Roster needs for next season

davidariust24

Reaction score
The offseason begins early here in Dallas. The team totally underachieved. It was said the 2019 cowboys were the FIRST team to have a 4000 yard QB two 1000 yard receivers and a 1000 yard rusher and not make the playoffs.
In my opinion we need either a dynamic tightend, DT or safety. We need a top free agent again next season. Hopefully Witten comes back for one more season to mentor a new TE for the future. What offseason needs do you say we need?

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-roster-needs-for-next-season

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Agreed with the above, except I’d add DE (if we don’t resign Quinn for an extra year), and QB. Maybe CB. Don’t forget punter and competition for the kicker.

If we resign Cobb, cool, but if not, who could we put out there? WR is deep this draft, so we may go that route. I like Cobb’s personality and mentality however.

Dak needs competition at QB.

Everything on defense needs an overhaul of a compliment. DE to compliment D-Law. LB’s if LVE can’t fully recover or if Jaylon continues to regress. Safeties obviously. Corners if Byron walks and we are left with Chido and Jourdan Lewis. DT’s definitely. Resign Jarwin, but get another TE.

We have a lot of changes to make....

Creeper

Reaction score
First, we have to understand why this offense just disappeared in some games. Offensive stats are great but in the first half of the Packers game, the first half of the Jets game, the Saints, Bears, Bills, and Eagles games, the offense looked like a last ranked offense. I know that they were facing better defenses but the best offense in the league should at least move the ball a little against these defenses. Its not like anyone of them are the 1985 Bears.

Was it scheme, or players? I think its scheme more than players and I also think the Cowboys will be better off with Jarwin and Schultz at TE. I love Jason Witten. He is won one of the greatest ever, but he is done and is limited in how he can help the offense. Schultz and Jarwin will give Dallas a downfield threat and better RAC. They need to learn to blocker better and so do the Cowboys WRs. If there is a need on offense its a slot receiver.

On the other hand, the defense was just awful. Can't get a 3 and out when they need it. No take-aways. Inconsistent pass rush. Worst 2 minute defense I have ever seen. I think the focus has to be on defense in 2020. Look at the NFC East, and every team in the division has at least one, if not two, formidable DTs starting - except the Cowboys. I don't care if Tyrone Crawford comes back in 2020, he is just another guy. Then, the Eagles and Commanders have a quality safety who makes plays. The Eagles have Jenkins and the Skins have Collins. The Giants have Bethea, who is still better than anyone the Cowboys have. The Cowboys may have the best CBs in the NFC East, but without the safety to make plays, the Cowboys did not get the most out of their CBs. The same could be said of the Cowboys LBs who were beat up because the DTs could not beat one-on-one blocks.

Team needs are easy, DT, Safety. These should be on the free agency shopping list. In the draft it should be best player available. The draft has some good DTs, safeties and WRs. The Cowboys should b e able to get two starters on defense.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't anticipate tons of change on offense. Defense will look much different especially depth-wise.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed with the above, except I’d add DE (if we don’t resign Quinn for an extra year), and QB. Maybe CB. Don’t forget punter and competition for the kicker.

If we resign Cobb, cool, but if not, who could we put out there? WR is deep this draft, so we may go that route. I like Cobb’s personality and mentality however.

Dak needs competition at QB.

Everything on defense needs an overhaul of a compliment. DE to compliment D-Law. LB’s if LVE can’t fully recover or if Jaylon continues to regress. Safeties obviously. Corners if Byron walks and we are left with Chido and Jourdan Lewis. DT’s definitely. Resign Jarwin, but get another TE.

We have a lot of changes to make....

OL possibly with Smith's health issues.

Verdict

Reaction score
The offseason begins early here in Dallas. The team totally underachieved. It was said the 2019 cowboys were the FIRST team to have a 4000 yard QB two 1000 yard receivers and a 1000 yard rusher and not make the playoffs.
In my opinion we need either a dynamic tightend, DT or safety. We need a top free agent again next season. Hopefully Witten comes back for one more season to mentor a new TE for the future. What offseason needs do you say we need?

You hope Witten comes back? You really don’t value winning, do you bro?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you re-sign Cooper, Byron and Collins, the needs are WR, DE and LB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

DT, Saftey, if we lose Jones which probably will CB.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Focus on improving STs, Middle of the defense, OL depth and see what you have in Jarwin. The TE position is a lethal weapon these days and the Cowboys need to get on board.

Gaede

Reaction score
Defensive line. Any position.

I think the way to win is to dominate with your DL and OL. Everything else is easier with the front lines taken care of.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you re-sign Cooper, Byron and Collins, the needs are WR, DE and LB.
I think you could keep Cobb a lot cheaper than Cooper, get a comp pick in the process and draft a rookie high and be ok at WR and save a hell of a lot of cap room.

Verdict

Reaction score
O line yes and LB yes and I’ll go QB for competition even though Dak will remain the starter. Entire defense needs revamped including coach

I think Hurts will fall like a rock in the draft. Pick him up in the 4th or 5th if he falls that far as a backup. Way better than rush.

I would draft a punter and a kicker very late. You can get the pick of the crop for a 6th or 7th rounder.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think you could keep Cobb a lot cheaper than Cooper, get a comp pick in the process and draft a rookie high and be ok at WR and save a hell of a lot of cap room.
He's cheaper b/c he's not....good. You save cap space, but all that means is more cap space and a worse team.

Being "OK" at WR is a losing mentality in today's NFL.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With the way Gallup has been playing, he could slide into the #1 slot if needed. Cobb would be great to bring back, and a new coach could utilize Devin Smith. Possibly can emerge as the #2 WR.
Draft a rookie to step in also as you mentioned.

I prefer to keep Cooper, but it does not have to be disastrous if he leaves via FA. And we would get a 3rd round comp pick too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT, FS, SS, CB, TE.

I don't want to see Witten back. He was a shell of himself the last year he played before he came back this year. This year, he was a shell of a shell of himself.
He was actually easily as good this year as 2 years ago. Stats are almost identical, and he played less this year.

The problem isn't Witten being on the team, it's how he is used, Even though he played quite a bit less this year than before (roughly 75-76% of snaps compared to roughly 98-99% in the past), it's still probably too much. If they use him as more of a role player (50% of snaps?) he will be fine.