Roster Math. Not "who" but how many at each position?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not what you would do, but how you think they're thinking about it

Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (26)
QB = 3
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 4
WR = 6
OL = 9

Defense (24)
DT = 5
DE/Edge = 5
LB = 5
CB = 5
S = 4
I think our injuries actually helped us from losing some talented players. Keeping Trance on the roster may end up costing us someone we wanted to keep.

Maybe we can trade someone from one of our deep groups. Maybe a safety or a TE.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't you some sort of roster exception for the #3 QB though? I think the league enacted that after that game where Denver? had to start a wide receiver at QB because of Covid and injuries.. It was a REALLY bad look and I support the rule.
I agree with the rule too actually. Lance was the 3rd QB last year. I guess after processing Lance’s development this summer, I just believe that a guy in his 4th year that is still making bad mental mistakes as a QB may not be worth wasting more time on. Doesn’t matter what I think though, lol. He’s gonna be here.

Here’s a good link to the NFL rule regarding emergency QBs:
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-emergency-third-quarterback-rule-questions-and-answers

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree with the rule too actually. Lance was the 3rd QB last year. I guess after processing Lance’s development this summer, I just believe that a guy in his 4th year that is still making bad mental mistakes as a QB may not be worth wasting more time on. Doesn’t matter what I think though, lol. He’s gonna be here.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-emergency-third-quarterback-rule-questions-and-answers
More importantly if he is going to be on the roster this year, he will be on it next year. Why would we risk losing a player on waivers for a QB who is not going to play this year and not be on the roster next year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I agree ......... you can get a late-rounder for Rush but the problem is his value to us is more than a late-round pick coz Lance isn't ready.
Heck, as bad as the Giants are, they might give a 3rd for Rush. He would probably start right away for them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I dunno.. Romo looked even worse in that Monday night game in Buffalo man. I think that was year 4 for him too. But I don't think Romo was ever this inconsistent throwing the ball. Lance throws "hospital" balls on that slant route far too often for my tastes. And his ability to overshoot guys in the flat is equally concerning.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I dunno.. Romo looked even worse in that Monday night game in Buffalo man. I think that was year 4 for him too. But I don't think Romo was ever this inconsistent throwing the ball. Lance throws "hospital" balls on that slant route far too often for my tastes. And his ability to overshoot guys in the flat is equally concerning.
Comparing any QB in a real game to a QB in preseason game 3 is not reality.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Comparing any QB in a real game to a QB in preseason game 3 is not reality.
True but that game was what it reminded me of. If they had somehow managed to win it too that would have made it an identical twin. Not defending Lance at all by the way. I thought some of those picks especially the ones where he was outside the pocket and could have just heaved it into the stands were inexcusable. I can handle misreading the coverage and getting fooled. Trying to throw the ball through a sea of other color jerseys is just stoopid.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
True but that game was what it reminded me of. If they had somehow managed to win it too that would have made it an identical twin. Not defending Lance at all by the way. I thought some of those picks especially the ones where he was outside the pocket and could have just heaved it into the stands were inexcusable. I can handle misreading the coverage and getting fooled. Trying to throw the ball through a sea of other color jerseys is just stoopid.
The tip, the wr strip, and the end of game INTs were excusable.

blueblood70

Reaction score
you cant have an emergency QB if you don’t. Lance contract is guaranteed so he’s not getting cut but don’t think he’s ready to be the backup
doesn't the practice squad have protected players like you can bring Lance onto the practice squad doesn't count against the 53 and you bring them up each week for the emergency third which doesn't count as your active game day player? It's who you can put on the practice squad and believe they won't be taken that's how you try to do the roster each week you can send someone down and then bring them back up when needed.. So which quarterback do you think on the practice squad wouldn't get taken I mean with his contract being so big and guaranteed he probably can't be taken off the practice squad or won't be but I also don't remember the rules I know they allow you to protect some practice squad players now.

conner01

Reaction score
doesn't the practice squad have protected players like you can bring Lance onto the practice squad doesn't count against the 53 and you bring them up each week for the emergency third which doesn't count as your active game day player? It's who you can put on the practice squad and believe they won't be taken that's how you try to do the roster each week you can send someone down and then bring them back up when needed.. So which quarterback do you think on the practice squad wouldn't get taken I mean with his contract being so big and guaranteed he probably can't be taken off the practice squad or won't be but I also don't remember the rules I know they allow you to protect some practice squad players now.
You may be right.

conner01

Reaction score
If Jerry won't budge then they need to use Lance as a scat back and slot receiver so we can at least use his legs. He then becomes a portable 3rd QB in an emergency, but you gotta drop one of the bottom guys to do so.
The bigger impact would be on game day roster. And running from QB and rb positions are much different

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Pfffff.....Yeah the guy that led the NFL in passing and rushing in the preseason....has ZERO value.
If you were a GM trading for him what would you place his value at? Yes he led the league in paasing yards and rushing yards but also led the league in ints and was 18th in preseason passer rating.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The tip, the wr strip, and the end of game INTs were excusable.
The Chargers homer announcers said it was Stephens who fumbled on that pass over the middle but I thought it was someone else. Speaking of which how annoying is Dan Fouts to listen to!? No wonder he got dropped off the network teams!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
My take was based on (a) just how many they were already going to be bringing to camp, and then they went and blew their biggest bonus in the UDFA market on... what position?... yeah, TE....

And... (b) the seeming interest implicit in different things McCarthy has said over the last month that plausibly lead to the conclusion that the TE body type is especially going to be useful with the new kickoff rules.

But I'll grant your theory holds water... I went back to look, and McC GB teams in-season routinely featured exactly what you suggested... 2 TEs and a FB.

Mind you, this would not be the first time that a McC team counted 4 TEs, but it would be the first time for 4 TEs plus a FB... so, again, I have to acknowledge you could be right on this. It's just that 51.3% of me, maybe even 51.4% of me, after arguing with myself about it, thinks it will shake out this way.
They may not have had 4 TEs & a FB right after the 53 cut down, but by October last year they added Sean McKeon to the 53.