Roy to Linebacker

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1928527 said:
Roy gets stalemated by 185 lbs. runningbacks on blitz pickups. He'll be a human speed bump when he's asked to take on and shed offensive linemen.

Pretty much spot on. I imagine he'll continue to play some LB on nickel and dime situations.

Unless he suddenly improves (which in unlikely considering the steady decline), I imagine they'll implement more and more packages that remove him from the field in passing situations.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
he is maybe a 1st down SS

and a nickel LB

He really has no starting role forward. But more situationally used in the box.

khiladi

Reaction score
After he himself admitted he avoids the big hit because he wants to prolong his career and prevent injury?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1928506 said:
No offense to the poster, but Roy to LB is ****** dumb.

First, Roy does not have the size to play LB. He would get killed on running plays.

Second, he would have to play ILB because Ware, Ellis, and Spencer are not going anywhere.

Third, you dont pay an ILB the type of coin we are paying Roy.

What you do with Roy is tell him to put the fork down and get his butt on a treadmill for the next 4 months and get his arse back in shape. Maybe if he was 30 pounds lighter he could stay with a freaking TE:mad:

There are a ton of linebackers in the NFL smaller than Roy Williams.
That argument is silly. The top 5 current weakside LB prospects entering the NFL ALL weight less than 235 pounds.

And RW played basically linebacker at OU. That is why he was so inexperienced in coverage.

He is changing numbers and should probably move to LB.
It was inevitable imho.

He was going to lose speed as he aged but was also gonna be able to keep more natural weight on.

2 guys compared to RW have been moved to LB. Thomas Davis and Demeko Ryans.

satam55

Reaction score
Roy has the size to play LB in a Tampa 2 defense. But Roy can't tackle worth a damn, so it won't even matter.

2much2soon

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1928670 said:
Edwards is bigger than Roy, there just is no comparison.

So you are saying all the official NFL player height/weight listings are wrong?

That they overrate RW's size and underrate everyone else?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, the argument RW is not physical enough is just plain silly.
He would be a lot more physical if his off-season was spent gaining weight and strength and not trying to slim down to maximize his suspect speed.

In using what RW could do and maximize him going forward he needs to get to 240 pounds again and play linebacker.

He can then stick to diagnosing running plays and even RW is fast enough to outrun guards.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
satam55;1928764 said:
Roy has the size to play LB in a Tampa 2 defense. But Roy can't tackle worth a damn, so it won't even matter.

RW was the most feared safety as a hitter in the NFL just a short 2 seasons ago. He can hit and tackle. He needs to gain weight and play football not try to lose weight then run with WRs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care what position Roy plays as long as he is making plays.

If his play continues to decline this discussion will not be relevent as he will be spending more and more time on the bench.

khiladi

Reaction score
jterrell;1928782 said:
RW was the most feared safety as a hitter in the NFL just a short 2 seasons ago. He can hit and tackle. He needs to gain weight and play football not try to lose weight then run with WRs.

Bradie James lost 10 pounds in the off-season, and he was flying around way more this year making big hits. Hitting hard is a talent that came naturally to Roy. It isn't necessarily the result of big muscles and more weight.

The quickness will help his pursuit and positioning...

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
khiladi;1928792 said:
Bradie James lost 10 pounds in the off-season, and he was flying around way more this year making big hits. Hitting hard is a talent that came naturally to Roy. It isn't necessarily the result of big muscles and more weight.

The quickness will help his pursuit and positioning...

There's more to this than weight or physical conditioning.

Is it the 3-4?

How can a star who plays like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qPDFXVa-iI

become the player who never makes plays?

I could care less if RW gives up 5 or 6 TDs a year as long as he's making plays.

I want the old Roy W back.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
dcfanatic;1928552 said:
Roy could definitely be a great linebacker...

in 1978 maybe.

He can't play LB in any defense, let alone a 3-4 defense.

Enough with trying to find a way to get him back on track.

Let some other team figure out how to make him a good player once again.

I know, I know. The contract, the contract.

:bang2:

many 4-3 linebackers are the same size as him.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
The point of football is to WIN...not to salvage the value of a contract.

If he can't step up his play and is costing us games, we need to sit his *** down. Hang the contract. What's it matter? Whether he sits or plays, we're paying him. Better that he get the money and NOT cost us games then play him because he has a fat contract.

It's no more complicated than that.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) Is his shoulder 100% again?
2) Anybody got a copy of his contract?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i think the ts left out the part about this happening but not on this team.:D :pray:

STSINAZ

Reaction score
maybe roy just becomes a situational player...only plays on the nickel at linebacker and only on short yardage at SS...maybe hamlin is next years starting SS...maybe they build in some type of D that Roy can play linebacker in...maybe the 3-3-5....he is one of the 3 in that alignment....there are ways to get around him playing SS and still have him on the field 60% of the time..he may not like but he doesnt have a choice...he is now a tweener....his first few years he could cover good enough to have him on the field or woodson was so good he picked up his shortcomings but now he isnt...he is a tweener

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i dont care what anyone says his shoulder is messed up from all those hits thats why he said you wont see them anymore... iheard that myself in an interview...also heard that his shoulder is messed up and cant be fixed...i think he probably found that out...and this all he can do and still be able to play...we probably wont see the roy we saw from this video...he is gone...you pay a price when you hit like this...it really stinks because now is when we need him...not when we were 5-11....