Drafted by Cowboys Round 7 Pick 218 RB Mike Weber Ohio State

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Predraft, Lindy’s has Weber rated higher than Miles Sanders, who the Eagles took in the 2nd? 3rd? But guess which team will get criticized by “experts”?

I watched both of them alot in the Big Ten and they are really different runners. Sanders is similar to his former teammate Barkley of the Giants in terms of style. Slasher, great feet and tough kid overall. Weber generally takes more direct hits but is thicker and more physical. One cut kinda kid who gets upfield well and can read blocks really well. Nice value here for sure. If we took him in the 4th most wouldn't have blinked an eye. For everyone pissed about the Memphis kid being taken too high in the 4th, just imagine we flip flopped them: Weber in the 4th and Pollard in the 6th. Most guys on here would've been content with that I think: maybe even happy. WTH difference does it make which order they got taken in?

Our late picks were intriguing and our UFA signings seem really good. So...hope springs eternal again.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Hopefully he will be a solid back up and offer some relief in easing the load for Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’ll take Lindy’s predraft analysis over the consistently negative whining of internet gurus any day of the week, but thanks!

Oh yeah, I’ll take the judgement of the Cowboys FO as well!

Yah and the Cowboys passed on the kid all day long till the end of the draft. If they thought he was so good, they take him earlier.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I watched both of them alot in the Big Ten and they are really different runners. Sanders is similar to his former teammate Barkley of the Giants in terms of style. Slasher, great feet and tough kid overall. Weber generally takes more direct hits but is thicker and more physical. One cut kinda kid who gets upfield well and can read blocks really well. Nice value here for sure. If we took him in the 4th most wouldn't have blinked an eye. For everyone pissed about the Memphis kid being taken too high in the 4th, just imagine we flip flopped them: Weber in the 4th and Pollard in the 6th. Most guys on here would've been content with that I think: maybe even happy. WTH difference does it make which order they got taken in?

Our late picks were intriguing and our UFA signings seem really good. So...hope springs eternal again.

Because it shows how backwards they are at drafting.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are too many late round picks that have excelled to argue with someone over their opinion. Many bust in early rounds as well.
Instead of looking at what round they were picked; learn something about the athlete. That will give you a better assessment, than what someone else has stated.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol - this comment amounts to nothing more than just sayin “nu uh”. You are giving your opinion just like I’m giving mine, but the difference is mine is backed by the irrefutable fact that 7th round draft picks rarely become impact players, while you are ridiculously acting as if because an occasional 7th rounder does make an impact that teams plan as if they are likely to be impact players. NFL teams know the history and facts, and you are arguing against history and facts.

After a draft, how many times have you heard a team claim that they found their franchise QB, or bell cow RB, or even a top level back up that can be counted on to solidify the depth and that may develop into a starter? Every team every year, right? Now, how many have they said that while referring to a 7th round pick?
Weber is really good though, especially for how we plan to use him. Spelling Zeke from time to time is a perfect role for his skillset. I think he's a steal and we keep both Weber and Pollard.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think he is an upgrade over Rod Smith and a much better pick than Scarborough last year. Don’t see him being anything more than a backup in the nfl but if he can play special teams, he has a decent chance to ,ale the team.

He was productive at Ohio state and his stats would have been better if their stud Dobbins was not there.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For a team priding itself in featuring their running game, it seems we've taken a bold stroke in making it even more effective!

Ezekiel Elliott should be expressing his gratitude, if he hasn't already. It should preserve his career indefinitely. I am loving it. :)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol - this comment amounts to nothing more than just sayin “nu uh”. You are giving your opinion just like I’m giving mine, but the difference is mine is backed by the irrefutable fact that 7th round draft picks rarely become impact players, while you are ridiculously acting as if because an occasional 7th rounder does make an impact that teams plan as if they are likely to be impact players. NFL teams know the history and facts, and you are arguing against history and facts.

After a draft, how many times have you heard a team claim that they found their franchise QB, or bell cow RB, or even a top level back up that can be counted on to solidify the depth and that may develop into a starter? Every team every year, right? Now, how many have they said that while referring to a 7th round pick?
here that in the first round and MANY BUSDTS come out of early rounds which is far more costly and devastating to teams then missing out on 4-7 round guys..when you are drafting low in every round it means you have pretty complete team that succeeded the year before and getting this type of players to be RB2 , LB 3, DE3, DT 1 rotational etc etc those so called stats go down as they may not be PB players but they for sure can play pivotal roles as teams arent made up of all PBs and that what Rounds 4-7 are for, you can occasionally hit big them and UDFAs but you drafted best player AV for NEED mostly backup role guys who may surprise you..whats the worst that can happen they dont pan out and you wasted nothing.. the same amount of players are picked every year what 213? 7 rounds regardless of what team took them or where they went the 213 players get picked..

no Nauh here you can believe you backed your facts but using starter PB front lime HOF type hits in 7th is completely picking stats to fit your narrative where mine were simply Weber could be great Pickup as is Pollard both were needs both have a skillset we were lacking and the risk was minimal given our starting 22 were all but set and the next 30 is there we are trying to fit these guys in and sometimes one or two of them are total diamonds in the rough..

so you have your opinion among with about 10 CZ regulars here who do nothing but complain and rip their own teams never say anything positive, always the sky is falling and use that ridiculous old well its been 23-30yrs since we won anything substantial so you dont trust the FO..well the last 5 years say that has changed and I will give them the benefit of the doubt given recent draft success..sure all teams have few busts and wish they ahd a redo but thats not how it goes..hat happens in rounds 1-4 more than 4-7 ..

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Couldn't find a highlight film on this guy so...

Don't see much power but seems to have great vision and speed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Couldn't find a highlight film on this guy so...

Don't see much power but seems to have great vision and speed.

Weber seems to do well evading and getting yards in a crowd. We'll see what he does vs. pro defenses but I like what I've seen.

cowboyec

Reaction score
LOVE this pick....one of my favorite college players to watch.
there were 3 guys from that team I loved watching play...DT DreMont Jones,WR Parris Campbell and Mr.Weber.
tough.
reliable.
physical.
good player.
so glad we got'm.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Weber seems to do well evading and getting yards in a crowd. We'll see what he does vs. pro defenses but I like what I've seen.

Agreed, he doesn't show any power running ability but with that vision, speed and evasiveness he could be effective.

stinkface

Reaction score
I don't see a ton of power, but he was playing a big boy conference for sure. He does seem to have an all around game. Said he is a great pass protector. That's rare these days.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see a ton of power, but he was playing a big boy conference for sure. He does seem to have an all around game. Said he is a great pass protector. That's rare these days.

For a rookie who's transitioning from college to the pros, it's a valuable trait.
That should prove a blessing for Dak and Ezekiel, without question.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.