"Rules" for drafting a QB

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Bill Parcells' 4 rules for drafting a quarterback:

1 .The quarterback must be a senior. . .because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback
Goff - Junior
Lynch - redshirt Junior/academic Senior
Cook - redshirt Senior

Hackenberg - Junior
Wentz - redshirt Senior

2. He must be a graduate. . .because you want somebody that takes their responsibilities seriously.
Goff - early enrollee at Cal so possible.
Lynch - Has been at Memphis 4 years so I would think so.
Cook -I'd hope so. He was an early enrollee and redshirted.
Hackenberg - early enrollee at Penn State so possible.
Wentz - This is his 5th year and has been named to honor roll 4 times so far.

3. He must be a three-year starter. . .because you want to make sure his success wasn't a fluke and to know that he has been "the guy" for a significant period of time.
Goff - Yes
Lynch - Yes
Cook - Yes
Hackenberg - Yes

Wentz - No

4. He must have 23 wins. . .because big numbers don't mean a whole lot if you don't win.
Goff - 13 wins with bowl game pending.
Lynch - 21 wins (18 in last 2 years) with bowl game pending.
Cook - 33 wins with Big10 Championship and bowl game pending.
Hackenberg - 21 wins with bowl game pending.
Wentz - 22 wins. Injured this year. Won FCS National Championship in 2014.

There is also the 26-27-60 rule that some teams use. 26 minimum on Wonderlic, 27 career starts, and 60% or higher completion percentage:

26 Wonderlic
Goff - TBD
Lynch - TBD
Cook - TBD
Hackenberg - TBD
Wentz - TBD

27 career starts
Goff - 37
Lynch - 36
Cook - 38
Hackenberg - 37

Wentz - 22, would have surpassed 27 if healthy. Also played in 19 games as a back-up.

60% completion percentage
Goff - 62.1%
Lynch - 63.5%

Cook - 58%
Hackenberg - 56.1%
Wentz - 64.5%

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Going by this, Cook looks like the leader in the clubhouse, but I just don't get fired up thinking about him wearing the star.

alohawg

Reaction score
27 on the wonderlic is nothing to be impressed by considering the prep they have before taking it. However, 27 as a first attempt, with no prep and unexpected would be much more impressive.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
These rules are stupid. Times have changed.

Yes, it's part of the reason I put rules in quotations. There are some outdated issues. More QB's start as freshman than before so the Senior issue isn't as important, but the 23 wins/27 starts helps with that. Spread offenses with short passes make 60% accuracy easier to achieve.

I will say the 3 year starter and accuracy is important though. One of Cook's biggest praises is how accurate he is but his career accuracy is only 58%.
Out all of these guys, Cook does seem like the more Parcells type of guy.

I like Goff and Lynch a lot. Cook or Wentz on the 2nd wouldn't suck but then you lose that 5th year of the rookie contract. I loved Hackenberg's tools as a freshman but he has really regressed. I think he is fixable but seriously doubt Wade Wilson and Garrett are the guys to do it.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Yes, it's part of the reason I put rules in quotations. There are some outdated issues. More QB's start as freshman than before so the Senior issue isn't as important, but the 23 wins/27 starts helps with that. Spread offenses with short passes make 60% accuracy easier to achieve.

I will say the 3 year starter and accuracy is important though. One of Cook's biggest praises is how accurate he is but his career accuracy is only 58%.
Out all of these guys, Cook does seem like the more Parcells type of guy.

I like Goff and Lynch a lot. Cook or Wentz on the 2nd wouldn't suck but then you lose that 5th year of the rookie contract. I loved Hackenberg's tools as a freshman but he has really regressed. I think he is fixable but seriously doubt Wade Wilson and Garrett are the guys to do it.

Thats why teams try to trade up into the late 1st from early 2nd even if they think the QB will be there. That 5th year is very valuable, particularly for the Cowboys who will likely sit him for 2+ years.

Also with Cook, the issue isn't just that his career completion percentage isn't 60%+, but that he never had a season of 60%+. He's been ~58% the last 3 seasons which shows that he isn't improving at the college level in that area, and you shouldn't expect that to jump in the NFL. He's also completed a lower percentage every year than his 1st year.

Connor Cook
2013 (first year starting)- 58.7 (YPA 7.3)
2014- 58.1 (8.8)
2015 57.4 (8.1)

Goff on the other hand has seen improvement from every season. While attempting at least 500 passes each season, assuming he throws 8 more this season in a bowl game.

2013 (first year starting)-60.4(YPA 6.6)
2014- 62.1 (7.8)
2015- 64.2 (8.6)

Lynch also has saw large jumps in his completion percentage, while throwing a considerable amount less than Goff.

2013-(first year starting)- 58.2 (YPA 5.9)
2014- 62.7 (7.3)
2015- 69.0 (9.0)

I would not draft Cook. It's that simple for me. From his inaccuracy to his rumored locker room fit with teammates, I want no part of him.

DuDa

Reaction score
Cody Kessler destroys all these prospects in the aforementioned "rules". Why is he labeled as a mid-rounder then?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He fails this test...
ride.axd

Kalyan

Reaction score
I am not too enamored by cook, but I am a couch scout and without looking into games my gut tells me Goff or Lynch to learn 2-3 years from Romo.
I wonder how Brandon Weeded did with all these rules?

sbark

Reaction score
Wentz is going to rise up boards once he works out.

Yup, Hard for him to be a 3 year starter as Brock Jensen won 3 straight fcs championships. His intelligence shows as he went from a high school Jr. Wr. To backup qb as a redshirt freshman inside a west coast pro set offense. Jenson was much more of a running qb, so coaches knew the chances of injury.
Ps.....tuck another qb name away ...Easton stick.
The redshirt freshman that taken the bison into #3 seed fcs tourney, out of a the toughest conference miss. Valley that placed 5 teams

Last edited:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Thats why teams try to trade up into the late 1st from early 2nd even if they think the QB will be there. That 5th year is very valuable, particularly for the Cowboys who will likely sit him for 2+ years.

Also with Cook, the issue isn't just that his career completion percentage isn't 60%+, but that he never had a season of 60%+. He's been ~58% the last 3 seasons which shows that he isn't improving at the college level in that area, and you shouldn't expect that to jump in the NFL. He's also completed a lower percentage every year than his 1st year.

Connor Cook
2013 (first year starting)- 58.7 (YPA 7.3)
2014- 58.1 (8.8)
2015 57.4 (8.1)

Goff on the other hand has seen improvement from every season. While attempting at least 500 passes each season, assuming he throws 8 more this season in a bowl game.

2013 (first year starting)-60.4(YPA 6.6)
2014- 62.1 (7.8)
2015- 64.2 (8.6)

Lynch also has saw large jumps in his completion percentage, while throwing a considerable amount less than Goff.

2013-(first year starting)- 58.2 (YPA 5.9)
2014- 62.7 (7.3)
2015- 69.0 (9.0)

I would not draft Cook. It's that simple for me. From his inaccuracy to his rumored locker room fit with teammates, I want no part of him.

Agreed, just don't see it with Cook. In fact I don't like him any more than Kevin Hogan whom I would draft rd 4-5.

ghst187

Reaction score
I like Lynch the Goff then Wentz in that order but it's really close.
Cook, hogan, and all the rest look like career backups