Roy Williams still overrated?

aquavita

Reaction score
I think that's a bunch of crap. He is all over the field, and when he's out there, you can tell it affects the opposing offense. He's already had a few picks this year and making hard hits as ever. I wonder where all the haters are now? He seems to even have improved his pass coverage.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
aquavita said:
I think that's a bunch of crap. He is all over the field, and when he's out there, you can tell it affects the opposing offense. He's already had a few picks this year and making hard hits as ever. I wonder where all the haters are now? He seems to even have improved his pass coverage.

WR for the Lion--absolutely......not getting close to 40 points :eek:

SS for the COWBOYS--he77 NO! :star:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All those people saying he is an overrated football player didn't know what the heck they were talking about anyways.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Count me as one who thought RW had some weaknesses. This year he looks like a different player.

Glad to see the improvement:)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
GoCowboysGo said:
Count me as one who thought RW had some weaknesses. This year he looks like a different player.

Glad to see the improvement:)

The difference, to me, is that he's not being asked to play FS all the time. Anybody who watched Roy at OU new his strengths and weaknesses. They haven't changed all that much IMO. I do think he's much better in coverage but it's still the weakest part of his game IMO. He's playing well but he will still get beat from time to time. Just part of the deal. If you want all the rest of his game, you gotta except the fact that he will occasionally also get beat.

JMO.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
He's always gonna be a target because he's a Cowboy and a top ten pick.

What the media and many fans don't understand is that this is an offensive league. Almost all rule changes the last 30 years have favored offense.

Good DB are beaten from time to time and in todays game even more so.
However, if Roy gives up one TD, he sucks and can't cover.

silver

Reaction score
Roy is playing like he did when he had Woodson alongside. Watkins range has allowed Roy to do what he does best, stay close to the line. Couldn't do that with Dixon and Scott at FS.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Roy has definitely improved his coverage skills. He looks so much more fluid and instinctive. I think it also helps that he trusts his teammates in the secondary to do their jobs and that he has a front seven in front of him that don't need him to apply pressure.

Once this defense stops making dumb PF penalties it will be a truly impressive unit.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
silver said:
Roy is playing like he did when he had Woodson alongside.

Woodson's effect on Roy's pass defense has always been exaggerated. In his 26 games with Woodson, Roy had three interceptions (0.12 per game). In 40 games without Woodson, he has 11 (0.28 per game), with three of those for touchdowns.

pancakeman

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Woodson's effect on Roy's pass defense has always been exaggerated. In his 26 games with Woodson, Roy had three interceptions (0.12 per game). In 40 games without Woodson, he has 11 (0.28 per game), with three of those for touchdowns.
:fact:

ghost

Reaction score
Commanders fan or not, I've personally liked Roy Williams. I thought that that he was over rated in his coverage, but he hasn't gotten burned yet- so as of now he's fine. Though, traditionally, Coverage hasn't been one of his strong suits. If he keeps this up however, he should squash any of that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
silver said:
Roy is playing like he did when he had Woodson alongside. Watkins range has allowed Roy to do what he does best, stay close to the line. Couldn't do that with Dixon and Scott at FS.

I agree and don't think you can compare Int stats from years Woodson was here to Int stats since he has been gone to make a case. Williams was in his first and 2nd year when Woodson was here and thus once more experienced should have produced more Int's.

Your point was that when Williams gets to play his natural SS duties and less FS duties he plays better, I agree and I think he will be exposed less often.

Also lets not discount the fact that Brunnell threw a huge duck! I like Roy and do think he is a great player but to say he is great in coverage is not true IMO.

I think BP said the other day that he was better because he was not needing help anymore on where to be. If that was really the case then some people were overating him.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I agree and don't think you can compare Int stats from years Woodson was here to Int stats since he has been gone to make a case. Williams was in his first and 2nd year when Woodson was here and thus once more experienced should have produced more Int's.

During Roy's rookie season, he had four interceptions and two touchdowns in six games without Woodson. That has nothing to do with experience.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Personally, I think Roy's best football came in his rookie year after Woodson went down.

Part of my criticism of him is simply because I don't think he has come close to building on that success he had as a rookie. He looked like he could be something truly special, but instead settled into something slightly above average.

Plus he gets a free pass from fans because he is a "big hitter". He had a stupid penalty in the Jacksonville game and was part of a secondary that got roasted.

He played well last night. The tackle on third and 1 was terrific and he made a good read on the floater Brunell hung up there.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
junk said:
He looked like he could be something truly special, but instead settled into something slightly above average.

Slightly above average? He makes more plays in all phases of the game than any other safety. Last year, he was the first safety in at least five years to have at least 2.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles for turnovers -- not to mention his fumble recovery at the goal line or scoring a game-winning touchdown. Almost all of his turnovers inside the red zone or give us the ball in the other team's red zone. And he's arguably the biggest hitter among all safeties. That's not "slightly above average."

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
they'll be back as soon as he gets burned. i just get tired of the good again bad again volley that people insist upon on a daily / play by play basis.

Reaction score
Personally, i'll take Roy over any other safety in the league. Don't even talk about Ed Reed, because he's on a defense with a ton of superstars and he's always had a good free safety playing beside him. As for Polamalu, let's see what Roy is doing in 5 years after his D-Line and Linebackers and D-Coordinator have perfected the 3-4. Roy is an absolute beast. Of course he's a liability in coverage, or maybe not since he has a pick in each of the first two games of the season.

Sean Taylor of course is great in coverage, besides that he got beat on 2 touchdowns last night. And don't tell me it wasn't his fault on the Glenn TD, because everyone blames Roy for the 2 Moss TDs last year and it's the same situation with the corner hanging the safety out.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think all the credit of Roy playing like this should go to Pat Watkins..... that kid lets Roy be Roy.

icyhot

Reaction score
aquavita said:
People look at it that he got burned by Moss but he has also won two games last year for us. In the Giants games when he caused that fumble by Jacobs on the 1 yard line and also the interception on Mcnabb. If the Giants score on that play I don't think the game would have went into overtime and we win that game.