Twitter: Rumor: Cowboys making a strong push to sign Za'Darius Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes, but inconsistent with our strategy of not being willing to pay big money for other teams' free agency. We got our FA replacement for Randy Gregory in Dante Fowler; that's the type of move the Cowboys make. No one should expect for Smith to be signed, too.

Now, a cheap 5-tech or NT/DT to replace Urban and Watkins is possible. Or even a linebacker to replace Neal or safety to replace Kazee. Those spots might be considered still open, but we did bring in young players (Odighizuwa, Bohanna, Mukuamu, Cox) to fill those roles, so I also won't be surprised if we don't do much of anything now that we've re-signed Kearse. I would like to see us improve all those spots, but that's not the Cowboys way in FA.

Two years in a row McCarthy made a token effort to get a NT for the middle. Poe and Bohanna. I think we're heading for more 3 man fronts. Odi makes a good 5 tech.

Could easily start the draft with the center of both lines. G/C/NT. The Urban/Watkins route is the cheapo free agent route for holes for roles we want. Looks like they want the role. We may actually spend a decent pick on a NT/1T.

Zordon

Reaction score
Define "strong push" when this guy doesn't even have a visit set up here that we know of. Dallas' so-called "interest" in Smith is about a week old and yet he's visiting the Vikings first?

As much as I want to get my hopes up that he signs here I am simply not taking the bait.
Congrats on not being as gullible as others.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Two years in a row McCarthy made a token effort to get a NT for the middle. Poe and Bohanna. I think we're heading for more 3 man fronts. Odi makes a good 5 tech.

Could easily start the draft with the center of both lines. G/C/NT. The Urban/Watkins route is the cheapo free agent route for holes for roles we want. Looks like they want the role. We may actually spend a decent pick on a NT/1T.

I think we'll primarily keep up the pseudo-3-4, but essentially the same thing in those fronts (5-tech, NT, 3-tech) with Lawrence as the DPR. I think right now we would see Gallimore as the NT in those fronts and Odighizuwa as either the 23 or 5, depending on what we consider Hill. I hope we're not satisfied with those options. Would love to see us fill the guard need in FA and spend that first pick on one of the DTs expected to be available around our pick. Yes, I know we've invested a lot as far as number of draft picks in DTs the last few years, but we still haven't found that stud who can regularly collapse the middle.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
jerry might go for him and get him, he likes big name players, and they want a pass rusher.
maybe not but at least they are talking to him.
Dont know about his back, could be an issue, but jerry usually just ignores that stuff.

blueblood70

Reaction score
their wallets have creaked open a bit maybe its coming..whio knows.,lol dust flew out but we got Kearse, hooker, Gallup, schultz, fowler, Armstrong , and Washington and others

just maybe another is coming,

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Define "strong push" when this guy doesn't even have a visit set up here that we know of. Dallas' so-called "interest" in Smith is about a week old and yet he's visiting the Vikings first?

As much as I want to get my hopes up that he signs here I am simply not taking the bait.

I tend to agree with you, but there still may be interest. Generally the Cowboys don't like to be the price setter for external FAs. Best guess is the agent will get the offer from the Vikings and call the Cowboys and Chiefs and let them know the number. From there those teams will decide if they want to get into the bidding war (in which case the Vikings will raise their offer immediately, or just let it stand).

I can't see smith getting any more than 12-13/year, or at least some contingency based on his back, but he definitely is in teh drivers seat. I doubt the Cowboys get into that competition.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Smart man....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

“Strong push” means Stephen picked up the phone and banged the dial pad with his fist and said “okay, I tried calling…”

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I think we all would do backflips if they drafted a high level NT, but have my doubts. Need to see it to believe it, the same with Safety.

CWR

Reaction score
Both Lawrence and Smith can move inside on passing downs. If Smith is signed, he's starting DE opposite Lawrence.

You don't have to sell me. I'm trying to imagine the FO logic for not spending on the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.