Twitter: Rumor: Cowboys making a strong push to sign Za'Darius Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Just remember, Jerry and Stephen went cheap at WR in 2018 telling us all offseason that they believed WR by committee would be effective and work with Hurns, Beasley and Thompson and a draft pick in Gallup. By October, they knew they had screwed up.

They are going to repeat this mistake at DE. They are going to likely draft a DE somewhere in the middle round and then tell us that Lawrence, Armstrong, Basham, Fowler and the rookie will be good enough with Parsons sometimes playing there. And then by October, they will realize, crap, we have a mediocre pass rush.

They are scared to death or too cheap to take a risk in FA anymore. And it constantly hurts the team.

I wonder whether we'd of paid $6m to Armstrong if we knew that Smith wouldn't sign the agreed contract with the Ravens.....probably not.
Since the loss of Gregory and in the belief that Smith was gone we moved to Option 3 .... Armstrong/Fowler.
Option 3 was never the plan, and agree that you want elite game changers in elite positions, however, plans seldom work out as designed.and its a possibility that we've already spent most of the money pre-allocated for Gregory/DE.
Do we know the reason why Smith didn't sign the Ravens contract?

Sydla

Reaction score
I wonder whether we'd of paid $6m to Armstrong if we knew that Smith wouldn't sign the agreed contract with the Ravens.....probably not.
Since the loss of Gregory and in the belief that Smith was gone we moved to Option 3 .... Armstrong/Fowler.
Option 3 was never the plan, and agree that you want elite game changers in elite positions, however, plans seldom work out as designed.and its a possibility that we've already spent most of the money pre-allocated for Gregory/DE.
Do we know the reason why Smith didn't sign the Ravens contract?

Their logic seems to be spread money amongst multiple guys instead of signing a legitimate player. I think it's fear on their part that if they put all their eggs into one basket, they'll get burned like they did with Carr.

So instead of bringing in a Chandler Jones, a legitimate playmaker on the edge, they are more comfortable spending what they would have on Jones on multiple players. It hasn't worked yet but dagnabit, they are gonna keep trying!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Their logic seems to be spread money amongst multiple guys instead of signing a legitimate player. I think it's fear on their part that if they put all their eggs into one basket, they'll get burned like they did with Carr.

So instead of bringing in a Chandler Jones, a legitimate playmaker on the edge, they are more comfortable spending what they would have on Jones on multiple players. It hasn't worked yet but dagnabit, they are gonna keep trying!
Historically that's the case, however, we did put effort into getting Gregory (fair enough it's another pay our guys scenario), but by the time he'd decided on Denver, Smith was off the table and wasn't Jones on the verge of signing.
The historical issue is undermined by our CAP mismanagement meaning we're left with too many holes to ever chase top FA's.
This year we've spent $11m on DE's....whether that would of been better used on Smith (rather than Fowler/Armstrong), well yes, but he wasn't available at the time

Majic

Reaction score
The miss on Gregory has resulted in a number of further mistakes:

1) I don't think Lawrence would have been given a new 3 year contract. I suspect this was only done to free up cap for Gregory. Stephen Jones was actually right to low ball him.
2) Armstrong looks to have been overpaid as a result. A solid player no doubt but not sure about the extension at that price.
3) Fowler-not sure to what extent he can be relied upon. I think he will have a part time role
4) Smith, Jones and VM stud players all available for the right price we have missed out on due to the above.

A complete lack of intelligence as to what Gregory was thinking

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
like all cowboys fans i am wondering how he could reject the ravens offer and we found the pennies in the cushions to top that. stephen went on vacation and someone else is signing off?

Reactions: CWR

blueblood70

Reaction score

1) I don't think Lawrence would have been given a new 3 year contract. I suspect this was only done to free up cap for Gregory. Stephen Jones was actually right to low ball him.
2) Armstrong looks to have been overpaid as a result. A solid player no doubt but not sure about the extension at that price.
3) Fowler-not sure to what extent he can be relied upon. I think he will have a part time role
4) Smith, Jones and VM stud players all available for the right price we have missed out on due to the above.

not a miss

if Jones wanted him bad enough, he would have removed the clause and apologized got back RG by massaging his ego, he let him walk.

its blessing in disguise,

give it up

Mr. 6.5 career sacks is not huge loss..DA, overpaid?? nearly identical stats in the same snap% as Gregory from Armstong, half the cost. Fowler has twice the career stats hes an Equal player to Gregory so we got two players nearly as good as Gregory for less money with no history of suspension or inurys,.lmao ok my keyboard gm..

no misses', strategic moves once THEY DECIDED to allow RG to walk.

these arent reaches go back into your dark office in your gaming chair and dual headset and calm the flip down. Go back to virtual REALITY, True REALITY ISNT your thing.

trying to spin this to hate on Jones is your issue, its an obvious troll post if you feel somehow RG was the key to our success or failure this season. :lmao2: his zero sacks and critical pentyl in the playoff game is RG:popcorn:

DallasMike

Reaction score
I think they dodged a bullet by not being able to resign Gregory. To give him $70 million bases on "potential" over the course of a full season. Something he has never been able to do. Not sure I go with the "not so much" wear and tear on his body either. His age is what it is. And has been playing since he was a pup.

Reactions: CWR

movaughn88

Reaction score

It's hard to fully comprehend what an athlete trying to maximize what will be his largest career-defining contract and his greedy agent will be thinking.

Hard disagree on your first point - having Dlaw around for an average annual cap hit of ~$18m over the next 3 years is a great deal for the team and the defense, he's a great player.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why not wide receiver? There is a good chance a receiver at 24 will be the highest rated player on the board.
because need vs BPAS there's an order now if the ones i listed aren't clearly better then say a WR/TE sure its would have to be clear cut but no i say 3rd/4th round in deep wr class is best.. if you dont think Lamb, Gallup, Washington, brown, possibly turner,. and Simi etc isnt a solid WR core with schultz back etc you've been brainwashed that we need to stack Wrs we do not, thats a better wr core right now then the packers and id say at least 16 other nfl teams have,,

we actually need TE far more unless sprinkle and McKeon takes a step. IMO wr way down the list.

so im out on taking a wr earlier then 3rd round, we got Gallup in the 4th far bigger holes elsewhere..

terra

Reaction score
It's hard to fully comprehend what an athlete trying to maximize what will be his largest career-defining contract and his greedy agent will be thinking.

Hard disagree on your first point - having Dlaw around for an average annual cap hit of ~$18m over the next 3 years is a great deal for the team and the defense, he's a great player.
Only a football moron would call Dlaw a great player.

links18

Reaction score

They can win the NFC Least doing what they do and thus stay in January, which is about all they care about.

CWR

Reaction score
I think they dodged a bullet by not being able to resign Gregory. To give him $70 million bases on "potential" over the course of a full season. Something he has never been able to do. Not sure I go with the "not so much" wear and tear on his body either. His age is what it is. And has been playing since he was a pup.

The whole thing about Gregory and his "potential" is that it's played out. He's freaking 30, and we keep going off potential.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
because need vs BPAS there's an order now if the ones i listed aren't clearly better then say a WR/TE sure its would have to be clear cut but no i say 3rd/4th round in deep wr class is best.. if you dont think Lamb, Gallup, Washington, brown, possibly turner,. and Simi etc isnt a solid WR core with schultz back etc you've been brainwashed that we need to stack Wrs we do not, thats a better wr core right now then the packers and id say at least 16 other nfl teams have,,

we actually need TE far more unless sprinkle and McKeon takes a step. IMO wr way down the list.

so im out on taking a wr earlier then 3rd round, we got Gallup in the 4th far bigger holes elsewhere..
I am sick of drafting receivers as well but the Arkansas receiver has potential to be a Dez type. I think I would rather take a chance on that type of player over an average guard like Green or Johnson.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am sick of drafting receivers as well but the Arkansas receiver has potential to be a Dez type. I think I would rather take a chance on that type of player over an average guard like Green or Johnson.

average no but we will take BPA on many positions before WR book that so LB/DT/OL /TE could be great one and better choice among those choices before a WR..if all things are equal you take the need WR is not a need IMO.

kumizi

Reaction score
His guaranteed money is basically 2 years, $28 million.

He will never see anything close to $70 million unless he overperforms.

morasp

Reaction score
And he could fall to 24 due to combine numbers. Some people hate him but he is a big game player. Alabama knew he was Arkansas' best player and even they couldn't stop him as he had 8 catches for 179 yards and 2 TDs. That would give us 2 WRs with great run after catch ability. Even Moore could come up with some schemes for them.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Only a football moron would call Dlaw a great player.

I bet you quote sack numbers out the wazoo and think you understand the DE position.

Do you know how many sacks Charles Haley had in 1992 when he took our defense "to the next level" and Cowboys won the super bowl? 6.
How about how many sacks did Haley have when they repeated in 1993? 4.

Sacks in the playoffs (6 games!) during those years? 2.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.