Drafted by Cowboys Round 2 Pick 56 Dallas Cowboys draft DE Marshawn Kneeland Western Michigan

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The outside run defense to me was far more Quinn's fault than the players. Imho, of course....
Is that why they routinely lost contain, themselves pinned inside?

I like how you have gone from it not being a problem to it being a problem but Quinn's fault. Sophistry that always leads to failure. How droll.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Is that why they routinely lost contain, themselves pinned inside?

I like how you have gone from it not being a problem to it being a problem but Quinn's fault.
You don't understand. Let me simplify it for you:
Run defense is a problem. (Duh!)
Most of the problem is weak middle DT play, caused by lack of drafting a solid run defender that is allowed to keep his weight up. (Too early to give up on Mazi). Which I've been saying for the past 3 years at least.
DEs, at least last year, were more than adequate. And as you noted, they got pinned inside, Quinn had them cutting down into the backfield, leaving the flat wide open. Your DEs can't defend the outside run from the backfield unless they can get there before the RB can get out, which is difficult to do.

It's obvious you just want to argue and fight, I'm not here for a fight.

If you don't like my opinion that's fine, I don't like yours, either. All part of being a fan.

Which I have been since 1968.

Go find somebody else to agree with you, I'm not going to....

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion. Have a good evening...
Your welcome and I am not trying to get you to agree with me.

The DE did stunt inside schematically a lot and the LB who were supposed to fill for contain Clark in particular were slow.

That definitely as an issue.

However, Fowler, Parsons, and even DLaw who started off at 5 and out still regularly got pinned inside.

I am curious though how the DE get a pass for the difficulty in the read when stopping the run on the QB but the DT do not get a pass.

Einstein

Reaction score
Had a whopping 4.5 sacks at Western Michigan last year. Hmmmm….this looks like a “project”. SMH. Having A developmental project on team with these needs…don’t get it.
But Chop Robinson didn't put up many sacks either, and he is considered a freak athlete and was a 1st round pick.

Praxit

Reaction score
..do we know, if he wants to hurt people? I mean, all the greats say it. .. .;)..

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I've seen no one who doesn't like the pick give any reason why outside of there was someone there they wanted more. Lawrence is near the end of his career and we have no one else. Zimmer will hopefully have Parsons playing LB more.
The Eagles did same thing with Jalyx Hunt on Day2. Raw....but elite tools.

You can get ham-and-egger guys who are polished but have limited ceiling on Day3, or even UDFA.

You have to go after guys that have traits that at least give them the possibility to be elite on day 1 or 2.

Yes....they're boom or bust, but it's just the nature of the draft

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
6. MARSHAWN KNEELAND, Western Michigan (6-3, 264, 4.77, 2): Redshirted in 2019 before starting 23 of 37 games from 2020-’23. “He’s not a great athlete by any means but he’s got outstanding motor,” one scout said. “He’s a better athlete than the Missouri kid (Darius Robinson) but he’s not nearly as powerful or big. The relentlessness he plays with will allow him to succeed. For 4-3 teams he definitely has the size to play with his hand on the ground. For 3-4 teams they probably can live with his athleticism. The Senior Bowl stuff was good enough. His tape wasn’t as good as Maxx Crosby’s coming out but after watching him against similar schools (in the Mid-American Conference) it had a little bit of that feel even though they have a different style of play. Mostly because of the motor and the constant disruption.” His 4.18 short shuttle led the position. “He could be an (NFL) starter,” said a second scout. “Love his bull rush. He played well against Iowa, Syracuse, Mississippi State. He took over the game against Eastern Michigan, for whatever that’s worth. Just blows **** up.” Lightly recruited out of west Michigan, he finished with 149 tackles (28 for loss) and 13 sacks. Arms were 34 ½, hands were 9 1/8. “His run game stuff stuck out,” said a third scout. “Strong edge-setter. Plays with his hair on fire. Chases the football. Very good physicality. He's a good enough rusher where he can give you something on third down. You don’t want to draft base (defense) guys. This guy’s going to be a hell of a run player knocking people back.” From Grand Rapids.
Kneeland led in run defense PFF 99.1. Setting the edge in the Greenbay game was exposed as at times in season on D. Dallas didn’t have the man-power. Surprised by the pick but it makes sense.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The outside run defense to me was far more Quinn's fault than the players. Imho, of course....
I tend to agree that the scheme for the defense was that if an OT collapsed in, the DE over him was to follow the guy in. Virtually every DE did it so I have to assume that it was taught.

Teams seemed to have figured out the scheme and would pin the DE down once he followed his OT in, leaving the edge open.

So much of what happened last year was scheme based. Remember all of those opposing DE's getting Pollard in the backfield? Well, the play was to leave them totally uncovered. It wasn't a missed assignment. It was coaching. The players get a lot of grief on this site but IMO, last year was a pretty crappy coaching job in all of those big losses. The base concepts on both offense and defense worked and with the talent here, that was usually enough to beat bad teams but as soon as an opposing coach put in some wrinkles, Dallas was lost.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Thought so after the first pick, this just confirms it.
Dallas is conducting a totally needs-based draft.
Lost Tyron Smith, draft his replacement.
Lost Dorrance Armstrong, draft his replacement.

Only question is what order Dallas will draft the replacements. Draft to replace C, RB, DT? Or DT, C, RB? Or C, DT, RB?

We'll know soon enough...
I’m not saying they weren’t drafting for needs but this comment doesn’t make any sense. So They lost a rotation guy in free agency and replaced him in the second round? Come on. They obviously liked the kid as more than an Armstrong replacement and are hoping he turns out better than that. And if they were only drafting need why didn’t they take a RB in that spot?

I for one like this pick. we all complain (rightly so) how we can’t stop the run in big spots and that we are too soft in the playoffs so we should be happy when the team does something to try and fix that

Jarntt

Reaction score
They wanted him to add weight and move to 3tech. 4th round rookie that is switching positions didn't play much......
And he was hurt for a while. If a guy doesn’t come in and light the world on fire year one people will write him off as never going to play. Hopefully this team stops trying to move these light guys inside now that MarinellI and Quinn are gone and put him and Golston at DE where they were known as good run stoppers. Do what you want in the nickel but these guys just aren’t big enough to play DT on early downs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Eagles did same thing with Jalyx Hunt on Day2. Raw....but elite tools.

You can get ham-and-egger guys who are polished but have limited ceiling on Day3, or even UDFA.

You have to go after guys that have traits that at least give them the possibility to be elite on day 1 or 2.

Yes....they're boom or bust, but it's just the nature of the draft
You sure know a lot about the Eagles.......

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
That's a very broad question. What about it?

But first, since we all know TheGreatCowboysBamaLaker fan is above being quizzed, why are you curious about the Jags draft? They ur #2?

If so, I'll happily educate u on their draft, once you get more specific