Roy Williams still overrated?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Slightly above average? He makes more plays in all phases of the game than any other safety. Last year, he was the first safety in at least five years to have at least 2.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles for turnovers -- not to mention his fumble recovery at the goal line or scoring a game-winning touchdown. Almost all of his turnovers inside the red zone or give us the ball in the other team's red zone. And he's arguably the biggest hitter among all safeties. That's not "slightly above average."

This always aggravates me. Unless you proclaim Roy Williams the greatest thing since sliced bread, people get all bent out of shape.

Do you honestly thing he has played as well as he did the second half of his rookie year?

Does have he lapses in coverage? Does he miss tackles? Does he take the occasional dumb penalty? I think the answer is yes.

Do other teams game plan around him? Probably not in the way we'd like. I definitely think teams eye the safeties as an area to attack. Maybe that changes this year, we'll see.

People like to scoff at Polumalu, but he does change the way a team game plans. QBs have to account for him on every snap because of his ability to do so many things.

If you were building a team, would you start with Roy Williams defensively? (if you would, I'd like to play you)

He is a solid player. I like him. He can make game changing plays. I don't think he has built on his early success and developed as I thought he would. I don't like the idea that he struggles because of who plays FS. Great players should stand out irregardless.

I'm glad he is on the team and I think he brings a lot to the table, but I had one person tell me they would only trade Williams to the Ravens for Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Todd Heap and a first round pick. If that isn't overrating a player, I don't know what is.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
junk said:
This always aggravates me. Unless you proclaim Roy Williams the greatest thing since sliced bread, people get all bent out of shape.

Do you honestly thing he has played as well as he did the second half of his rookie year?

Does have he lapses in coverage? Does he miss tackles? Does he take the occasional dumb penalty? I think the answer is yes.

Do other teams game plan around him? Probably not in the way we'd like. I definitely think teams eye the safeties as an area to attack. Maybe that changes this year, we'll see.

People like to scoff at Polumalu, but he does change the way a team game plans. QBs have to account for him on every snap because of his ability to do so many things.

If you were building a team, would you start with Roy Williams defensively? (if you would, I'd like to play you)

He is a solid player. I like him. He can make game changing plays. I don't think he has built on his early success and developed as I thought he would. I don't like the idea that he struggles because of who plays FS. Great players should stand out irregardless.

I'm glad he is on the team and I think he brings a lot to the table, but I had one person tell me they would only trade Williams to the Ravens for Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Todd Heap and a first round pick. If that isn't overrating a player, I don't know what is.

another polamalu hyping.zzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell troy to learn how to tackle better, he misses more tackles than the kansas city chiefs safeties and he gives up his fair share of deep passes. There are a good number of safeties better than troy.

roy>>troy
reed>>troy
taylor>>troy
dawkins>>troy
sharper>>>troy

true story

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
junk said:

:laugh2:

Pretty funny stuff Junk.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Roy Williams seems to be stepping it up again. I get the sense that he's at home in this defense.

Sean Taylor seems to be even more talented as an athlete, but Taylor's mental game is a problem.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
aquavita said:
I wonder where all the haters are now? He seems to even have improved his pass coverage.

Right here. I didn't criticize Roy Williams for being a liability in coverage just for the hell of it: he was a liability in coverage. However, thus far in these two games I haven't seen him getting used like in the past and he has definitely stepped his game up on the pass coverage front. He defensed Cooley pretty good on a few plays yesterday including a pass deflection. He was not caught out of position. I am so happy for him and if he keeps making plays he might be up for the defensive player of the year award. I was so tired of guys saying that he was a top safety and him not playing like one. Now hopefully his walk will continue to match our talk.

Fatty_VM

Reaction score
All I know, it seems like roy is good for a huge play a game. That being said, I love the guy, and it's an honor as a fan to see him play for the team I root for.:D

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17 said:
All those people saying he is an overrated football player didn't know what the heck they were talking about anyways.

And if you couldn't see that he HAD issues in coverage then your technical football knowledge is suspect at best, my advice is that you procure some coaches tapes and Fritz Shurmur's book "Basic Fronts and Coverages".

This year Roy Williams' game seems to be much more well rounded. Instead of just running all over the field he has actually done some nice things when asked to cover and he isn't blowing up coverages like he clearly did last year.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
junk said:

No. if you had called him one of the top five safeties, or something like that, I wouldn't have said a word. But you said he was "slightly above average." Sorry, but someone like Michael Lewis is slightly above average. Gibril Wilson is slightly above average. Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware are slightly above average. Roy Williams, on the other hand, is far above average. He's undoubtedly one of the best in the league -- period. There can be no question about that.

Absolutely.

Is he human? Of course. So is every other NFL player.

You don't think quarterbacks account for Roy when he's near the line of scrimmage? Please.

Polamalu is a good player, but he benefits from the way he's used and the scheme he's in as much as his own abilities. And Roy still makes more big plays.

Personally, I'd take him over any other safety in the league. And I'd laugh at anyone who chooses more than a handful of others ahead of him. So would the vast majority of NFL general managers. Like I said, he's undoubtedly among the best in the league.

MossBurner

Reaction score
Roy is a great SS. One of the top 3 or 4 in the league. But with all due respect to him, 99/100 DBs in the NFL could have made those two interceptions.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Roy is a great SS. One of the top 3 or 4 in the league. But with all due respect to him, 99/100 DBs in the NFL could have made those two interceptions.

And the 1/100 is Carlos "Butterfingers" Rogers, right?

CarlAllDay

Reaction score
hey did you ever think of this, that roy is finally being asked to do what a strong safety is asked to do cover the TE and the slot WR ocasionally and sometimes a RB coming out of the backfeild. he had the int against the jags covering the TE Wrightster,and the skins TE/h-back cooley. he shouldnt be left covering santana moss or randy moss or any other top flight wideout in the league. new england would never leave rodney harrison on any of those guys or jacksonville with donovan darius either. That comes from good coaching and knowing where you have your matchups at. bottom line if roy williams is used properly he can be the force that he's supposed to be. he was allowed to blitz and cover guys that he should be covering he is a top ten defender period in this league. because polamolu, micheal lewis, sean taylor!!!, rodney harrison, john lynch, and anybody else outside of ed reed can not cover any top wideouts in the league. all of those guys are strong safetys and can not cover that well either but they make play where they're supposed to you guys feel me? p.s i know sean taylor is a free safety but i had to include him cuz just ask terry glenn if he can cover or not ha ha ha! oh yeah add adam archeletta to that list too.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
MossBurner said:

Do you really believe that? I can't believe that even half of them would have tried. They would have reacted too slowly and had to go for the hit.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
just ignore moss burner he thinks sean taylor and his career of superiority is better than roy williams a 3 time soon to be 4 time pro bowler/leader of all safeties in interceptions so far.

MossBurner

Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
just ignore moss burner he thinks sean taylor and his career of superiority is better than roy williams a 3 time soon to be 4 time pro bowler/leader of all safeties in interceptions so far.

If Sean wore a star, he would be a 2 time, soon-to-be 3 time Pro-Bowler.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
No way. Wearing the star doesn't guarantee anyone a trip to the Pro Bowl. For proof look no further than Terence Newman who did not allow a TD catch all of 2005 and still didn't go to the Pro Bowl.

superpunk

Reaction score
MossBurner said:

he ought to give something a try. Maybe he should attempt to be nearly as good as the FS's that actually do make the pro-bowl. Like Roy Williams. He makes the pro-bowl because he out-performs everyone else.

It's a bizarre concept, but it works more often than not.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
if sean wore a star people would be telling us how overrated he is because he gives up far more touchdowns than RW

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
another polamalu hyping.zzzzzzzzzzzzz Tell troy to learn how to tackle better, he misses more tackles than the kansas city chiefs safeties and he gives up his fair share of deep passes. There are a good number of safeties better than troy.

roy>>troy
reed>>troy
taylor>>troy
dawkins>>troy
sharper>>>troy

true story

lol just as soon as I read your post I turn and look at the TV and see Polamallu miss a tackle.