Rotowire Blurb: Julius Jones - Adapting Well to New Offense

Chuck 54

Reaction score
smarta5150;1501113 said:
JJ is gonna be a weapon this year.

You will see more catches out of the backfield... hard not to since Parcells didn't believe in that sort of thing.

I'm not sure of that...we threw him the ball on swing passes a few times...he has pretty below average hands....I saw him drop quite a few. The scheme won't give him better hands.

Personally, I'm assuming MBIII has also been working out in the offseason, and I think he'll beat out JJ for the starter's job this year. I also think JJ will realize that Parcells was more loyal to him as the starter when MBIII could have had the job last season as well.

lspain1

Reaction score
wayne motley;1502386 said:
I'm not sure of that...we threw him the ball on swing passes a few times...he has pretty below average hands....I saw him drop quite a few. The scheme won't give him better hands.

Personally, I'm assuming MBIII has also been working out in the offseason, and I think he'll beat out JJ for the starter's job this year. I also think JJ will realize that Parcells was more loyal to him as the starter when MBIII could have had the job last season as well.

I agree Wayne, Julius did not display good hands on swing type passes. He seemed to do a bit better on dump offs when he was in the middle of the field. There also seemd to be a problem after he caught the ball in that he could not get reoriented quickly enough to make the first tackler miss. I think that "wiggle" is essential to make a swing type pass work. I'd like to be wrong on this. We'll see.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1502324 said:
I think the Bill bashing is overdone, but not entirely without merit... in particular, when Julius says that Parcells had him running "like a robot", I find it easy to believe... I remember the guy who broke a few defenders' ankles that rookie season, and that was NOT the guy I've seen since then...

I dont see how this is easy to believe, unless you also agree with the notion that Parcells controlled the Julius robot switch, and BP only turned it off for the highlight reel games.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1503165 said:
I dont see how this is easy to believe,

Ok, then, how do YOU explain the change in running style from his rookie season to his sophomore campaign??

I vividly recall Parcells being harshly critical of Julius, even as he was racking up impressive stats that rookie year... do you really find it so hard to believe that Julius might have taken those criticisms to heart, might have wanted to please his head coach, and that caused him to stop running on instinct??

If that's your belief, kindly offer an alternative explanation for the difference in his running style his second season... we all talk about how he's lacked vision, how he runs into the pile too much, and I remember the elusive back who made defenders look SILLY in the open field... you can't do that if you lack field vision...

No sir, I stand by my assertion, that Parcells basically ruined Julius... he had a positive effect on any number of other players, but he screwed up badly with Julius Jones...

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1503261 said:
Ok, then, how do YOU explain the change in running style from his rookie season to his sophomore campaign??

I vividly recall Parcells being harshly critical of Julius, even as he was racking up impressive stats that rookie year... do you really find it so hard to believe that Julius might have taken those criticisms to heart, might have wanted to please his head coach, and that caused him to stop running on instinct??

If that's your belief, kindly offer an alternative explanation for the difference in his running style his second season... we all talk about how he's lacked vision, how he runs into the pile too much, and I remember the elusive back who made defenders look SILLY in the open field... you can't do that if you lack field vision...

No sir, I stand by my assertion, that Parcells basically ruined Julius... he had a positive effect on any number of other players, but he screwed up badly with Julius Jones...

How can YOU explain the games in his rookie year he diddnt produce? I guess every bad game in 05 was Parcells fault except for that game he turned the switch off against the Panthers. You really cant be serious.

superpunk

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1502375 said:
Wrong.

(Ax+Bx*l2c+3dl-Pi)/New=Dope

Nicely done. You added Pi and a feeble attempt at an insult. Nice job, little buddy.

superpunk

Reaction score
silverbear;1503261 said:

The simplest explanation is often correct, Mr. Bear.

Julius beat up on BAD run defenses in his rookie year. Some of the worst run defenses who were playing their worst ball when Julius went up against them. Better defenses react to his juke-step more appropriately, and so he's less effective. He's never had particularly great vision or instincts. It just looked that way against dreadful run defenses.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Did pretty good against the Ravens though, didnt he. Low average, but very few losses in a one sided game. And of course on should mention that we did not exactly have a top O line. ANd have not had one while he has been here.

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1503370 said:
Did pretty good against the Ravens though, didnt he. Low average, but very few losses in a one sided game. And of course on should mention that we did not exactly have a top O line. ANd have not had one while he has been here.

I'm sorry, but you have to be from a parallel universe to believe that 2.7 ypc is doing "pretty good". Also, in that game, 7 out of his 30 carries were for negative yardage or no gain. Add in all the 1 and 2 yard gains....Also, considering Baltimore was allowing 3.6 ypc that season, Julius did far less than what could be considered average against them. It's not an impressive outing, save for the fact that he got 30 carries.

burmafrd

Reaction score
What part of the not so good O line did you not understand?

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1503424 said:
What part of the not so good O line did you not understand?

Plenty of RBs enjoy a measure of success without a good Oline. Regardless, your statements about Julius' performance against Baltimore being "pretty good" is completely false. It was entirely below average, good offensive line or not.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I guess you need to look at what the Ravens did that year- and find just what RBs did better then Julius.

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1503479 said:
I guess you need to look at what the Ravens did that year- and find just what RBs did better then Julius.

Did you not read the part where the Ravens surrendered on average 3.6 ypc and Julius got 2.7 against them? (ie. below average)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Clinton Portis, Edgerin James, Tiki Barber and Duce Staley all did either only as well as JJ did (all got fewer yards) or did less. Curtis Martin was the only back that really rang the Ravens D that year.

superpunk

Reaction score
burmafrd;1503493 said:
Clinton Portis, Edgerin James, Tiki Barber and Duce Staley all did either only as well as JJ did (all got fewer yards) or did less. Curtis Martin was the only back that really rang the Ravens D that year.

Yards are not the same thing as yards per carry. This ain't rocket surgery.

burmafrd

Reaction score
no, its not. and to pin everything on YPC is to be too simplistic. BUT then again that is your only evidence so maybe that is not suprising.