Rumors and Ratings

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think he was referring to the revenue. The ratings have been in decline and this SB was the lowest in 14 years. The NFL is not in trouble but I do wonder about it with the under 30's and their varied interests over the next 10-15 years and the reduction in young players. I think a lot of the prime NFL target audience was hooking themselves up on X Box and PS5"s when those got released.
All TV viewership is declining. Live sports in which NFL dominates is not as effected. And NFL and live sports rule over network TV as their biggest drawing card.

If I was the network and NFL I’d look to create more documentary’s like ESPN and NFLN has done to attract more viewers.

Sports and News is dominating the air waves. Everything else is DVR for later viewing or dialed up with other mediums.

NFL will add of course a 17th game and they added 2 additional playoff games this year. They’ll continue creating new avenues to increase this worth to the Networks. Cause without live sports like the NFL , the Networks would fizzle away.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't recall knowing anyone since 2010 under the age of 21 who is an NFL fan. The NFL is the WWE 30 years ago before its decline with steroids, contrived drama, bad actors, gullible fans and greed.
All of the kids in our family are Cowboy and football fans . But then there aren’t many people I’m acquainted with here in Texas who aren’t fans, regardless their age.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMHO, the vast majority of the rumors and inside info that we’re enduring right now are manufactured drama to affect contract negotiations and generate intere$t in a sport that’s declining.

If EVER I could attain time travel, I’d fast forward 10 weeks, simply to end this MEGA-TIRESOME, supremely epic nightmare of uncertainty, eyerolling speculation, and useless disagreements.

I love to talk Cowboys, but I’d really like to see enough resolution to just be able to relax a little, ya know?
So go on a late Winter break and when you come back in the spring we'll have a resolution. Why keep your ear to the rumor wheel all that time?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am still ONE OF YOU. I will always be ONE OF YOU, God help me. Hey, I was the Grand Poobah of the PostJackersGuild at one time!!!

Like I try to tell y'all, just think of me as Evil Roy Slade, I am trying to go legit. But I know how y'all hate a reformed criminal.
Yea, we’re glad someone who knows all of us over these years has the power now. A great move by Reality. He’s a business man. And runs a solid site. All of DC.com refugees has increased his revenue here significantly I imagine.

And both you and Hazey fit the mold so to speak. You’re not inciting or trolling tendencies , not contemptuous or attacking others. I bet neither of you ever even received a warning. Upstanding forum members. Perfect for a Mod if that’s what you want.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CBS got $.5B in ad revenue for the SB. It was the lowest watched SB since 2006 even when adding in the record number of people streaming. The large number of streamers sounds encouraging but it is like growth rates early in something. Streaming doesn’t bring in the revenue like tv does, yet.

Hard to make sense of what is going on.

I can watch any game I want for free online. Any game. I use a burner cheap computer to stream from Europe in case of a virus. Same computer I use to get free songs from YouTube - mp3 converting from audio.

NFL owners have worries. Tv viewers are declining. Streamers increasing but not much revenue there yet, I think. Red zone is better than any game. Tv networks don’t like that. Teams lost on average $180-200M this year. 2021 not looking good. Do fans really want to spend a couple hundred dollars in person rather than sitting at home for free. Average age of NFL viewers is in the 50s. That coveted age bracket of 18-29 is not there for the advertisers. College football is more exciting than the NFL.
CBS will now have to provide makegoods because the ratings point, % of the demographic population, level wasn't achieved. And they can't do that with expendable inventory, overnights.

The NFL has to be scratching their heads, along with the nets, at what they're seeing. Is this a trend?

In their ever trying to build the brand and expand the universe, have they diluted the product?

I much prefer college because it's more about the actual game. I don't care about players' contract or how much they make and the showing off has reached another even more irritating level. It's gone form building the NFL brand to too many of these players trying to build their own brand. Just give me the game and stop talking all of the time, it's like watching Heckyl and Jeckyl do a game. Shut up and let me feel the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All TV viewership is declining. Live sports in which NFL dominates is not as effected. And NFL and live sports rule over network TV as their biggest drawing card.

If I was the network and NFL I’d look to create more documentary’s like ESPN and NFLN has done to attract more viewers.

Sports and News is dominating the air waves. Everything else is DVR for later viewing or dialed up with other mediums.

NFL will add of course a 17th game and they added 2 additional playoff games this year. They’ll continue creating new avenues to increase this worth to the Networks. Cause without live sports like the NFL , the Networks would fizzle away.
Fantasy saved the NFL from being just one of the sports. Gambling being embraced will help too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This probably deserves its own thread but Goodell deserves much credit for not only steering the league thru this seasons pandemic but really the most difficult era Id argue in NFL history as it continue to transcend with the times including all of the issues it’s confronted with in society.

I know he’s received criticism for his disciplinary actions but that’s a critical part of the success he’s been able to achieve overcoming theses social unrest the league and its players have encountered which has divided sone of our fans as they have walked away as a result. But he’s stayed the course . And every decision in the long run appears the right decision for the league.

But the way he handled this pandemic with strict guidelines fining HC’s for not wearing mask initially and the protocols to avoid not cancelling any games which no other league can claim is truly remarkable.

He’s going to be an early lock for HOF. And history is going to reflect generously on him perhaps before he’s done surpassing Rozelle as greatest Commish ever.

Yea, I said it here first. Ok . I’m starting a thread. Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, we’re glad someone who knows all of us over these years has the power now. A great move by Reality. He’s a business man. And runs a solid site. All of DC.com refugees has increased his revenue here significantly I imagine.

And both you and Hazey fit the mold so to speak. You’re not inciting or trolling tendencies , not contemptuous or attacking others. I bet neither of you ever even received a warning. Upstanding forum members. Perfect for a Mod if that’s what you want.
Gregg, Get Out of Jail Free card PM'd to you.

Funny being alongside Bullet, I could easily see him as a mod. He's the Threadmeister here and puts a lot of research, time and thought into his threads. I have a thought and think 'hey, I'll start a thread" and about the 2nd page, if it gets that far, I am rethinking the thought that took me there. I have actually argued against my original thought in my own thread. That's the real beauty of opinions. We can own them but we don't have to keep them. And I was married for 42 years, got no problem admitting I was wrong.

Motorola

Reaction score
CBS will now have to provide makegoods because the ratings point, % of the demographic population, level wasn't achieved. And they can't do that with expendable inventory, overnights.

The NFL has to be scratching their heads, along with the nets, at what they're seeing. Is this a trend?

In their ever trying to build the brand and expand the universe, have they diluted the product?

I much prefer college because it's more about the actual game. I don't care about players' contract or how much they make and the showing off has reached another even more irritating level. It's gone form building the NFL brand to too many of these players trying to build their own brand. Just give me the game and stop talking all of the time, it's like watching Heckyl and Jeckyl do a game. Shut up and let me feel the game.
College Football is not more about the actual game. The studio shows and game broadcasts still give homage to the schools' longtime traditions and the unbridled enthusiasm of the students at the games. But they also shamelessly tout that Saturday afternoons - plus all the other weekedays & nights games are played -- are real-time evaluations and workouts for future players in the NFL.
A Half-century ago, the college game tv broadcast would start off informing the audience of how many starters and lettermen returned from each team's previous season. The play-by-play announcer would give you the name of every starter on both sides of the ball for both teams.
But since the 1990s, the only players noted are those deemed to have demonstrated ample ability to "Play on Sundays \ Play at the Next Level".
Referring to "Brands"? 'CouchCoach-- the top collegiate players at the longtime elite programs = "football factories" are promoted and touted with personality and SWAG to present they are worthy of garnering the various awards of the best achiever\performer at their positions. - leading to an outstanding review going into the combine & draft.
When the college football season rolls around again this August....pay particular attention to how much coverage the sports media gives the TEAMS best suited to dethrone Alabama - AND - compare that situation to how much sports media analyses what PLAYERS are the top first round prospects for the NFL.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score

Didn't that admin lady they sent in start benching everyone left and right? Thought that was the impetus for the original exodus.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Exactly. Perfect examples how the NFL continues creating new interest to attract the fringe fans.
So go on a late Winter break and when you come back in the spring we'll have a resolution. Why keep your ear to the rumor wheel all that time?
A late winter break.. really...
that explains a lot to a lot of us..
enjoy that late winter break

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m not sure what’s worse , the whiners or whining about the whiners. Lol

Instead, why not start a thread on what you’d like to discuss. Just a thought ...

No! Whining about the whining about the whining of the whiners is the worse-est! Now...let’s discuss custody, alimony and visitation!

ESisback

Reaction score
This probably deserves its own thread but Goodell deserves much credit for not only steering the league thru this seasons pandemic but really the most difficult era Id argue in NFL history as it continue to transcend with the times including all of the issues it’s confronted with in society.

I know he’s received criticism for his disciplinary actions but that’s a critical part of the success he’s been able to achieve overcoming theses social unrest the league and its players have encountered which has divided sone of our fans as they have walked away as a result. But he’s stayed the course . And every decision in the long run appears the right decision for the league.

But the way he handled this pandemic with strict guidelines fining HC’s for not wearing mask initially and the protocols to avoid not cancelling any games which no other league can claim is truly remarkable.

He’s going to be an early lock for HOF. And history is going to reflect generously on him perhaps before he’s done surpassing Rozelle as greatest Commish ever.

Yea, I said it here first. Ok . I’m starting a thread. Lol
You make some good points. It’s a thankless job. We look back on Paul Tagliabue (spelling) with fondness, but I wonder how he’d be perceived if he were in charge now...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No! Whining about the whining about the whining of the whiners is the worse-est! Now...let’s discuss custody, alimony and visitation!
Fortunately not a discussion I’ve ever had to have . Not any family members or close friends either .

The couple of divorces I do know of were after the kids were grown. And peaceful splits on the most part.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't that admin lady they sent in start benching everyone left and right? Thought that was the impetus for the original exodus.
In her defense, that's what they brought her in to do. The mods, all of which most of us had known well before they were mods, were our posting buddies and you'd really have to push their buttons to get a time out. Remember Don and his missing mailbox? He had me rolling in the floor, I really miss him and his humor.

One off season, a bunch of us ran Rob Phillips off when his job was Topic of the Day. LMAO, we'd start in by assaulting his lame topic and go off on our own tangents. We had threads titled Bacon, What are all of these threads about bacon? (Bacon Part 2, a second helping) Random Thoughts and my favorite of all time, This thread is about nothing at all. We did 4 pages discussing what constitutes nothing before we actually began posting about nothing. It was the off season and the mods were pretty lenient and I think they got a kick out of it as much as we did. It was goofy as hell but man was it funny.

I know you came in while a lot of that was going on. Took us a couple of months to figure out your moniker was Jeremiah backwards......after you told us. Most thought you were a sheik buddy of Booger's.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You make some good points. It’s a thankless job. We look back on Paul Tagliabue (spelling) with fondness, but I wonder how he’d be perceived if he were in charge now...
Good question. He didn’t have the confrontations, public and or social issues this era has had . Or even Rozelle had.

The league expanded and had little issues besides 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina were only obstacles to overcome but nothing where the league or players were directly involved in any controversies . I don’t believe there were even any labor disputes