1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Rumor: Lincoln Riley "Very High" on the radar of Jerry and Stephen Jones

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cas2800, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Cas2800

Cas2800 Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    1,564 Likes Received
  2. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

7,270 Messages
    11,759 Likes Received
    Jerry will bully that guy like no other. 36 year old college coach with 3 years experience. Classic Jerry move. Rumors are that Meyer wants too much control. I mean why do that with one of the best college coaches ever and a guy that wins big every stop? Better to hire another yes man that has little experience and no desire to help on the defensive side of the ball.

Nothing will change.

3. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

2,908 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    That's exactly what I mean. We will know whats going to be what with this hire, possibly even beforehand if a coordinator is hired first.

I'm done if he pulls this, and I don't want to be, but I cant keep this up. It's not healthy, and I'm not trying to be funny.

4. George

George a legend in your own mind

995 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    So true. Jerry really is the problem.

5. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

11,163 Messages
    16,440 Likes Received
    Agreed. Best hope it's someone else for this obvious reason.

stasheroo likes this.
  6. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

9,350 Messages
    6,561 Likes Received
    If jerrah is not willing to give up control to UM, then he doesn't want to win. He doesn't want to give up camera time and will continue to try to get that squad peg in the round hole doing it his way.

7. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,825 Messages
    16,751 Likes Received
    No thanks
    His lack of ANY NFL experience scares the heck out of me and quite frankly he's just another Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly IMO. Just me but I think Jerry tried cool that perception a bit the lack of NFL success college coaches have had. So I'm not sure this isn't blown out proportion a bit. In other words, Jerry probably like/loves a lot of coaches but that doesn't mean he see them as a coach for the Cowboys.

aria, RodeoJake, stasheroo and 2 others like this.
  8. SmarterThanEinstein

SmarterThanEinstein Member

50 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    nothing like having a senior citizen making all the major decisions of a 6 billion dollar team.

Mind_Liberator and NorthTexan95 like this.
  9. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

16,298 Messages
    19,791 Likes Received
    Lincoln Riley will be a hot item as a potential NFL head coach in the days to come. If the Dallas FO wants to secure him, they'll likely have to be decisive about it. The Cowboys organization is slow as molasses about making decisions. Do that with him and he'll likely end up elsewhere.

On the downside, he's exactly the type of college transitional candidate that they'd try to hand pick his assistants for him, whereas, a successful NFL coaching candidate wouldn't allow it. Hopefully, he'd make certain to resist their attempts to do so, if he knows what's good for him.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. acr731

acr731 Well-Known Member

3,212 Messages
    7,643 Likes Received
    If Riley has even half a brain he will stay as far away from Jerry's clown show as possible.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Captain-Crash, Seven, Valkyr and 7 others like this.
  11. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

9,350 Messages
    6,561 Likes Received
    LLLOOOLLL, get it in writing.

Buzzbait and Bullflop like this.
  12. CPanther95

CPanther95 Zone Supporter

4,597 Messages
    6,808 Likes Received
    He'll be a good choice to mentor Kellen Moore for 3-5 years until he's fired.

13. Pants

Pants Well-Known Member

5,250 Messages
    6,384 Likes Received
    love him, a young talented team may rally around a new, innovative coach (my fav choice for next year's HC)

fredp22, BigD_95, brooksey1 and 3 others like this.
  14. fivetwos

2,908 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    Jerry doesnt respect the HC position as being key.

Thinks he can do it himself and I wish he just would.

At this point, comparing him to Al Davis is a serious insult to Davis.

MikeT22, Buzzbait, morat1959 and 3 others like this.
  15. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

4,630 Messages
    2,867 Likes Received
    Being a very successful college coach requires different skills than being an NFL head coach - recruiting at the top of the list. No real recruiting in the NFL, drafting is the key. If Riley misses on a recruited high school player, he has 89 other guys to make up for it. But miss on an NFL draftee and you've blown about a quarter of your opportunity, since your top 4 players are about as far down as you can go and get a really good shot at having a quality player. The Bradys of the NFL are rare.

Doesn't mean Riley can't do it, after all he sees top college players in action "up close and personal" so he could pick from who he knows the first couple of years, after that he'd be at the mercy of his scouting department.

Much as I loved Jimmy as a head coach, Riley won't get a ton of high draft picks and a ton of free agents like Jimmy did, since he left so early we'll never know if Jimmy could have had the Landry-like or Belichick-like continued success, from his Dolphin days it would indicate he wouldn't, but again, he left Miami so soon we'll never know that, either....

Cover 2, Hawkeye0202 and Bullflop like this.
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,446 Messages
    4,549 Likes Received
    I’m not surprised. It seems they have college coaches more on their radar then nfl. I think rhule is the dark horse.

Bullflop and unionjack8 like this.
  17. fivetwos

2,908 Messages
    2,837 Likes Received
    Yeah but the idea that the coach has no authority is a bigger issue than XO.

No coach can work that way.

Bullflop likes this.
  18. Twisted Dawg

Twisted Dawg Well-Known Member

517 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    Totally agree Jerry will bully Riley. Meyer intimates Jerry because he's an older alpha and Jerry cant bully him. If Riley is hired, I wonder if the few assistants Jerry allows him to hire are OU college guys? Look for Kellen Moore to be retained. Maybe Richard is promoted to DC. Get ready boys, it ain't going to be pretty.

yimyammer likes this.
  19. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    3,374 Likes Received
    What about that OU defense though?

MizzouCowboy4 and Pants like this.
  20. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

14,515 Messages
    15,458 Likes Received
    Against the best team in coege football. Oh no... Must mean he is a bad coach..come back when he loses against their backups like Garrett does..