Rounds 1.2, 3 and UDFA

1942willys

Reaction score
Honestly after the fifth rd anything is chancy. We have had good luck over the years with the 4th rd; so I would not have any trouble at all using our comp picks to move up into the fourth.

People harp on the number of picks but its the round of the picks that matter not the quantity.

All the harping this year was a joke; we knew we were getting comp picks and they were what we figured.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They don't sign Unrestricted Free Agents and the GM isn't accountable for blown draft picks. It's not necessarily that they are "better at UDFA" and is more about the way they build this roster offers a lot more opportunity for UDFAs to play.

TheDank

Reaction score
I’ve always been of the opinion that if possible I would move rounds 4 through 6 to move up in 1/2/3. 7th rounders are nice to scoop up anybody left that falls through you would want because grades once you get past the third or so differ wildly and you have a good chance to pick up your 5th or 6th round pick in the 7th or as an UDFA if they choose you.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
That’s where we find the real gems.

Ben Gardner?
Devin Street?
BW Webb?

You remember all those names. May I even remind you of legendary safety Matt Johnson?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I have always felt 6th and 7th round picks are significantly less likely to make the team. I mean, obviously they are players selected much lower in the draft, but there's an expectation for 5th round and higher picks and a stigma for 5th round picks (or higher) who don't make the roster their first year. GM's are more likely to keep them because cutting them would mean that GM blew the pick.

That's not me saying they can't make the roster and become good players, I just think the Cowboys have seriously overvalued these late Comp picks like some sort of trophy. Even the 5th round compensatory pick this year is essentially an early 6th.

Based on the trade chart, the average value for each round is:
1 - 1158
2 - 416
3 - 188
4 - 65
5 - 31
6 - 15
7 - 1