Twitter: Rumor: Cowboys making a strong push to sign Za'Darius Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how strong Stephen's offer was if Smith blocks his calls! It surely doesn't seem like a "strong" push to me! :omg:

Jarntt

Reaction score
They've won the NFCE only 2 times in the last 5 years.

Not exactly killing it there.
4 out of the past 8 is kind of dominant even if in a weak division. Tallest midget in the room kind of thing, but still...

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I know this has been hashed out on here but If what they are saying is true about why he pulled out of the Ravens deal we have no shot. He’s looking for big deals

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/details-emerge-surrounding-failed-deal-163556020.html

“…Smith and his agent then proposed a different deal to the Ravens. The Ravens accepted the revised terms. They were then told that Smith would make a decision the next day…The next day, Smith and his agent proposed a dramatically different deal. The Ravens passed, and that was that.”

Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network relayedthat one of the reasons why the deal fell apart was due to Von Miller and Chandler Jonessigning lucrative contracts with the Buffalo Billsand Las Vegas Raiders, respectively.

“The deal then fell apart after Von Miller (six years, $120 million) and Chandler Jones (three years, $51 million) signed bigger free agency contracts. That is believed to be a factor in Smith’s decision to not rejoin the Ravens, per league sources.”

Jarntt

Reaction score
I know this has been hashed out on here but If what they are saying is true about why he pulled out of the Ravens deal we have no shot. He’s looking for big deals

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/details-emerge-surrounding-failed-deal-163556020.html

“…Smith and his agent then proposed a different deal to the Ravens. The Ravens accepted the revised terms. They were then told that Smith would make a decision the next day…The next day, Smith and his agent proposed a dramatically different deal. The Ravens passed, and that was that.”

Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network relayedthat one of the reasons why the deal fell apart was due to Von Miller and Chandler Jonessigning lucrative contracts with the Buffalo Billsand Las Vegas Raiders, respectively.

“The deal then fell apart after Von Miller (six years, $120 million) and Chandler Jones (three years, $51 million) signed bigger free agency contracts. That is believed to be a factor in Smith’s decision to not rejoin the Ravens, per league sources.”
I'm not so sure we have no shot, if we even want him. I mean, I have to assume there is some common ground somewhere between $35M and $120M...

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Thanks - I was wondering why he rejected the agreement. Yup, we have no shot then.
Wagner or bust now

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He's only ever played LB right? Ware made the transition well, but that could be a consideration in what team he goes to.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He's only ever played LB right? Ware made the transition well, but that could be a consideration in what team he goes to.
He was an end at Kentucky. He was tried out at the senior bowl as a LB and then played LB for Ravens & Packers. He's 6-4 1/2 275 and ran a 4.83 at the combine.

Jarntt

Reaction score
You sign a Smith for passing downs and in the nickel the 3-4 becomes a 4-3 most of the time and even if there is a different set used on a particular play, he's playing the edge either way. He can put his hand in the dirt or stand up, whichever he prefers when he is hunting QBs...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He was an end at Kentucky. He was tried out at the senior bowl as a LB and then played LB for Ravens & Packers. He's 6-4 1/2 275 and ran a 4.83 at the combine.

Not that he cant do it, but literally all his success is as a stand-up pass rusher. That would definitely influence my decision making

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You sign a Smith for passing downs and in the nickel the 3-4 becomes a 4-3 90% of the time. He can put his hand in the dirt or stand up, whichever he prefers when he is hunting QBs...

But if he's at what Baltimore offered him, can you justify a 14m$ part time player?

Jarntt

Reaction score
But if he's at what Baltimore offered him, can you justify a 14m$ part time player?
We rotate our ends either way. No Dallas DL had 55% of defensive snaps played last year (injuries were part of this). You pay a guy like him to rush the passer. Not to get run over and not be able to set the edge on early downs. Gregory only played 63% of snaps in the playoff game. What's that worth I guess is up for debate

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'm not so sure we have no shot, if we even want him. I mean, I have to assume there is some common ground somewhere between $35M and $120M...

Right! There is a shot from the standpoint we made cap room and could sign him. I went “no shot” because he went through 2 offers and a counter with the Ravens and left because he saw the market. I just don’t see the Jones family throwing out what he’d want. I may be dead wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.