Roster Math. Not "who" but how many at each position?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Agreed. If you do, you squeeze someone off the roster who may be way closer to helping this team than a third QB.
Does the #3 QB have any trade value (Rush or Lance) to a team like MIN, LV, or SEA?

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Does the #3 QB have any trade value (Rush or Lance) to a team like MIN, LV, or SEA?
Likely better options out there for teams other than Lance. He is a 4th year guy who got a real chance with the Cowboys this preseason and failed to impress.

Cooper Rush may have some minimal trade value but not much. And QB2 is a pretty important spot. He is of much more value to the Cowboys than any other team.

I too would not keep three quarterbacks on the active 53 man roster. But we all know what Jerry Jones said and seemed committed to doing. It will be an interesting few days leading up to the roster cut.

If Lance is moved to the practice squad it will be interesting to see if any other team will take a flyer and sign him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Likely better options out there for teams other than Lance. He is a 4th year guy who got a real chance with the Cowboys this preseason and failed to impress.
Contract year and clearly not ready to play.

Someone might be interested if they can get a long term contract real cheap to develop him. But the current contract has no value.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Do their #3 QBs have any trade value to the Cowboys?
Absolutely someone will give you a later round pick for Rush. Veteran backup who has real game experience and has played adequately every time he was called up.

But now do you want Lance to be the only other QB on the roster?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Id carry 4 rbs, and 2 tightends. 1 FB.. Luepke don't forget, can play HBACK, tightend AND TAILBACK. He can be that 3rd tightend if needed. I see no way we carry 3 QBs on the active.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the who is going to dictate how many. There are players I am sure they don't want to lose if they cut them. They kept Eric Scott on the roster last year, for example.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think we might see a couple names get cut we don't expect. It will be shocking. Thats how deep we are at certain spots. Do NOT be shocked to see a big name rb get cut by us.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I almost read the title as "Roster McMath..." glad the preseason is over now.

The big problems are what two viable players will have to be cut so that GM Jerry can pretend to save face on the Elliott and Lance moves.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not what you would do, but how you think they're thinking about it

Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (26)
QB = 3
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 4
WR = 6
OL = 9

Defense (24)
DT = 5
DE/Edge = 5
LB = 5
CB = 5
S = 4
no way no how they carry 4 tights. They will carry 2 and 1 FB. Luepke will act as the 3rd tighend on 3 TE sets. They like his versatility. Thats how they will roll in my opinion. I hate it but I see us cutting guys that can make other rosters at TE. We are deep there. Schoonmaker might end up on IR (or be the 2nd TE)to start the year so we cannot lose him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Absolutely someone will give you a later round pick for Rush. Veteran backup who has real game experience and has played adequately every time he was called up.
I agree ......... you can get a late-rounder for Rush but the problem is his value to us is more than a late-round pick coz Lance isn't ready.