Rumor: Cowboys tried Trading up for WR

JBS

Reaction score
This doesn’t even make sense. So they never tried to trade up bc the players were gone before they even had a chance. Mosher a complete tool

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I wonder what OL we could have drafted in 2nd round if we had taken DE Johnson in 1st round ?

And If Smith was still there in 2nd round we could have moved up to get him then.

That to me would have been best case scenario.
He wouldn’t of been both Tennessee and Tampa wanted him in the 1st. Tennessee tried to trade up

Proof

Reaction score
Yes cap space. funny people complain jerry like his own player and overpays and yet when they release him to free up cap space he should have kept him. lol They money saved on his contract freed up a lot of space now and the remaining portion of his deal

That's not getting something in exchange for him though. It's just ... not having him. And yeah, the time to get frugal (imo) isn't once hitting the most flexible part of the contract, and on the heels of a 12-5 season. And having cap space and using it (and especially using it effectively) aren't the same thing. If the money is put to better use, I'll shutup. As it stands though, horrible decision and execution.

cowboyec

Reaction score
glad it didn't.
wouldn't have mind the move up for cross but not london.
love the jalen tolbert pick.
love the first 3 picks.
glad it worked out the way it did.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With Michael Gallup likely to be put on pup for the first few weeks of the season the Cowboys are going to miss Amari Cooper. The WR position is a concern. The FO is going to be trashed pretty good if our passing game struggles.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's not getting something in exchange for him though. It's just ... not having him. And yeah, the time to get frugal (imo) isn't once hitting the most flexible part of the contract, and on the heels of a 12-5 season. And having cap space and using it (and especially using it effectively) aren't the same thing. If the money is put to better use, I'll shutup. As it stands though, horrible decision and execution.

before the season ended I had said Dallas will keep either Gallup or Cooper but not both, so losing Cooper was not a shock. I like him and wish we could have kept him but pushing money down the road especially with other high priced FA coming due.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Is called doting your "I's" and crossing your "T's". The Cowboys searched for trade partners before the draft just so they could know what's actually available. I'm sure they looked into trading up and trading down. So there's no real story here because they look for trade partners like this every year.
Exactly, nothing to see here. Most, if not all teams have multiple scenarios if a certain player(s) start falling within a certain range and what they're willing to give up to make those trades. I'd be more concerned if they didn't have contingencies in place to move up or down depending how the draft fell out.

Jipper

Reaction score
Exactly, nothing to see here. Most, if not all teams have multiple scenarios if a certain player(s) start falling within a certain range and what they're willing to give up to make those trades. I'd be more concerned if they didn't have contingencies in place to move up or down depending how the draft fell out.

exactly what i was going to say....always be ready to go get someone if they are high on your list and they drop...its basically stating the obvious for any team...the spin here is to try and stir up drama about the FO being dumb (which they are sometimes) but werent in being prepared for the potential scenarios.

click bait

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, seems like instead of thanking Booger for standing pat, we need to thank ATL and SEA for taking London and Cross before some badly needed draft capital was spent.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Thank God we didn't trade up for a WR. We have two good ones. We don't need to be using our 1st round pick plus a 2nd or whatever we would have to give up for a 3rd one.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys were not shy about their desire to land a top receiver in the draft, but in the end, the team opted not to trade up instead selecting Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith at No. 24. Locked on Cowboys’ Marcus Mosher reported the team attempted to move up on draft night to land USC wideout Drake London, Ohio State receiver Chris Olave or Mississippi State’s offensive lineman Charles Cross.

“Again, some of this is based off what we’re hearing and behind-the-scenes stuff, but the Cowboys were looking to trade up for Drake London or Charles Cross,” Mosher explained on the April 28 edition of “Locked On Cowboys.”Drake London goes eight, it’s far too high to trade up. Charles Cross goes nine to Seattle, I believe, too far to trade up. At that point, at least it seemed like the Cowboys were going to be patient and wait.

R
ead More: https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/trade-rumors-nfl-draft/
Smart let the draft come to you, don't force it, unless their is a great deal to be had.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I wonder what OL we could have drafted in 2nd round if we had taken DE Johnson in 1st round ?

And If Smith was still there in 2nd round we could have moved up to get him then.

That to me would have been best case scenario.

Keep up with the rumors...Titans would have taken Smith at 26 (and offered to trade up to get him)....and as for trading up for a Guard, why bother, the one we wanted was still there at 24.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Keep up with the rumors...Titans would have taken Smith at 26 (and offered to trade up to get him)....and as for trading up for a Guard, why bother, the one we wanted was still there at 24.
I’m not sure I believe those rumors.

stinkface

Reaction score
With Michael Gallup likely to be put on pup for the first few weeks of the season the Cowboys are going to miss Amari Cooper. The WR position is a concern. The FO is going to be trashed pretty good if our passing game struggles.

I think we will run the ball a lot for the first 4 weeks and then Zeke will blow out a tire and will be mostly worthless for the rest of the season and we will be back to throwing. Gallup will be back by week 4 so we should be fine. PS. This team is a shell of what it was during Dak's rookie year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think we will run the ball a lot for the first 4 weeks and then Zeke will blow out a tire and will be mostly worthless for the rest of the season and we will be back to throwing. Gallup will be back by week 4 so we should be fine. PS. This team is a shell of what it was during Dak's rookie year.

Running the ball a lot will depend on the OL and Zeke and our defense. I just don’t see that happening. Our OL and Zeke are a shell of what they were Dak’s rookie year. Passing the ball is a big part of our offense and I don’t see that changing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If we were intent on going OL in 1st round we could have moved up to like 15 and taken our top OL on our board Kenyon Green from Texas A&M who went to Houston.

Green wasn't the top guard on our board. Smith was. Now, maybe we would have taken Green instead of Smith at 24 because he's more play-ready, but the Jerry said both Green and Zion Johnson were rated below Smith, and the draft list he showed confirmed that neither were rated above him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yeah cause we needed to be sitting 20 million under the cap May 4th

But we needed to have balanced the CAP on or about the 16th March. When Coop was traded on the 12th Jerry (for right or wrong) wanted to sign Gregory and the changes to the DLaw contract hadnt been agreed. Also the La'el money doesnt come off the CAP until June.

Let's also ignore the fact Cleveland immediately restructured and freed up 15 million on Coops contract

The whole idea was to rectify the CAP for 22 and 23, if we did a Cleveland restructure then in 2023 we would pay Coop a $23m contract .....or $15m Dead Money.

The decision was alot more complex than you're making out.