RUMOR: Jimmy Johnson next coach for Rams?

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Dallas31 said:
Jimmy sucked in Miami. He did great in Dallas, but that was with Troy Aikman pretty much dropped in his lap before he took the job, and a Hershel Walker trade which helped greatly seed this franchise.

IMO Jimmy could of been sucessful in Miami if he had given the chance to oust an aging Marino and had the oppertunity to bring another QB through the draft or FA.

In 1999 Marino was injured in a game where backup Damon Huard led a comeback. They went 7-1 before Marino's first game back. He would have the worst game of his career, on Thanksgiving in Dallas, throwing 5 interceptions and having a passer rating of 0.0.

Jimmy told the Media they had the chance to be dominant. When asked who would be QB. He simply replied "Dan is still the man".

Miami went 2-6 in their last eight games, but still backed into the playoffs at 9-7. After a close win over Seattle in the wild card round, they suffered the worst playoff loss in NFL history against the Jacksonville Jaguars: 62-7. After the season, Jimmy Johnson left the team and Marino retired.

SO I wouldn't say he exactly sucked in Miami. I just think he never had the option to bring in another QB because of the popularity of Marino, and Miami desperately trying to get there future HOF QB a superbowl ring before his retirement.

dal0789

Reaction score
He is never going to coach again, and if he does it had better be with with Dallas Cowboys!!!!!

jem88

Reaction score
dal0789 said:
He is never going to coach again, and if he does it had better be with with Dallas Cowboys!!!!!
That would be a beautiful thing!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
kojak_DD said:
IMO Jimmy could of been sucessful in Miami if he had given the chance to oust an aging Marino and had the oppertunity to bring another QB through the draft or FA.

In 1999 Marino was injured in a game where backup Damon Huard led a comeback. They went 7-1 before Marino's first game back. He would have the worst game of his career, on Thanksgiving in Dallas, throwing 5 interceptions and having a passer rating of 0.0.

Jimmy told the Media they had the chance to be dominant. When asked who would be QB. He simply replied "Dan is still the man".

Miami went 2-6 in their last eight games, but still backed into the playoffs at 9-7. After a close win over Seattle in the wild card round, they suffered the worst playoff loss in NFL history against the Jacksonville Jaguars: 62-7. After the season, Jimmy Johnson left the team and Marino retired.

SO I wouldn't say he exactly sucked in Miami. I just think he never had the option to bring in another QB because of the popularity of Marino, and Miami desperately trying to get there future HOF QB a superbowl ring before his retirement.

Thank you for that historical perspective.

Jimmy Johnson wanted to move Dan Marino out, but he discovered Dan was more popular than even he.

Jimmy learned his lesson when he announced he would bench Jim Jeffcoat, threatening his chance for consecutive starts. The media and fans were unrelenting and Jimmy changed his mind.

I sincerely believe Jimmy would have traded Marino if he could find a trade partner and if he didn't think he'd experience a backlash of major proportions.

Many want to knock Johnson because he couldn't duplicate his success in Miami, but remember Jimmy didn't have to contend with the salary cap when he was with the Cowboys. He did when he went to the Dolphins. And despite that, he rebuilt that defense.

He's still the best game-day coach I've ever seen. But I think he's more comfortable discussing football than coaching. He's already created his legacy, and as another poster has stated, I don't think he's really concerned about being a coaching legend beyond what he did in Dallas.

jimmy40

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Thank you for that historical perspective.

Jimmy Johnson wanted to move Dan Marino out, but he discovered Dan was more popular than even he.

Jimmy learned his lesson when he announced he would bench Jim Jeffcoat, threatening his chance for consecutive starts. The media and fans were unrelenting and Jimmy changed his mind.

I sincerely believe Jimmy would have traded Marino if he could find a trade partner and if he didn't think he'd experience a backlash of major proportions.

Many want to knock Johnson because he couldn't duplicate his success in Miami, but remember Jimmy didn't have to contend with the salary cap when he was with the Cowboys. He did when he went to the Dolphins. And despite that, he rebuilt that defense.

He's still the best game-day coach I've ever seen. But I think he's more comfortable discussing football than coaching. He's already created his legacy, and as another poster has stated, I don't think he's really concerned about being a coaching legend beyond what he did in Dallas.
Great post.