Roster Math. Not "who" but how many at each position?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I "THINK" the 2 tight ends we keep will be ForeSure Fergie, then Schoonmaker. Making Luepke our FB that 3rd tightened when need be. So essentially a 2 for 1 with Luepke.

Verdict

Reaction score
Me either. Lance and Rush and we look to upgrade next offseason.
Lance may not be “good” but Rush’s very limited ceiling is no better. We don’t need to lose a legitimate player at another position over a marginal afterthought QB.

If the Cowboys want to give that spot to Lance. Rock on. If it’s Rush, so be it.

rambo2

Reaction score
Not what you would do, but how you think they're thinking about it

Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (26)
QB = 3
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 4
WR = 6
OL = 9

Defense (24)
DT = 5
DE/Edge = 5
LB = 5
CB = 5
S = 4
They usually cut the long snapper and bring him back.

rambo2

Reaction score

Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (26)
QB = 3
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 4
WR = 6
OL = 9

Defense (24)
DT = 5
DE/Edge = 5
LB = 5
CB = 5
S = 4
They can cut Rush and bring him back.

Sydla

Reaction score

Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (26)
QB = 3
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 4
WR = 6
OL = 9

Defense (24)
DT = 5
DE/Edge = 5
LB = 5
CB = 5
S = 4
Possibly but they may try to slide a WR or two to the practice squad so the initial roster may only have 5 WRs and say 10 OL. Also, they only started with 3 TEs on last year' initial 53. They may think the FB is a swing guy.

rambo2

Reaction score
Possibly but they may try to slide a WR or two to the practice squad so the initial roster may only have 5 WRs and say 10 OL. Also, they only started with 3 TEs on last year' initial 53. They may think the FB is a swing guy.
I think that they will have 6 receivers on the roster and at least 2 more on the practice squad. Brooks and Flournoy will be 5 and 6. Cropper would make practice squad.

_sturt_

Reaction score
no way no how they carry 4 tights. They will carry 2 and 1 FB. Luepke will act as the 3rd tighend on 3 TE sets.

My take was based on (a) just how many they were already going to be bringing to camp, and then they went and blew their biggest bonus in the UDFA market on... what position?... yeah, TE....

And... (b) the seeming interest implicit in different things McCarthy has said over the last month that plausibly lead to the conclusion that the TE body type is especially going to be useful with the new kickoff rules.

But I'll grant your theory holds water... I went back to look, and McC GB teams in-season routinely featured exactly what you suggested... 2 TEs and a FB.

Mind you, this would not be the first time that a McC team counted 4 TEs, but it would be the first time for 4 TEs plus a FB... so, again, I have to acknowledge you could be right on this. It's just that 51.3% of me, maybe even 51.4% of me, after arguing with myself about it, thinks it will shake out this way.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Special Teams (3)
K = 1
P = 1
LS = 1

Offense (22)
QB = 2
RB = 3
FB = 1
TE = 2
WR = 5
OL = 9

Defense (28)
DT = 3
DE/Edge = 3
LB = 4
CB = 15
S = 3
I luved your take on the roster til I saw the 15 at cb lmao. I think we will carry 6 receivers, 8 cbs and 4 rbs. I agree on the tightends and QB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My take was based on (a) just how many they were already going to be bringing to camp, and then they went and blew their biggest bonus in the UDFA market on... what position?... yeah, TE....

And... (b) the seeming interest implicit in different things McCarthy has said over the last month that plausibly lead to the conclusion that the TE body type is especially going to be useful with the new kickoff rules.

But I'll grant your theory holds water... I went back to look, and McC GB teams in-season routinely featured exactly what you suggested... 2 TEs and a FB.

Mind you, this would not be the first time that a McC team counted 4 TEs, but it would be the first time for 4 TEs plus a FB... so, again, I have to acknowledge you could be right on this. It's just that 51.3% of me, maybe even 51.4% of me, after arguing with myself about it, thinks it will shake out this way.
yours is a great theory too based on the pay. I agree. But I changed my mind after Bland went down. I think that changes what we do bigtime.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Agreed. If you do, you squeeze someone off the roster who may be way closer to helping this team than a third QB.
Don't you some sort of roster exception for the #3 QB though? I think the league enacted that after that game where Denver? had to start a wide receiver at QB because of Covid and injuries.. It was a REALLY bad look and I support the rule.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
you cant have an emergency QB if you don’t. Lance contract is guaranteed so he’s not getting cut but don’t think he’s ready to be the backup
If Jerry won't budge then they need to use Lance as a scat back and slot receiver so we can at least use his legs. He then becomes a portable 3rd QB in an emergency, but you gotta drop one of the bottom guys to do so.