Ron Springs in a coma

juck

Reaction score
cmon Ron hang in there.man this is the most loyal friendship stories i have ever heard.everson and ron great players in life till the end of time.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
God has a plan.

We like to argue about our football...but sometimes life gets in your way.

I just feel that Ron was supposed to be at that game...

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Skip;1714742 said:
Hi Thumper,

Man this pains my heart as he was one of my all time favorites. Probably not in the top 5 or 10, but I will never forget he was the best we ever had at running the middle screen. He was exceptional at that.

God Bless Ron and family and I pray he pulls through this. Walls was a true friend to him and I just hope he ends up doing better and lives a long life!

Skip

Hey Skip,

This is very bad news but there is always hope.

My favorite Ron Springs play was a HB-option TD pass to Danny White (1985?).

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
My first ever game to attend at Dallas was this year. It was the opener where we honored both Ron and Everson. I am forever grateful to have been there to honor these guys.

Ron, The entire Cowboy Nation is praying and pulling for you. Stay strong 20, stay strong!

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
horrible news..

ron was a great player for us.

what everson did for a teammate is one of the most touching things i've ever heard of.....ever!

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1714558 said:
Steven Dennis was just on 103.3 and he said Ron's heart stopped during the surgery and he never came out of the anesthesia. Said there's very little brain activity and he's on a respirator.

:( :( :(

My prayers with the family. :crossed:

Viper

Reaction score
prayers for him and his family, may God hold you tightly in his arms.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Not sure how this works but if family has to make the tough call here,

healthy organs could be donated.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors;1715195 said:
Not sure how this works but if family has to make the tough call here,

healthy organs could be donated.
Ron Springs is a diabetic. He cannot be a donor.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Ex-Cowboy Ron Springs has 'no hope' of surviving

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/101807dnsposprings.17d5d351b.html

[SIZE=+1]Former running back is in coma in Dallas hospital[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]02:35 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
bhorn@***BANNED-URL***
[/SIZE]

Doctors on Wednesday told the family of former Dallas Cowboys running back Ron Springs, hospitalized in a coma, there is no hope he will survive, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
Springs, 50, has been unconscious since soon after he entered Dallas Medical City Hospital last week for what friends say he believed was a routine medical procedure to remove a cyst from one of his arms.
It remains unclear how or why Springs lapsed into a coma. The hospital has refused comment, and family members have been unavailable.
Seven months ago, Springs received a healthy kidney from former Cowboys teammate Everson Walls. That marked the first organ transplant involving former U.S. professional teammates.
The Springs family is expected to consider the possibility of donating any usable organs he might have to help others.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Best wishes for Ron and his family. Hang in there buddy!!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Springs Losing His Battle For Life
site_divider_720.gif
spagnola_50.jpg
Mickey Spagnola - Email
DallasCowboys.com Columnist
October 17, 2007 7:31 PM

IRVING, Texas
- Apparently former Cowboys running back Ron Springs, who sped into a nation's conscience when receiving a donated kidney from former Cowboys teammate Everson Walls some seven months ago, is losing his battle for a continued life.

Doctors at Dallas Medical City Hospital have told his family members Springs has little hope of surviving after lapsing into a coma on Saturday during a procedure to remove a cyst from his elbow. A former teammate said Springs has been on a respirator ever since the surgery and that no brain activity has been detected.

The seriousness of Springs' condition was emphasized earlier in the week when the Washington Commanders allowed his son, starting cornerback Shawn Springs, to leave town so he could be at his father's side in Dallas.

"(Shawn) has flown down there - it's a very tough time for them because I think it's very, very serious," Commanders coach Joe Gibbs told the Associated Press on Tuesday.

Medical City has not released any comment or details of Springs' condition, but those in the Cowboys organization with knowledge of the situation confirmed the seriousness of the situation.

Springs and Walls created national headlines back in April when Walls donated one of his kidneys to Springs, who had been suffering from the effects of diabetes since the early 1990's. The diabetes caused the amputation of his right foot and eventual kidney failure, which put Springs on a national donor list.

When no match could be made, and with Springs' condition rapidly deteriorating, his best friend Walls stepped forward to become a live organ donor, having one of his kidneys removed and transplanted into Springs. The procedure was a widely-acclaimed success, with Springs showing instant signs of improvement and Walls recovering nicely.

The two former Cowboys quickly mobilized to begin the Gift For Life Foundation, a charity to promote live donor awareness nationwide, and the Cowboys organization helped the cause with a press conference on Aug. 14, recognizing the foundation and naming Springs and Walls honorary captains for the season-opening Sunday night, nationally-televised game against the Giants at Texas Stadium. Walls would push Springs in his wheelchair to midfield for the coin toss.

"I took it for granted," said Springs back in August, referring to when he first learned of his diabetes. "I thought I could work out, eat right and I'd be OK. I didn't stay on top of it. I've had heart failure, eye problems and amputations.

"They don't have to honor me because I received the kidney. It's Everson who did the wonderful job in giving me the kidney."

Springs, a Cowboys' fifth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 1979, played for the Cowboys for six seasons, through 1984. He would go on to play two more seasons with Tampa Bay, and retired from the NFL following the 1986 season.