Roy to Linebacker

Native Born Fan

Reaction score
I live in Dallas and go to most home games. I know a few Cowboys and have had dinner with coaching staff, players, etc. I have been told by a friend who heard from Wade Phillips that Roy will be moved to linebacker. It could be b.s. or an idea they are toying with but i read the zone everyday and wanted to get the opinion of "the board". Thoughts?

Spectre

Reaction score
Seems the idea has been tossed around by fans and team staff many times. I remember Parcells discussing it in a presser once. But much like the other times it has been mentioned, I just don't see it happening.

I don't think it would work. He's an athlete but not a natural 3-4 LBer at all.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So who plays safety? Davis? Please. I love his attitude and desire but hes not a better option.

And with Hamlin up in the air still this seems like a very unlikely move. And where would he even play? Have to be Akin's spot but even then, how much does that say of the guys who play right behind Ayodele.

Im callin BS.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Native Born Fan;1928491 said:
I live in Dallas and go to most home games. I know a few Cowboys and have had dinner with coaching staff, players, etc. I have been told by a friend who heard from Wade Phillips that Roy will be moved to linebacker. It could be b.s. or an idea they are toying with but i read the zone everyday and wanted to get the opinion of "the board". Thoughts?

No offense to the poster, but Roy to LB is ****** dumb.

First, Roy does not have the size to play LB. He would get killed on running plays.

Second, he would have to play ILB because Ware, Ellis, and Spencer are not going anywhere.

Third, you dont pay an ILB the type of coin we are paying Roy.

What you do with Roy is tell him to put the fork down and get his butt on a treadmill for the next 4 months and get his arse back in shape. Maybe if he was 30 pounds lighter he could stay with a freaking TE:mad:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Roy gets stalemated by 185 lbs. runningbacks on blitz pickups. He'll be a human speed bump when he's asked to take on and shed offensive linemen.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1928527 said:
Roy gets stalemated by 185 lbs. runningbacks on blitz pickups. He'll be a human speed bump when he's asked to take on and shed offensive linemen.

roy gets slammed by shortsighted fans who just need a punching bag.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
iceberg;1928529 said:
roy gets slammed by shortsighted fans who just need a punching bag.

Yes, he does.

But he also gets slammed by knowledgeable fans who have no problem with his shortcomings in coverage but DO think that he a) takes CRAP angles, b) seems not so in shape and c) is a baby about every critique of his play.

Get beat in coverage all you want Roy, but when you have to horse tackle because you are in the wrong place or you take another defender out of the play, you should and will get slammed on this board.

Roy used to have 1000s of people defending him. Every year more and more folks drop off. Wonder why?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Roy could definitely be a great linebacker...

in 1978 maybe.

He can't play LB in any defense, let alone a 3-4 defense.

Enough with trying to find a way to get him back on track.

Let some other team figure out how to make him a good player once again.

I know, I know. The contract, the contract.

:bang2:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score

Despite what the "experts" on the board claim, Roy can and should be moved to LB, where he should have been all along, just not here. The problem now is that he doesn't fit the 3-4 mold and his contract screws us if we try to move him.

I agree that he needs to get his keaster in shape and work harder in the offseason on his tackling technique. That really is our only option with him at this point.

Lots of "undersized" guys have succeeded very well at MLB. Zach Thomas is listed as 5'11" 228 which is smaller than Roy. Needless to say Thomas has been quite successful in this league for a very long time (12 years). Sam Mills was still playing 10 years ago so he is not a dinosaur and he played in the 3-4 for much of his career.

The point is, Roy's size has very little to do with the possibility of moving to LB, it is his contract that is in the way now.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
THUMPER;1928556 said:
Despite what the "experts" on the board claim, Roy can and should be moved to LB, where he should have been all along, just not here. The problem now is that he doesn't fit the 3-4 mold and his contract screws us if we try to move him.

I agree that he needs to get his keaster in shape and work harder in the offseason on his tackling technique. That really is our only option with him at this point.

Lots of "undersized" guys have succeeded very well at MLB. Zach Thomas is listed as 5'11" 228 which is smaller than Roy. Needless to say Thomas has been quite successful in this league for a very long time (12 years). Sam Mills was still playing 10 years ago so he is not a dinosaur and he played in the 3-4 for much of his career.

The point is, Roy's size has very little to do with the possibility of moving to LB, it is his contract that is in the way now.

Zach has more heart and try in his little toe then roy has show in the las t few years

popcorn

Reaction score
you simply just don't put RW on the field on third down, unless it is less than 4yrds to go, or any obivious passing situation. The question is, can you afford to do that with what you're paying him?

Eddie

Reaction score
popcorn;1928573 said:
you simply just don't put RW on the field on third down, unless it is less than 4yrds to go, or any obivious passing situation. The question is, can you afford to do that with what you're paying him?

I think this has already happened. He's out on long distance situations.

Contract or now, he hasn't been an impact player and has been the direct result of many game turning plays.

Get a cover Saftey in FA or the draft. RW plays the first two downs and is taken out on obvious passing downs.

DeepBleu

Reaction score

so you would forward the opinions of this board to the cowboys coaching staff?

newlander

Reaction score
Personally, I think the new secondary coach needs to put him on notice. If he doesnt come into camp in the best shape of his life with a serious chip on his shoulder, he might not make the squad. It's really come to that, f'in contract or no f'in contract. He's a classic case of getting paid and disappearing.:bang2:

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
popcorn;1928573 said:

It does not matter what down it is.OCs have been going at him on 1st and 2nd downs.
As for the switch to LB...outside?
Is he gonna beat Ware or Spencer for their spot?
I strongly doubt it.
Inside in a 3-4?...where he has to take on guards?
Not a chance.
We are stuck with him...special teams is where he'll end up before being cut if he doesn't get his act together.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Wasn't Donnie Edwards around 6-2 and 225-230 when he played ILB for Wade in SD in a 3-4 defense?

I'm not a football expert so i will ask those who think Roy is too small to play LB in a 3-4. If wade can utilize Edwards in his defense why can't he do the same with Roy? Just curious.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ethiostar;1928640 said:
Wasn't Donnie Edwards around 6-2 and 225-230 when he played ILB for Wade in SD in a 3-4 defense?

I'm not a football expert so i will ask those who think Roy is too small to play LB in a 3-4. If wade can utilize Edwards in his defense why can't he do the same with Roy? Just curious.
Edwards is bigger than Roy, there just is no comparison.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Look I'm not a Roy hater. I've always loved him, going back to OU days (And I really hate OU but I was a big fan of him). I used to defend his short comings in pass coverage, endlessly, cause I was willing to put up with them for his solid run support and his outstanding hitting ability.

The last two years he's not been the same hitter, at all (even seen him try for the knock out hit a few times this year only to watch the guy bounce off Roy and keep going) and he's not nearly as stellar against the run as he used to be. Now he doesn't just take bad angles against recievers, he's taking them against backs and QBs, he cant get there on the blitz like he used to (People seem angry about the backs stoning him on blitz but it's true. The backs crush him on the blitz and he never gets close now).

Moving Roy to LB simply is not going to work. He's not strong enough, at his size (Specially since he REALLY needs to lose weight from where he is right now just to be in shape and run) which would be, what, if he lost the weight he needs to...220-230 pounds? You really want a 230 ILB who takes bad angles and gets crushed by runningbacks on the blitz, trying to shed 300 pound lineman or 250+ blocking Tight ends?

Sorry I love Roy as much as the next really dedicated Roy defender but he's not a linebacker in the NFL.