RUMOR: Jimmy Johnson next coach for Rams?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I found this on the Draft Sharks website:

Mike Martz Steps Down
NFL.com reported that Mike Martz will not coach again this season due to that bacterial infection in his heart valve. He will step down and Joe Vitt will finish the season. "This is very difficult for me to do," Martz said. "But I know it's the right thing to do." Now here's a wild rumor we've heard going around: The Rams will buy out Martz' contract and send him packing after the season, then they will go after Jimmy Johnson and offer him whatever he wants, even minority ownership.

Seems extremely speculative to me... but if there's a grain of truth in it, it could be very interesting.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Jimmy has made it clear that he is no longer interested in Coaching. He's happy on his Yacht and with Fox. there is a better chance that he'll go back to The Miami Hurricanes then coach the Rams!. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I don't understand why Jimmy's name keeps popping up. I think Jimmy loved coaching enough to pursue it to make enough money at it to be financially stable. And though I still think he would love coaching, I think he loves football more, and the fact that he can continue his love of football with by being a broadcaster making a significant amount of money on the top broadcast team is enough to satisfy that love, without dealing with the stresses and headaches. Plus, he has all the time in the world to enjoy himself on his yacht.

He's not Bill Parcells who loves to do it, apparently, more than anything else in life.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Though the thought of money and a stake in ownership could be enough to get him out of the announcers chair for a strech of years.

Dallas31

Reaction score
Jimmy sucked in Miami. He did great in Dallas, but that was with Troy Aikman pretty much dropped in his lap before he took the job, and a Hershel Walker trade which helped greatly seed this franchise.

CoCo

Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
Jimmy has made it clear that he is no longer interested in Coaching. He's happy on his Yacht and with Fox. there is a better chance that he'll go back to The Miami Hurricanes then coach the Rams!. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:

And why did Parcells come back? He too we can presume had enough money and a nice football gig with ESPN. But he got the itch again because as he put it "its what I do" or said another way, "its who I am".

Now answering who we are is very much an individual thing and just because Parcells came back, or Gibbs, or Vermeil, or whoever doesn't mean it proves Jimmy will too.

But neither does having lots of money or any other circumstance or appearance guarantee they won't come back. The greater question is how do they want to spend their remaining days on this earth. The answer to that certainly can change over time.

I'm not predicting Jimmy's return. Only that I would not be absolute in ruling it out. But if he comes back I doubt it will be financially motivated (which doesn't mean he wouldn't use his leverage :) ) but rather an inner itch he wants to scratch once more.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Coach Johnson is rumored everywhere.

Unless that destination has a place for him to use his boat, he isn't going.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how far St. Louis is from the ocean? No way Jimmy goes there.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Dallas31 said:
Jimmy sucked in Miami. He did great in Dallas, but that was with Troy Aikman pretty much dropped in his lap before he took the job, and a Hershel Walker trade which helped greatly seed this franchise.

My thoughts exactly.......Hershel, (and I am not complaining) made us the team of the 90s......and it is history.....great history I may add!

Zman5

Reaction score
It has to be BS.

Parcells came back because he needed the money. He supposedly went through a costly divorce.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
JJ is done. He'd be worse than Martz.

Tuna has a long history of rebuilding teams in the NFL spanning decades. No other purpose in life.

JJ has a short history with the cowboys (where he tried to leave amidst a superbowl to coach in comfy florida with his boat) then soon flunking out as HC of the Dolphins.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
flashback said:
Do you have any idea how far St. Louis is from the ocean? No way Jimmy goes there.

Exactly right- I don't think the Mississippi River would be all that attractive to him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As Jimmy himself has said in the past. Never say never. I think it is unlikely he will return but not out of the question.

Hoovie

Reaction score
Sounds like a wild rumor to me.

That said, I will say this: everyone has a price.

silver

Reaction score
chinch said:
JJ is done. He'd be worse than Martz.

Tuna has a long history of rebuilding teams in the NFL spanning decades. No other purpose in life.

JJ has a short history with the cowboys (where he tried to leave amidst a superbowl to coach in comfy florida with his boat) then soon flunking out as HC of the Dolphins.

strong words and i disagree. jimmy was done in miami because marino was 80 by the time he got there. and he never found his replacement. which is why i doubt jimmy goes to st. louis. he'll be rumored to go to whoever owns the first pick in the draft and matt leinart is available and healthy.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
flashback said:
his yacht fits on the mighty mississipi,
besides wo ever thought tuna would coach the dallas cowboys, never say never!!

ravidubey

Reaction score
If the situation was right, Jimmy would return. Remember how long Dick Vermeil left the game? That was a big precedent set there, his returning and winning the Superbowl.

FolsomCowboy

Reaction score
silver said:
strong words and i disagree. jimmy was done in miami because marino was 80 by the time he got there. and he never found his replacement. which is why i doubt jimmy goes to st. louis. he'll be rumored to go to whoever owns the first pick in the draft and matt leinart is available and healthy.

His yacht would fit in the Gulf and Houston is lookin pretty good for the #1 pick and Houston is pretty close to Port A