites VERY wide.

Its not that the position is so much more important. Its that finding an elite to fill it is much more difficult.

I agree with everything you just said.

I just wonder if everyone here would be sporting the same tune if the tables where turned and Watt was on a 9-7 Cowboys club that just missed the playoffs.

:eek:

Derinyar

Reaction score
JJ Watt may well be the best player in the NFL right now. JJ Watt is not the most valuable player in the NFL right now. I don't think there's anything inconsistent in those two statements. Its just the nature of the way the sport is setup around the QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is only the 7th time in the last 38 seasons that a QB has led the league in passer rating, completion percentage, touchdown percentage, and yards per pass attempt. The other six QB who did it all won the Most Valuable Player award for that season.

2014 Romo
2007 Brady
2001 Warner
1999 Warner
1994 Young
1992 Young
1989 Montana

bold = MVP
Someone please send this to all the idiots at ESPN.