Run defense - assignment football

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I believe this play shows the breakdowns or miscues occurring with this run defense. Not only are we short in talent in some areas. But guys aren't playing assignment football and doing their jobs. Micah referred to it as guys trying to be heroes or Superman. Im not saying it is easy but what im seeing here should not happen but it does continually with this defensive unit.

Below is just an example of what we're seeing on nearly every defensive series. The DL, LB and even the S are late to react to Lamar keeping the ball. The TE has no one to block until he's 7 yards downfield and Lamar glides in for the TD untouched. This is not to call any one particular player out because I honestly dont know who messed up here but I would have to believe someone had the assignment to stay with Lamar no matter what ESPECIALLY in the red zone when it's more likely he will keep it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, overshown is way late to trigger to Lamar there. The play is schemed up fine - 13 has absolutely no reason to peak inside and immediately surrenders outside leverage by reacting late.

Here's another one, what on Earth is 6 doing???

Mazi actually absorbs 3 OL, the entire DL wins and sets edges, but 6 just goes freelancing for no reason and opens up a hole willingly.

DT has not been and still is not the biggest issue with this defense. It doesn't matter who is there if LB and S are not disciplined in their gap control.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If you look at the full play the LT blocks down so Micah is supposed to crash down to avoid creating a massive gap. The issue on that play is the backers, I'm really not sure what they are reading. It was 11 personnel with the Y off the line. 9 times out of 10 that Y will take you right to the ball. I'm very confused as to what Zimmer is having these guys read.

Stardog

Reaction score
On one of the early drives three big running plays were on the ends (Parson and Lawrence). They were left unblocked and didn’t make a play. Saw linebackers hitting the wrong hole and when they do hit the right gap they are slow to do it. Not saying the dt have been good but this game the ends and backers got abused.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
On one of the early drives three big running plays were on the ends (Parson and Lawrence). They were left unblocked and didn’t make a play. Saw linebackers hitting the wrong hole and when they do hit the right gap they are slow to do it. Not saying the dt have been good but this game the ends and backers got abused.
This is Pop Warner football stuff. No NFL defense should continually have ball carriers 7-10 yards down field before even getting touched, if at all.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He's kind of annoying but Emmanual Acho has been just killing the Cowboys alignment/assignment football for the last two weeks.

Another good example. Guys are just free-styling out there and it’s killing the overall defense. An outmanned defense has to play sound defense to have a chance.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Calling an edge "unblocked" when a team is running a read option at them with a talent like Lamar is ridiculous.

Edge assigned to the HB in the inside and LB over the top to take the QB on the keep is fundamental for defenses.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Yes, overshown is way late to trigger to Lamar there. The play is schemed up fine - 13 has absolutely no reason to peak inside and immediately surrenders outside leverage by reacting late.

Mazi actually absorbs 3 OL, the entire DL wins and sets edges, but 6 just goes freelancing for no reason and opens up a hole willingly.

DT has not been and still is not the biggest issue with this defense. It doesn't matter who is there if LB and S are not disciplined in their gap control.

Diggs had a chance to stop Henry but was non commital just slow dive after he is gone , he wanted no part of that

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Akoye confirms what must of us saw happening in real time. Players are not doing their jobs, they are guessing and out of position for no reason.

Praxit

Reaction score
..to many players wanting to be Heroes. Undisciplined football. Who's to blame?

Yep, Coaches! Zimmer is another cupcake.

Stardog

Reaction score
Calling an edge "unblocked" when a team is running a read option at them with a talent like Lamar is ridiculous.

Edge assigned to the HB in the inside and LB over the top to take the QB on the keep is fundamental for defenses.
Two plays I saw Parson he was indeed unblocked. He got stuck in no man’s land and didn’t make a quick decision. I don’t know if he had the rb or qb on the play but either way he didn’t get either of them. Depending on call responsibilities can switch.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Two plays I saw Parson he was indeed unblocked. He got stuck in no man’s land and didn’t make a quick decision. I don’t know if he had the rb or qb on the play but either way he didn’t get either of them. Depending on call responsibilities can switch.
YES HE IS THE OPTION MAN. He is unblocked on purpose.

When the QB keeps it, in that scenario, it's becuase he played to the RB.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

From what I’ve been seeing from various clips, Wilson is the worst offender. At what point do you start benching player?

Stardog

Reaction score
YES HE IS THE OPTION MAN. He is unblocked on purpose.

When the QB keeps it, in that scenario, it's becuase he played to the RB.
On this play he didn’t get either of them and tackled Jackson for 12-15 yard gain. Either way he was wrong. Point is even when this D making mistakes they doing it slow. They look confused instead of hauling butt to a spot. Just my two cents.