Rookie RBs... after 5 weeks

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here are the stats on the rookie RBs thru week 5.

Name...Rush Yds..Rec Yds..Ttl Yds ...TDs
M Forte........383......172.....555........4
C Johnson.....381.......69.....450........3
S Slaton.......285......100.....385........4
D McFadden...272......43......315.......1
J Stewert......269........8......277.......4
F Jones.........244......10......254.......4
K Smith.........133......78......211.......2
T Hightower...110......92......202.......5
J Charles....... 98.......68......166.......0
R Rice............85.......19......104.......0
R Mendenhall...58......17........75.......0
T Choice.........26......2.........28.......0

---------------
some notes:
*Forte is steady at the top so far with most opportunites by far
*Slaton is the biggest surprise to me. 10th RB taken and looks very solid
*The Ravens were the 1st to fully stop CJ...but they do that to everyone
*Felix Jones is climbing the charts despite getting limited touches....and he averages a crazy 8.8 yards per touch..by far the most

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I wonder what the yards per attempt in rushing and receiving look like. I bet Felix is at or near the top in yards per carry.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I wish Choice would get 3-5 touches per game.:pray:

DFWJC

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2313488 said:
I wonder what the yards per attempt in rushing and receiving look like. I bet Felix is at or near the top in yards per carry.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the notes. He averages 8.8 yards per touch (9.0 rushing and 5 receiving)....but he only has 29 touches so far, so it's still early. Impressive nevertheless.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
While I see the "want" in wanting to see this, I find it pointless for actually grading running backs as they are in different situations. Forte is leading, but he is also the only starting RB of the bunch I believe.

I mean if you gave Felix Jones the same amount of carries he would have 963 yards! (obviously he wouldn't actually average 9 yards per carry with 107 carries)

Forte is only averaging 3.5YPC, Chris Johnson is averaging 4.5YPC but doesn't appear that Johnson is actually doing better than Forte because Johnson doesn't get as many carries because LeDale White and Jones doesn't get as many carries because of Barber.

<shrug>

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2313488 said:

Jones is averaging 9 yard per carry. If he had Forte's touches, he would be close to 1,000 yards! Of course he won't actually average 9 yards per carry on a 100 carries though... It's not likely anyhow.

Temo

Reaction score
Man... can ANYONE run on that Ravens Defense?

adamknite

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2313488 said:

Yards per touch (offensive)

F. Jones : 8.8
Forte: 4.3
McFadden: 5.4
Chris Johnson: 4.6
Slaton: 5.3
Stewart: 4.3

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2313492 said:
I wish Choice would get 3-5 touches per game.:pray:

Why? Just so he gets stats? Cause he's not better than either Barber or Felix.

FCBarca

Reaction score
My early pick was CJ for Offensive ROY but he'll likely have to beat out either Forte or DeSean, to do it.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
DFWJC;2313494 said:
Yeah, I mentioned that in the notes. He averages 8.8 yards per touch (9.0 rushing and 5 receiving)....but he only has 29 touches so far, so it's still early. Impressive nevertheless.

nyc;2313512 said:
Jones is averaging 9 yard per carry. If he had Forte's touches, he would be close to 1,000 yards! Of course he won't actually average 9 yards per carry on a 100 carries though... It's not likely anyhow.

adamknite;2313516 said:
Yards per touch (offensive)

F. Jones : 8.8
Forte: 4.3
McFadden: 5.4
Chris Johnson: 4.6
Slaton: 5.3
Stewart: 4.3
Thanks, guys.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
FCBarca;2313536 said:
My early pick was CJ for Offensive ROY but he'll likely have to beat out either Forte or DeSean, to do it.

Kills me that DeSean was there for the taking, and we weren't very high on him at all.

FCBarca

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2313557 said:
Kills me that DeSean was there for the taking, and we weren't very high on him at all.

I'd make a lousy GM on that one too, I preferred CJ over Felix and wasn't high on DeSean either. :banghead:

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
FCBarca;2313565 said:
I'd make a lousy GM on that one too, I preferred CJ over Felix and wasn't high on DeSean either. :banghead:

Well I'm from SEC country and saw Felix and McFadden live twice, I was so caught up in the McFadden hype I forgot about that guy that averaged 8 YPC behind the same o-line.

But Jackson was so explosive in college, labeling him small with attitude problems wasn't nearly enough for me to lose faith in a 'playmaker'. Those guys are few and far between.

FCBarca

Reaction score
GoinForSix;2313596 said:
Well I'm from SEC country and saw Felix and McFadden live twice, I was so caught up in the McFadden hype I forgot about that guy that averaged 8 YPC behind the same o-line.

But Jackson was so explosive in college, labeling him small with attitude problems wasn't nearly enough for me to lose faith in a 'playmaker'. Those guys are few and far between.

I rarely saw Felix in college but all of the highlights I saw of Felix had him running to the sidelines so much that I feared we were getting a pretty one dimensional runner...Turns out the guy has some nice moves after all.

As for DeSean, I was more worried about his attitude and head than his abilities...Picking a good WR without him being a nutjob seems harder and harder to do these days

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;2313505 said:
While I see the "want" in wanting to see this, I find it pointless for actually grading running backs as they are in different situations. Forte is leading, but he is also the only starting RB of the bunch I believe.

I mean if you gave Felix Jones the same amount of carries he would have 963 yards! (obviously he wouldn't actually average 9 yards per carry with 107 carries)

Forte is only averaging 3.5YPC, Chris Johnson is averaging 4.5YPC but doesn't appear that Johnson is actually doing better than Forte because Johnson doesn't get as many carries because LeDale White and Jones doesn't get as many carries because of Barber.

<shrug>

Totally agree. Nobody is grading anything...just posting raw numbers each week for anyone that is curious.
I for sure know that these limited data do not say who is better than who.....that is measured over time and is dependent on each situation.

I guess I could add number of carries and recepts columns but I'm too lazy right now.

DFWJC

Reaction score
FCBarca;2313565 said:
The jury is for sure still out on Felix vs CJ...so don't beat yourself up. I think both teams are very happy right now.

FCBarca

Reaction score
DFWJC;2313646 said:
The jury is for sure still out on Felix vs CJ...so don't beat yourself up. I think both teams are very happy right now.

Well, as good as CJ looks, I'm pretty content with how versatile Felix is....A win win is a lot better than seeing CJ flourish and Felix being a bust...And yeah, still pretty early

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mcfadden will turn out fine too...but besides the injury, the word in Oakland is that he a huge liability in blitz pickup right now. That's pretty common for rookies, but for some reason many in this group are already decent at it.

FCBarca

Reaction score
DFWJC;2313664 said:
Mcfadden will turn out fine too...but besides the injury, the word in Oakland is that he a huge liability in blitz pickup right now. That's pretty common for rookies, but some reason many in this group are already decent at it.

I hear he also has a case of the fumbles too