Drafted by Cowboys Round 7 Pick 241 DE Jalen Jelks Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

morasp

Reaction score
Possible starter grade. They like guys that are active and disruptive. He and Joe Jackson were great picks that I didn't think would last as long as they did.

Overview
Long-limbed edge worker who might be best suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker unless he can add much needed strength and mass. As a junior interior defender, Jelks was often physically outmatched, but he showed the tenacity and talent to still be productive and disruptive. Some teams will struggle with where he fits from a position standpoint, but he could challenge for reps early in his career as a designated pass rusher along the interior in sub-packages.

Strengths
  • Extremely active and surprisingly physical at point of attack despite lack of mass
  • Time spent as interior linemen helped him develop toughness and skill with hand-to-hand combat
  • Toolsy as a pass rusher with a variety of approaches waiting to be developed
  • Possesses lateral twitch and quickness to challenge from edge to edge
  • Optimal ankle flexion for tight cornering around the rush arc
  • Flashes potential to use his length as weapon of victory in pursuit of quarterback
  • Bends and strikes with quick one- or two-armed attack into blocker's frame to create a leveraged bull-rush option
  • Hits unsuspecting tackles with outside/in speed-to-power challenge
  • Can get skinny to flip around the edge as reduced rusher and shows some violence in initial hand work
  • Very rangy in his pursuit with ability to capture targets outside the pocket
  • Fluid and athletic to make plays on the move

Last edited:

Boys122

Reaction score
Possible starter grade. They like guys that are active and disruptive.

Overview
Long-limbed edge worker who might be best suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker unless he can add much needed strength and mass. As a junior interior defender, Jelks was often physically outmatched, but he showed the tenacity and talent to still be productive and disruptive. Some teams will struggle with where he fits from a position standpoint, but he could challenge for reps early in his career as a designated pass rusher along the interior in sub-packages.

Strengths
  • Extremely active and surprisingly physical at point of attack despite lack of mass
  • Time spent as interior linemen helped him develop toughness and skill with hand-to-hand combat
  • Toolsy as a pass rusher with a variety of approaches waiting to be developed
  • Possesses lateral twitch and quickness to challenge from edge to edge
  • Optimal ankle flexion for tight cornering around the rush arc
  • Flashes potential to use his length as weapon of victory in pursuit of quarterback
  • Bends and strikes with quick one- or two-armed attack into blocker's frame to create a leveraged bull-rush option
  • Hits unsuspecting tackles with outside/in speed-to-power challenge
  • Can get skinny to flip around the edge as reduced rusher and shows some violence in initial hand work
  • Very rangy in his pursuit with ability to capture targets outside the pocket
  • Fluid and athletic to make plays on the move
I’ll be honest didn’t do my homework on this kid

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He'll get stashed somehow for a year to put on weight and get stronger.

It is possible he sticks as a down roster guy. Jackson gives us more immediately, but Jelks has the ability to develop into a legit rusher

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Very good value picks this third day.
I like the Jackson's, and the last two picks. The Pollard pick kinda hurts me. I would have selected isaiah Johnson thinking Pollard had a better chance to fall...
The Texas A&M safety is very meh, I really want this team to start valuing the safety spot more than they do.
But yeah I think day 3 kinda salvaged the draft a little for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the Jackson's, and the last two picks. The Pollard pick kinda hurts me. I would have selected isaiah Johnson thinking Pollard had a better chance to fall...
The Texas A&M safety is very meh, I really want this team to start valuing the safety spot more than they do.
But yeah I think day 3 kinda salvaged the draft a little for me.

I honestly think they got cute with the Pollard pick and it cost them Isaiah Johnson.

Carson

Reaction score
Like our 7th founders more than our 4th 5th and 6th.

Good pickup

RamziD

Reaction score
Meh.

Unless he can add on 20-25lbs and move to 3T ala David Irving. We have a big glut at DL, will be interesting to see who makes it. Hyder’s contract isn’t guaranteed unless he makes the team, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.