Run defense - assignment football

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Same mistakes in the same circumstances........... :facepalm:

Yeah. I mean, you can just pick at least one play per defensive series. The opposing offense has a ball carrier untouched through the line of scrimmage for at least 7 yards. There's no excuse for it..

Stardog

Reaction score
Roger that. Whenever I see the reply of the game I’ll show a few plays I saw. Until then I’ll go with you the defensive ends played a great game my bad.

Creeper

Reaction score
When you watch the entire game it is startling how many times the Cowboys outside contain guys rush inside and get caught out of position. You'd think any human being would make that mistake once or twice and then not get suckered inside again. Akoye is right. DLaw has been doing this for years. I have been saying this for years myself, Make them all watch videos of Demarcus Ware in his prime and watch how he contains the outside. Textbook. They should all be forced to watch and learn.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

There’s a few plays showing other mistakes before the one I mentioned feel free to watch. At about the 16 min mark on this video it’s 1st and 20 and Parson got ate up just like I had said.

Nope. He has the C gap on the shoulder of the OT and J Lew has the edge. The instant 4 goes in motion, Lewis has the edge because he is uncovered - he has 0 reason to be 5 yards off the LOS at the snap. It is his responsbility to eat the block of the pulling TE and turn the play back inside to Micah. If you pause it at 16:03, Lewis should be at the LOS on the outside edge giving Lamar no gap to choose.

This AKOYE dude is completely wrong on how you are supposed to defend this, because the edge resets when the WR motions away.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

There’s a few plays showing other mistakes before the one I mentioned feel free to watch. At about the 16 min mark on this video it’s 1st and 20 and Parson got ate up just like I had said.

I'm just not sure that he got ate up though at the 16 minute mark. This is basically the exact same play as the one to start the game. Once again the Y is off the LOS and no one follows him, which I think is the real issue here. I just can't say it enough that an off the LOS TE typically takes you right to the football. The only difference in this play is that Jordan Lewis isn't in man coverage following the motion WR.

Maybe we end up hearing it from someone inside the locker room that these DEs are supposed to have contain on these plays, but typically if you have the G block down on the DT, and the T block down on the backer that DE is supposed to crash down. It feels like a lot of these guys reviewing the tape played in high school and have it pounded in their heads that DE always has contain. It really just depends on the reads the OL gives you, and from the reaction we saw from not just Micah but everyone playing DE I think this is accurate of how Zimmer is coaching these guys to play it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
lI believe this play shows the breakdowns or miscues occurring with this run defense. Not only are we short in talent in some areas. But guys aren't playing assignment football and doing their jobs. Micah referred to it as guys trying to be heroes or Superman. Im not saying it is easy but what im seeing here should not happen but it does continually with this defensive unit.

Below is just an example of what we're seeing on nearly every defensive series. The DL, LB and even the S are late to react to Lamar keeping the ball. The TE has no one to block until he's 7 yards downfield and Lamar glides in for the TD untouched. This is not to call any one particular player out because I honestly dont know who messed up here but I would have to believe someone had the assignment to stay with Lamar no matter what ESPECIALLY in the red zone when it's more likely he will keep it.

Looks like Parsons is not attacking lamar he is waiting to chase him. Looked like lamar is standing there waiting and Parsons starts to go away from him and let’s lamar take off to the edge. Parsons should have came right towards him. We knew lamar would run the ball 8 or more times. Never really got to him. They had our Defense so confused. He only had to throw the ball 15 times. They ran it down our throats. And we knew ahead of time. This will be most teams plan.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm just not sure that he got ate up though at the 16 minute mark. This is basically the exact same play as the one to start the game. Once again the Y is off the LOS and no one follows him, which I think is the real issue here. I just can't say it enough that an off the LOS TE typically takes you right to the football. The only difference in this play is that Jordan Lewis isn't in man coverage following the motion WR.

Maybe we end up hearing it from someone inside the locker room that these DEs are supposed to have contain on these plays, but typically if you have the G block down on the DT, and the T block down on the backer that DE is supposed to crash down. It feels like a lot of these guys reviewing the tape played in high school and have it pounded in their heads that DE always has contain. It really just depends on the reads the OL gives you, and from the reaction we saw from not just Micah but everyone playing DE I think this is accurate of how Zimmer is coaching these guys to play it.
This dude AKOYE is flat-out wrong in basically alignment assignment football.

His whole disposition is DE = Edge contain, which is not true.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s almost as if the defenders don’t even have training camp and have zero clue what they’re doing.

I thought a veteran presence like Zimmer was supposed to get them playing disciplined football.

Just pathetic from players to coaches.

Stardog

Reaction score
Looks like Parsons is not attacking lamar he is waiting to chase him. Looked like lamar is standing there waiting and Parsons starts to go away from him and let’s lamar take off to the edge. Parsons should have came right towards him. We knew lamar would run the ball 8 or more times. Never really got to him. They had our Defense so confused. He only had to throw the ball 15 times. They ran it down our throats. And we knew ahead of time. This will be most teams plan.
I agree, the point I’m making is they are playing slow. Thinking to much

Nope. He has the C gap on the shoulder of the OT and J Lew has the edge. The instant 4 goes in motion, Lewis has the edge because he is uncovered - he has 0 reason to be 5 yards off the LOS at the snap. It is his responsbility to eat the block of the pulling TE and turn the play back inside to Micah. If you pause it at 16:03, Lewis should be at the LOS on the outside edge giving Lamar no gap to choose.

This AKOYE dude is completely wrong on how you are supposed to defend this, because the edge resets when the WR motions away.
I respectfully disagree 11 is supposed to be a pressure player on this play he looks lost either way you cut it. It’s on tape and pretty obvious he messed up on this play. The point still is they’re playing slow. They usually means they thinking to much and not just reacting. Whatever your responsibility is you gotta attack and not be on your heals.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This dude AKOYE is flat-out wrong in basically alignment assignment football.

His whole disposition is DE = Edge contain, which is not true.
Yeah I never heard of this dude before, but just skipping around this video a little bit it seems like he stuck in the same defensive mindset he was probably taught in the early 90s and didn't evolve with the game. Its not always the old school mindset especially at lower levels of the end keeps contain, force everything inside so those LBs can fill and make the play.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I agree, the point I’m making is they are playing slow. Thinking to much
Good or even solid defenses have assignments, play to those and fire aggressively. Obviously you will lose the play sometimes but the overall results should be competitive. No NFL defense should allow this many ball carriers virtually untouched for 5–7 yards. This is HIgh School level stuff.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree 11 is supposed to be a pressure player on this play he looks lost either way you cut it. It’s on tape and pretty obvious he messed up on this play. The point still is they’re playing slow. They usually means they thinking to much and not just reacting. Whatever your responsibility is you gotta attack and not be on your heals.
Ok fine but you are wrong.

Your argument is that 2 would be in the C gap lol

Stardog

Reaction score
Good or even solid defenses have assignments, play to those and fire aggressively. Obviously you will lose the play sometimes but the overall results should be competitive. No NFL defense should allow this many ball carriers virtually untouched for 5–7 yards. This is HIgh School level stuff.
Completely agree it’s like watching my son’s 8th grade football team play the option. Either way make a decision and pull the trigger.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Roger that! I guess it’s the defensive end job to get lost in space and make attack 18 down field. Have a great day.
He isn't lost in space lol. He has multiple gaps to defend.

You don't really know what you're watching.