"Rules" for drafting a QB

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Hogan has a hitch in his throwing motion (nowhere nearly as bad as Tebow), but man is he battle tested.

He really impressed me against Notre Dame this weekend. He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, but he just has "it." Out of all the signal callers in this draft, if I needed one win from my rookie to make the playoffs, he's the one I would be most comfortable with.

Another name to keep an eye on, if he's eligible is Baker Mayfield, kid is starting to open some eyes.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I think it's from 1997, but thought this might be relevant. I think what Parcells looks for reveals he just wants a QB who doesn't lose the game. Walsh wants a QB who will be the reason for winning the game. I prefer Walsh's perspective in this area, though Parcells is my favorite coach all time.

How I Evaluate Each Position: Quarterback
by Bill Walsh

Ideal size: 6-3, 210

To become a great quarterback, there must be instincts and intuition. This is the area that can be the difference between a very solid quarterback and a great quarterback. This isn't an area you can do much with as a coach. You can certainly bring a quarterback up to a competitive standard, but to reach greatness the quarterback must possess that inherently, ala Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgensen, Ken Stabler and Warren Moon.

If throwing a ball were the only aspect of playing quarterback, then this would be an easy position to evaluate. However, because of the dynamic role he plays on the team, a quarterback must have physical, mental, emotional and instinctive traits that go well beyond the mere ability to pass a football.

Still, if he can't pass, he obviously won't be a good quarterback either. For now, let's assume our quarterback candidate has shown an ability to throw the ball.

http://www.sportsxchange.com/ds97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Thats why teams try to trade up into the late 1st from early 2nd even if they think the QB will be there. That 5th year is very valuable, particularly for the Cowboys who will likely sit him for 2+ years.

Also with Cook, the issue isn't just that his career completion percentage isn't 60%+, but that he never had a season of 60%+. He's been ~58% the last 3 seasons which shows that he isn't improving at the college level in that area, and you shouldn't expect that to jump in the NFL. He's also completed a lower percentage every year than his 1st year.

Connor Cook
2013 (first year starting)- 58.7 (YPA 7.3)
2014- 58.1 (8.8)
2015 57.4 (8.1)

Goff on the other hand has seen improvement from every season. While attempting at least 500 passes each season, assuming he throws 8 more this season in a bowl game.

2013 (first year starting)-60.4(YPA 6.6)
2014- 62.1 (7.8)
2015- 64.2 (8.6)

Lynch also has saw large jumps in his completion percentage, while throwing a considerable amount less than Goff.

2013-(first year starting)- 58.2 (YPA 5.9)
2014- 62.7 (7.3)
2015- 69.0 (9.0)

I would not draft Cook. It's that simple for me. From his inaccuracy to his rumored locker room fit with teammates, I want no part of him.

You guys are good. Great analysis. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He really impressed me against Notre Dame this weekend. He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well, but he just has "it." Out of all the signal callers in this draft, if I needed one win from my rookie to make the playoffs, he's the one I would be most comfortable with.

Another name to keep an eye on, if he's eligible is Baker Mayfield, kid is starting to open some eyes.

Me too. He resembles Romo to me.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think it's from 1997, but thought this might be relevant. I think what Parcells looks for reveals he just wants a QB who doesn't lose the game. Walsh wants a QB who will be the reason for winning the game. I prefer Walsh's perspective in this area, though Parcells is my favorite coach all time.

How I Evaluate Each Position: Quarterback
by Bill Walsh

http://www.sportsxchange.com/ds97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm

^This^ was a good read. Thanks for the link.