Rumors are Brian Kelly just took the LSU job

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The reported $15M is apparently incorrect...........but STILL a boatload of $$$$$

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gets-100-million-10-year-deal-lsu/8816093002/

Brian Kelly's 10-year deal with LSU football includes $1.2M loan for residence, eye-popping bonuses
Steve Berkowitz
USA TODAY
LSU’s new football coach, Brian Kelly, is set to receive just over $100 million in basic compensation over 10 years, according to a term sheet USA TODAY Sports received from the school Tuesday night.

The deal – which is subject to a satisfactory background check and approval by the LSU Board of Supervisors – makes Kelly the first coach at a public school with a nine-figure contract.

His pay is categorized as $400,000 in base salary annually, supplemental compensation that begins at an annual rate of $8.6 million, and a $500,000 “longevity” payment that he will receive if he is on the job each July 1. The start date is “no later than” Nov. 28 and the first year ends Dec. 31, 2023.

His basic total of $9.5 million for 2022 will tie him with Michigan State’s Mel Tucker as the second-highest paid public school coach behind Alabama’s Nick Saban, who is set to make $9.9 million. Michigan State disclosed the terms of Tucker’s 10-year, $95 million deal Monday.

terra

Reaction score
And this is just the 'official' money. I have heard speculation that Saban in total clears over $15 million a year.

RaZon

Reaction score
Had to have been frustrating for Kelly trying to recruit then hearing,....he can't make the academics. Well he won't have that problem at LSU.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks Like the DC Marcus Freeman will be the new HC of ND.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao:

Jason Garret will be lucky to land a coaching job in the Ivy League. He just got fired for bringing the same stale offense to NY that he ran in Dallas for the 10 previous years.

At this point, Garret is looking at a QB coaching gig in the NFL or maybe an OC job in college if he chooses to try and reinvent himself. In fact, i'd wager he ends up on Sabans staff.

to be fair, I think Jason has a shot at the Raiders or Bears.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
College football is all about the dollars even though coaches and universities try to say it’s not. Still not sure why coaches and schools can’t wait until the offseason to do this.

It is all about the dollars when it comes to hiring people. You aren't changing jobs for a doubling of your salary? The timing is about the recruiting cycle.

Ghost12

Reaction score
It sure seems as though Kelly wanted to bring most of his assistants with him to Louisiana and I don't think a single one went with him. That kinda speaks volumes right there. I cannot imagine this guy succeeding at LSU. This was a big mistake for the University.

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/Article/Brian...outhern-accent-goes-viral-in-video-177111676/

Brian Kelly: New LSU coach's southern 'accent' goes viral in video

Brian Kelly is doing whatever he can to fit in with LSU right away. After leaving Notre Dame for the Tigers’ opening earlier this week, Kelly did the usual media rounds. That included a speech to the LSU basketball crowd during a break in the game. Kelly actually debuted a new method of speaking, his southern accent.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i still think notre dame is one of those jobs you don't leave.
kelly did a helluva job there.
wish he had stayed but i think freeman will do really well.

terra

Reaction score
i still think notre dame is one of those jobs you don't leave.
kelly did a helluva job there.
wish he had stayed but i think freeman will do really well.
BK did a very good job there; but could not get over the hump. Just could not beat any top 10 teams or win when it really counted. That will be demanded of Freeman; he will have to win playoffs games and at least make it to the Championship game.

cowboyec

Reaction score
BK did a very good job there; but could not get over the hump. Just could not beat any top 10 teams or win when it really counted. That will be demanded of Freeman; he will have to win playoffs games and at least make it to the Championship game.
kelly is a heckuva coach.
i like freeman.
he seems to have really connected with his players.
tony rice and chris zorich made me fall in love with notre dame football...i would love to see them return to being a perenial championship contender.
thats a special place,i think it can happen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the most necessary traits a HC has to have to recruit is character and I find Kelly sorely lacking in that. LSU used to be my #2 but no longer.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LSU’s starting QB and star tight end are entering the transfer portal. Can anyone explain the logic behind this? Isn’t Kelly supposed to be a great hire by LSU?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...quarterback-max-johnson-enter-transfer-portal

It is a good hire, but anytime you have loyalty to the fired coach, there's going to be resentment directed at the school. I guarantee these transfers are people disenchanted with the LSU athletic department. Ogeron was very popular with the players and a great recruiter. It didn't matter who LSU hired. Some kids were going to leave. Same is happening at OU who just lost a 5 star DT to A&M in spite of the fact they hired one of the best defensive minds in college football. The kid felt lied too and was going to leave no matter what once Riley left.

Last edited:

terra

Reaction score
It is a good hire, but anytime you have loyalty to the fired coach, there's going to be resentment directed at the school. I guarantee these transfers are people disenchanted with the LSU athletic department. Ogeron was very popular with the players and a great recruiter. It didn't matter who LSU hired. Some kids were going to leave. Same is happening at OU who just lost a 5 star DT to A&M in spite of the fact they hired one of the best defensive minds in college football. The kid felt lied too and was going to leave no matter what once Riley left.
The big High School stars do not care about the school, they care about the coaches. Position and HC are what they care about.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought I read where Saban has it in his contract that he is the highest paid Sec coach or something to that affect. If it is not him than it someone else who at a high profile school.