Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

CPanther95

Reaction score
We also know that he's NEVER going to make back the $14 million he passed up last year. Never, ever, ever.

You don't need to "make back" last years money if you are just (wisely) looking at total career earnings. It could end up just being a cheap insurance policy.

Your premise only makes sense if a drop in productivity, or injury, is a rare thing with RBs. We know that it is not.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Absolutely. And while Vernon's deal was huge when it was signed, it's been eclipsed by far since then. The recent deals for Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald have blown things up, and forced Dallas to pay much more to do business. They chose to wait and now must pay the price.

I know everybody wants to get every player for the Cowboys on the cheap, but it's just not realistic. If you want to win over these next three years, you pay your War Daddy pass rusher. And be thankful that you're one of the few teams who can.

Yep. Good for Lawrence for working hard and betting on himself. He's earned the contract based on the market, and I STILL bet that the Cowboys will pay slightly less than he would get on the open market with a bidding war. THere are a lot of DL who are coming up at the end of their contracts and basically, from what I've read, ALL their teams are trying to find ways to keep them. It's not going to be as many players as the WR market is, so if any of them hit free agency, they are going to get PAID.

Sydla

Reaction score
We have to see what guaranteed money Bell gets before we know.

We know he's definitely going to make more money than if he played and tore an ACL last year.

Actually you don't know that. Because he's essentially starting $15MM in the hole right now. And ACL injuries are no longer the death blow to careers they once were so Bell likely overplayed his hand.

Todd Gurley has the highest paid RB contract and he's had a serious knee injury.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Actually you don't know that. Because he's essentially starting $15MM in the hole right now. And ACL injuries are no longer the death blow to careers they once were so Bell likely overplayed his hand.

Now you're just being silly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, he's never getting that money back, nor the year of his career. I thought what he did was stupid to be honest.
It was stupid for him but for me I thought it was a way to give the players their power they deserve like the NBA has. But I don’t think now is the time. The players need this same energy when the CBA is up in 2021.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now you're just being silly.

Refute the point. Is it not a fact that he's now out $15MM?

Where is he making up the $15MM? If he played in 2018 and never got hurt, he's now up $15MM and then looking at a big contract to put on top of the $15MM he pocketed.

Now? He's just going to get paid his new contract and frankly, he probably cost himself money by sitting out because teams are going to be weary of signing him. So I suspect the market isn't going to be as strong as he thinks it will be for him.

It was a dumb move on his part. He got his bluff called and lost $15MM cash.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't need to "make back" last years money if you are just (wisely) looking at total career earnings. It could end up just being a cheap insurance policy.

He missed out on $14 million and got a year older. His "total career earnings" will never recover that lost income back.

Your premise only makes sense if a drop in productivity, or injury, is a rare thing with RBs. We know that it is not.

No, my point makes sense because Father Time is undefeated. And at the running back position most of all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Good for Lawrence for working hard and betting on himself. He's earned the contract based on the market, and I STILL bet that the Cowboys will pay slightly less than he would get on the open market with a bidding war. THere are a lot of DL who are coming up at the end of their contracts and basically, from what I've read, ALL their teams are trying to find ways to keep them. It's not going to be as many players as the WR market is, so if any of them hit free agency, they are going to get PAID.

Look no further than the Bears and Khalil Mack. They not only made him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history, they gladly gave up two first round picks for the privilege. And they and everyone else STILL think they STOLE HIM and got the far better end of the deal. And it's hard to argue when they went from worst to first and made the playoffs.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Refute the point. Is it not a fact that he's now out $15MM?

Where is he making up the $15MM?

Come on now. If he played and tore an ACL near the end of the season, he's likely to miss the lion's share of the following season anyway. He most certainly would be heavily discounted.

There's a reason players want guaranteed money - a potential career ending injury is ever only one play away.

Someone could easily make a case that $30 million guaranteed over 3 years is better than $15 million for one year for an NFL RB and the risk that position carries.

CPanther95

Reaction score
He missed out on $14 million and got a year older. His "total career earnings" will never recover that lost income back.

And that can only be known if you know how long his career will be - or would have been if he played last year. Last year may have been the one effective year he had left in him... or 2017 could have been his last decent year.

No, my point makes sense because Father Time is undefeated. And at the running back position most of all.

Either way he's negotiating his next contract one year older. Now he's got 450ish fewer touches on his odometer.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I've seen this in other places and it keeps cropping up. Comparing Lawrence's 2019 deal to deals signed in 2014-2016 is really not a comparison. Cap goes up, market resets. In 3 years this deal will be nothing big and others will get paid higher.
:hammer:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Look no further than the Bears and Khalil Mack. They not only made him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history, they gladly gave up two first round picks for the privilege. And they and everyone else STILL think they STOLE HIM and got the far better end of the deal. And it's hard to argue when they went from worst to first and made the playoffs.

If the rumor from the OP is true, I think it's fair in light of Donald and Mack. THose guys are clearly a tier above Lawrence and got paid as such. The Lawrence "rumor" as reported by a fan site is a contract that is not the size of Donald or Mack, but what the second tier of edge players can expect.

I'm kind watching the Patriots - I wonder if they will have the cap space to re-sign Trey Flowers. If not, I don't *think the Cowboys would go after him, but I think he'd be a nice addition. He's like a better, younger version of Crawford (and I know your opinion on Crawford) who is on a major upswing. If you could get Flowers, renegotiate Crawford and get an anchor late in teh draft, I feel a lot better about the DL going into 2019.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Either way he's negotiating his next contract one year older. Now he's got 450ish fewer touches on his odometer.

And $14 million that he'll never make up. And he's a year older.

He was dumb.

And now? It's buyer beware from here on out too. His next team knows what Bell's biggest priority is, getting paid. And he'll be looking to make up that's lost revenue from them. And know that once veteran running backs get paid, they go in the tank, and don't care when they miss games anymore, or if the team just so happens to win.

Teams inevitably regret giving big contracts to aging running backs. Every single time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the rumor from the OP is true, I think it's fair in light of Donald and Mack. THose guys are clearly a tier above Lawrence and got paid as such. The Lawrence "rumor" as reported by a fan site is a contract that is not the size of Donald or Mack, but what the second tier of edge players can expect.

I'm kind watching the Patriots - I wonder if they will have the cap space to re-sign Trey Flowers. If not, I don't *think the Cowboys would go after him, but I think he'd be a nice addition. He's like a better, younger version of Crawford (and I know your opinion on Crawford) who is on a major upswing. If you could get Flowers, renegotiate Crawford and get an anchor late in teh draft, I feel a lot better about the DL going into 2019.

Trouble is that you have to decide on tagging Lawrence before you know what might happen with Flowers.

conner01

Reaction score
I had a 5-year deal for him pegged at exactly $100 million. That's the going rate and the coast of doing business. Compared to the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, it's a relative "bargain". My issue would be with the "guaranteed money" portion based on his suspension and injury history.
That’s about what I thought
As for the guaranteed portion I would want to do that where it’s not signing bonus so much as salary. That way if he gets suspended you don’t have to go after him to get it back because it isn’t paid yet. Put language in it’s guaranteed barring suspension and spread it out over a few years and a few mil up front to load up his bank account

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s about what I thought
As for the guaranteed portion I would want to do that where it’s not signing bonus so much as salary. That way if he gets suspended you don’t have to go after him to get it back because it isn’t paid yet. Put language in it’s guaranteed barring suspension and spread it out over a few years and a few mil up front to load up his bank account

That's what I'm expecting too.
:thumbup: