Rude people, high prices costing movie theaters

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By ROGER MOORE
The Orlando Sentinel

It's the movies, stupid. The stupid movies.

Well, that and the $7.50 boxes of popcorn. And the $%&*! cell phones.

The summer of 2005 is shaping up as the worst in recent Hollywood history. Box office is down; actual admissions — human seats sitting on theater seats — are way down.

Not just down from last year. Even if you strip away last year's fluke smash — The Passion of the Christ brought in millions who aren't normally moviegoers — the trends are down and not looking good.

Speculation is rampant that we've reached "the tipping point" (USA Today), with summer box office down 11 percent from a year ago, and that people are breaking a lifelong habit, or not putting down the Game Boy, laptop or iPod long enough to develop it (Los Angeles Times).

Things are so bad that the AMC theater chain is offering their money back to folks who see and don't like Cinderella Man over the July 4 weekend. The Wall Street Journal says that Cinemark is considering copying that idea.

"It may be a little early to write off movie theaters altogether," says Joel Davis, vice president of operations for Premiere Cinemas, operators of theaters in Texas, Alabama and Florida. "But anybody can read the numbers. It hasn't been a great year, attendance-wise."

It's the expense, says a Gallup Poll released Tuesday. Seven in 10 potential moviegoers say they would go more often "if the tickets and concessions cost less money." First-run movie tickets more than $10 in much of the country. Not everybody can afford the $3.50 Diet Coke, and those who can aren't keen on spending that kind of money for a soda.

It's also the rudeness of their fellow patrons, who yak and then threaten to punch out those who shush them, and the incessant cell phones, ringing or being checked for messages (little blue screens are very distracting in a darkened theater).

A poll by cell-phone operator Cingular Wireless showed that 73 percent of moviegoers called cell-phone abuse by others the best reason for skipping a movie. That magic number, 73 percent of people polled, told an Associated Press-AOL poll that they now preferred to see a movie at home.

Part of the problem is the popularity of DVDs, the rising number of home-theater systems.

Hollywood is rolling out DVDs so close to the movie's theatrical release date (to fight video piracy, which hurts studios more than theaters) that it doesn't take a lot of patience to catch The Upside of Anger while the buzz over it still lingers. The theater chains hate this, but it's a fact that the gap between theatrical release and DVD has shrunk to as little as two months, though four months is the new standard.

Any trip to an AMC or Regal Cinemas theater involves a preshow video-entertainment package of promotional interviews, movie trailers (ads themselves) and commercials for cars, candy, soft drinks and the like.

Producer Richard Zanuck (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) griped to the Los Angeles Times that audiences "come to see the film and not to be sold something else."

Why are the theaters showing us commercials, anyway? Aren't they charging enough for popcorn?

Movies lose their audiences faster than ever. When you go to a Batman or The Perfect Man and it's showing on four or six screens, that means that nobody is turned away when they try to see it opening weekend. Great.

But while the movie makes all its money in those early weeks of release, studios pocket most of that cash. The theaters don't earn a larger part of the box office until later in the run.

At that point, though, the movie drops out of sight. Theaters take the hit and make their money selling concessions.

And yet the studios expect theater chains to spend millions to put in digital projectors, which will make theaters even more like the home movie-watching experience.

Could it be, maybe, the quality of the movies that's the real drag here? Star Wars or Batman fanatics might disagree, but this has been a year, and a summer, bereft of that out-of-body-experience movie that has everybody talking and everybody going.

Forty-three percent of those polled by Gallup say better-quality movies would get them to the theater more often. Forty-seven percent of those polled by The AP say movies are "getting worse." A whopping 69 percent say movie stars are negative role models for today's children. The antics of Lindsay Lohan or Russell Crowe or Tom Cruise aren't helping their movies.

Though the polls back this up, you're hard-pressed to hear anybody from the studios admit that the downward slide has anything to do with their churning out movies that any night's channel-surfing will turn up on cable.

Remakes always have been with us. Studios always have recycled successful formulas, plots and occasionally even titles. But making bad new versions of The Longest Yard, The Amityville Horror and War of the Worlds, or creating big-screen takes on ancient TV shows that have been rerun to death (The Honeymooners, Bewitched) is no way to bring back the crowds.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/ae/jump/3249134

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
My opinion is its because how quickly movies are coming out on DVD.

I remember when a movie would be out of theaters over a year before you got it on VHS but now films are going from the theaters to DVD in just 2-4 months. I mean why pay 7.50 plus deal with the idiots who are inconsiderate and the high price of cokes and popcorn when you can wait a couple months rent it for 3.50 and watch it when you want.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jksmith269 said:
My opinion is its because how quickly movies are coming out on DVD.

I remember when a movie would be out of theaters over a year before you got it on VHS but now films are going from the theaters to DVD in just 2-4 months. I mean why pay 7.50 plus deal with the idiots who are inconsiderate and the high price of cokes and popcorn when you can wait a couple months rent it for 3.50 and watch it when you want.

That and also the idea that Hollywood is just not coming out with as many new ideas anymore.

I mean we are seeing mostly old movies being redone (ala The Longest Yard and Herbie) or old TV shows made into movies (ala Dukes of Hazard and Bewitched)...and now I hear they are going or are already doing a I dream of Jeanie movie.

Now when I was a young boy watching the show it was not because I thought the show was great...it was Barbara Eden at the time that caught my eye. :)

Hoov

Reaction score
That article makes it sound like movie thetres will be extinct in 10 years, kind of like how the drive in movie theatres have gone.

While i dont think its that bad, and the price of tickets has gone up considerably....i'll still go, but the 5 dollar soda is rediculous. being that its a fountain soda it probably costs them 2 cents, the cup is probably more expensive than the soda in it, yet they charge 5 dollars. I just bring my own drink most of the time.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not been to a movie since the original Jurrasic Park came out at the theaters.

My wife has some weird phobia of the theaters.

We went out on one of our early dates....took her to the mall for some shopping, took her out to eat and then said...let's go see a movie.

She kept saying, no you have spent enough already....but I keep saying let's go, I have the money.

Later on down the road she told me that sitting in theaters is a phobia of hers...she does not know why.

So...since she does not go...I have not since then.

And to be honest I don't miss it at all as like another poster said...I will just have to wait for it to come out on DVD or a movie channel.

Plus the idea I don't have to pay crazy prizes for food and drink, I don't have to hear other people talking and best of all at home I can pause the movie at any time to go to the bathroom or smoke....instead of being at a theater and missing part of the movie because you have to go to the bathroom....or craving a smoke. :)

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have not been to a movie since the original Jurrasic Park came out at the theaters.

My wife has some weird phobia of the theaters.

We went out on one of our early dates....took her to the mall for some shopping, took her out to eat and then said...let's go see a movie.

She kept saying, no you have spent enough already....but I keep saying let's go, I have the money.

Later on down the road she told me that sitting in theaters is a phobia of hers...she does not know why.

So...since she does not go...I have not since then.

And to be honest I don't miss it at all as like another poster said...I will just have to wait for it to come out on DVD or a movie channel.

Plus the idea I don't have to pay crazy prizes for food and drink, I don't have to hear other people talking and best of all at home I can pause the movie at any time to go to the bathroom or smoke....instead of being at a theater and missing part of the movie because you have to go to the bathroom....or craving a smoke. :)

Brain its funny how people dont want to mention things like that at the beginning of a relationship. The girl ive been seeing has social anxiety, though youd never have thought it being that she used to go to nudist camps and such, and she seemed like the ballsy type to say anything and not worry what people thought. Later when it surfaced i was like what's going on your being really weird about this, and she told me. its that she has trouble when meeting new people or certain types of social events and near has a panic attack - which is hard for me cause i love to meet people and be in social situations.

Also, she has some real trouble sleeping and goes through cycles where she sleeps a lot or cant sleep at all cause she gets wound up, so she gets in the tub and falls asleep in the water and stays there for hours. At the beginning she would spend the night, and wake up at 2 am and tell me she had to go home cause she had to be up for work really early and had stuff to do, then i stayed at her house a couple times and id wake up and shed be gone, im a heavy sleeper so id just look around and figure she was watching tv or something, so one night i go into the bathroom and she's asleep in the tub filled with water, i was like *** is going on and im all worried she's gonna swallow water or drown or something. So anyway, thats when she told me about the whole sleeping problem thing and that she's been falling asleep in the tub like that for years. Its weird, sometimes she has no problem sleeping, and sometimes she sleeps like 2-3 hours every 24 hours for a whole week. Sometimes laying in the water helps, its just weird.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I go to the movies about 2 times a month with my girlfriend. Honestly, we've stopped going as much because of the prices and the hassle. Part of the problem is parent dropping off there snot-nosed brats and their buddies to watch a movie and then they start giggling through the whole movie. Ticks me off. What happened to parenting?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoov said:
Brain its funny how people dont want to mention things like that at the beginning of a relationship. The girl ive been seeing has social anxiety, though youd never have thought it being that she used to go to nudist camps and such, and she seemed like the ballsy type to say anything and not worry what people thought. Later when it surfaced i was like what's going on your being really weird about this, and she told me. its that she has trouble when meeting new people or certain types of social events and near has a panic attack - which is hard for me cause i love to meet people and be in social situations.

Also, she has some real trouble sleeping and goes through cycles where she sleeps a lot or cant sleep at all cause she gets wound up, so she gets in the tub and falls asleep in the water and stays there for hours. At the beginning she would spend the night, and wake up at 2 am and tell me she had to go home cause she had to be up for work really early and had stuff to do, then i stayed at her house a couple times and id wake up and shed be gone, im a heavy sleeper so id just look around and figure she was watching tv or something, so one night i go into the bathroom and she's asleep in the tub filled with water, i was like *** is going on and im all worried she's gonna swallow water or drown or something. So anyway, thats when she told me about the whole sleeping problem thing and that she's been falling asleep in the tub like that for years. Its weird, sometimes she has no problem sleeping, and sometimes she sleeps like 2-3 hours every 24 hours for a whole week. Sometimes laying in the water helps, its just weird.

Never heard of someone sleeping in the tub like that.

I have heard of people falling asleep while relaxing...but not with the intentions of going to the tub to sleep.

Very odd.

Are you sure it is not a bathtub full of blood and she is pulling an Elizabeth Batheroy (sp?) on ya?

Might explain the odd hours as well.

J/K

My wife has some odd quirks as well...but I guess we all have our things.

Hoov

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Never heard of someone sleeping in the tub like that.

I have heard of people falling asleep while relaxing...but not with the intentions of going to the tub to sleep.

Very odd.

Are you sure it is not a bathtub full of blood and she is pulling an Elizabeth Batheroy (sp?) on ya?

Might explain the odd hours as well.

J/K

My wife has some odd quirks as well...but I guess we all have our things.

well, things sure stay intersting with her, LOL. I like people that are different, plus i can be quite a handful at times myself, and she put up with all my antics.

Yo, whats the Elizabeth Batheroy reference ?...does it have to do with vampires or something.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
I go to the movies about 2 times a month with my girlfriend. Honestly, we've stopped going as much because of the prices and the hassle. Part of the problem is parent dropping off there snot-nosed brats and their buddies to watch a movie and then they start giggling through the whole movie. Ticks me off. What happened to parenting?

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/billboards/parenting.jpg

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/billboards/parenting.jpg
Hey has anybody read up on some study being conducted to determine whether ritalin is linked to cancer? I saw the headline briefly and never got back to reading the article.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Woody'sGirl said:
Hey has anybody read up on some study being conducted to determine whether ritalin is linked to cancer? I saw the headline briefly and never got back to reading the article.

We should email Tom Cruise. He'll know for sure.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
:lmao: :lmao2:

Congrats you just won post of the day.
Yeah that was pretty good... :D

I swear the offseason has everyone in rare form... :)

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
The meds I take are Geodon (look it up) for my problems. I really hate the medicine becuase you really aren't your self while taking it. I haven't taken it in a while because of this. My Dr wants me too but man I assure you I now know how underwood and all the people who take meds for things like this feel and don't blame them for not wanting to take this crap.

When I first started taking it I lost two whole days. I don't remember them.

Hoov

Reaction score
I read that Ritalin can lead to kidney failure, i know there's a lot of talk about ADD being BS Diagnosis.

My cousin is ADD - hyperactive, and i was diagnosed with having adult ADD - passive...that means i space a lot if theres nothing stimulating going on around me, i just go off in trance like thought - well, youve seen the commercials probably. I cant tell you how many times someone asks me something in a meeting and im like "oh S*it, what have we been talking about" - but im good at saying something that makes it look like i know what everyones talking about or stalling till someone asks the question again, so i cover it up good.

I took cylert and Ritalin for a while but not anymore, that stuff was a pain in the arse, gave me headaches, killed my appetite so people had to harass me all the time to eat...and also if you drink beer with cylert/ritalin you often get a massive headache.

Plus it altered my personality and made me really serious, i mean if you cracked a joke around me i'd look at you and go haha, whatever, and it was like you were an annoyance cause im busy doing something and your slowing me down. people always asked me what is wrong Hoov, you look mad.

But man was i productive on that stuff, though it made me like a robot - so i stopped taking it. I read a book about adult add and picked up some good coping skills so i dont need the meds anymore, it helps to understand your pitfalls and you just guard against certain things.

Hoov

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
We should email Tom Cruise. He'll know for sure.

That was funny. You know it would be fun to sit down with Tom uncensored, no cameras and just ask him questions and say things that would get him all agitated and then watch him go off.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
This article is good new, IMO.

If this trend continues, it will force everyone -- movie theaters, producers, actors, all of them -- to be more accountable.

There are too many crappy movies, arrogant Hollywood producers, greedy movie theater owners and actors who think they're God's gift to all of us.

They all need to have their nuts held to the fire for awhile. I like this trend. It should worry them.

Hoov

Reaction score
Chief said:
This article is good new, IMO.

If this trend continues, it will force everyone -- movie theaters, producers, actors, all of them -- to be more accountable.

There are too many crappy movies, arrogant Hollywood producers, greedy movie theater owners and actors who think they're God's gift to all of us.

They all need to have their nuts held to the fire for awhile. I like this trend. It should worry them.

Ive never heard that expression before, LMAO..im gonna have to rememebr that one. Thanks Chief.