RUMOR: Roy fined $10,000 for horsecollar

J-DOG

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1123171 said:
Grabbing the collar of the jersey is the same as grabbing the pads when making a "horsecollar" tackle
This rule basically goes against all principles of football.

First they made it where you could not grab the collar and land on the legs of the defender...Oh yeah but it's not anything against Roy Williams:rolleyes: tackle against TO that caused this in the first place.

Yeah right...they just implemented it the next season after that tackle by coincidence.

Now you cannot grab them by the pads when tackling.

I think the refs do not call it in a game because they know how stupid the rule really is.

I see these type of tackles all the time but very rarely see them called on the field.

But that doesn't end it though...the NFL executives sit up in thier cushy chair and play Monday morning qb and fine players for tackles they could not make any other way.

When Tags took over he tried to over manage every aspect of the game to the point that he went overboard and took the competitive spirit out of it with a stupid rule like this.

That's a lawyer for ya!

Kilyin

Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me really. You know one of Seattle's OTs just got suspended for one game this season for an incident that occurred in January LAST YEAR. I don't really like the direction the NFL seems to be heading in.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Kilyin;1123269 said:
That doesn't surprise me really. You know one of Seattle's OTs just got suspended for one game this season for an incident that occurred in January LAST YEAR. I don't really like the direction the NFL seems to be heading in.
The league is bigger than ever but I agree with you.

It seems they are so intent on protecting the players they forget about the competitive in-balance they create but putting rules like this in.

The great players get great ratings on TV, and the money making engine that the NFL is wants to capitalize on everything they can get thier hands on.

It's a shame. The game is changing for the worse.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1123362 said:
i saw 1 lastyear and it wasn't even a horsecollar

they might as well just give up the rule and go straight to fining players for it after the game then

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1123366 said:
they might as well just give up the rule and go straight to fining players for it after the game then
they need to give up a lot of rules and stop babying the offense. mike ditka told rex grossman last week "we shoulkd put little pink skirts on you guys next"

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Cowboy Junkie;1122935 said:
I did not see it as a horse collar..
For a horse collar dont you have to bring him down with it because Roy impeded his progress with it but then he made the tackle by grabing they guys ankle with his other hand.

Exactly how I saw it.

I think tiki must of complained after the game to get him fined. You know how the Giants are, they complain about everything.

JPM

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1123358 said:
has anyone been called for it in 1 and a half years???

It's been called in the pre-season, and I think it was called against the Bears this year.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1122945 said:
They are. Roy's is more, because he's a repeat offender.

He is also very good at it. Not every player is strong enough to horse collar with one hand like that. I know it can lead to injury, but what is a defender supposed to do? Once the ball carrier gets past him (it happens in the NFL), the defender's instinct is to grab the player however he can to tackle him. Grabbing low is not always a viable option. It's as if the rules dictate that you let the ball carrier go if you are not at a "perfect angle" to tackle him. A bit unfair IMO.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
if anyone re-watches the tackle, he grabs tiki by the back of his jersey and grabs one of his legs to take him down.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
BlueStar22;1123686 said:
if anyone re-watches the tackle, he grabs tiki by the back of his jersey and grabs one of his legs to take him down.

Post a link to a replay of the tackle.

IMO, by the time he barely grabbed the leg it was already a horse-collar.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1123752 said:
IMO, by the time he barely grabbed the leg it was already a horse-collar.

Of course it is ..... you are a hatefull Commander fan. :D

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a confirmation of this rumor?

Every other fine this season has been reported by the Dallas media.

And just for reference, here is the actual horse-collar rule --

Section 2 Personal Fouls
Article 1 All players are prohibited from:
( d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note the key part of the rule -- "and immediately pulling down the runner."

anava

Reaction score
I thought the whole horse collar was grabbing the pads or jersey and pulling down, by being dragged did he ever pull down. He perfected the horse collar tackle, I personally thought he got dragged a few extra yards trying not to pull down. I have seem him miss a few tackles but I dont think I have ever seen someone drag him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1123760 said:
Has anyone seen a confirmation of this rumor?

Every other fine this season has been reported by the Dallas media.

And just for reference, here is the actual horse-collar rule --

Section 2 Personal Fouls
Article 1 All players are prohibited from:
( d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note the key part of the rule -- "and immediately pulling down the runner."
I can't confirm anything with a link, but I was watching last night on the Fox NFL show when Jay Glazer mentioned it.

Daudr

Reaction score
My understanding of the rule is that in order for it to qualify, they have to tackle by the collar only. Roy, in both cases last week, tackled with one hand on the collar and another on the legs, thereby making it a perfectly legal tackle.