Run defense - assignment football

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
On this play he didn’t get either of them and tackled Jackson for 12-15 yard gain. Either way he was wrong. Point is even when this D making mistakes they doing it slow. They look confused instead of hauling butt to a spot. Just my two cents.
I don't know which play, specifically, you are referring to - but you're almost certainly interpreting it wrong. If he has the RB assignment, then he has essentially done his job the second Lamar keeps it. It is impossible to say "he didn't get either" because only one gets the ball.

Stardog

Reaction score
I don't know which play, specifically, you are referring to - but you're almost certainly interpreting it wrong. If he has the RB assignment, then he has essentially done his job the second Lamar keeps it. It is impossible to say "he didn't get either" because only one gets the ball.
When he’s unblocked and nowhere near the running back or the quarterback I can guarantee he’s not in the right spot. If I see a reply I’ll post in here.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I believe this play shows the breakdowns or miscues occurring with this run defense. Not only are we short in talent in some areas. But guys aren't playing assignment football and doing their jobs. Micah referred to it as guys trying to be heroes or Superman. Im not saying it is easy but what im seeing here should not happen but it does continually with this defensive unit.

Below is just an example of what we're seeing on nearly every defensive series. The DL, LB and even the S are late to react to Lamar keeping the ball. The TE has no one to block until he's 7 yards downfield and Lamar glides in for the TD untouched. This is not to call any one particular player out because I honestly dont know who messed up here but I would have to believe someone had the assignment to stay with Lamar no matter what ESPECIALLY in the red zone when it's more likely he will keep it.

Parsons got fooled so many times yesterday....He should be shown the bench. Instead.....he's running his mouth....pointing fingers....to deflect blame. He's learned from the best....Jerry freaking Jones....he's managed to fool the masses for 30 years.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
When he’s unblocked and nowhere near the running back or the quarterback I can guarantee he’s not in the right spot. If I see a reply I’ll post in here.
That's not true. Again, I don't know what play you're talking about. But on the Lamar TD run for instance, all the QB is reading is his first step. The second the edge moves towards the A gap, it is a keeper. There is no reason for the edge to continue down the line when the QB keeps it.

This is why offensive scheme matters! You can have a defender be responsible and in the right place and then people think he's nowhere close to where he is supposed to be. You are making an argument for the offense, not an argument that Micah is not doing his job.

Stardog

Reaction score
That's not true. Again, I don't know what play you're talking about. But on the Lamar TD run for instance, all the QB is reading is his first step. The second the edge moves towards the A gap, it is a keeper. There is no reason for the edge to continue down the line when the QB keeps it.

This is why offensive scheme matters! You can have a defender be responsible and in the right place and then people think he's nowhere close to where he is supposed to be. You are making an argument for the offense, not an argument that Micah is not doing his job.
I get and respect what you’re saying but the ends didn’t have a good day. They played slow and it showed.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I get and respect what you’re saying but the ends didn’t have a good day. They played slow and it showed.
If your definition of playing fast requires crashing the A-gap and then catching Lamar on the edge then you have impossible expectations.

Stardog

Reaction score
If your definition of playing fast requires crashing the A-gap and then catching Lamar on the edge then you have impossible expectations.
No if he had the running back he should be squeezing down and in position to make a tackle on the rb (which he wasn’t). Had Lamar given it the rb still had plenty of room for at least a 4 yard gain. Playing slow means he was tentative and got caught in no man’s land. Again he wasn’t in position to tackle the running back or the quarterback so yes he was out of position

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Yes, overshown is way late to trigger to Lamar there. The play is schemed up fine - 13 has absolutely no reason to peak inside and immediately surrenders outside leverage by reacting late.

Here's another one, what on Earth is 6 doing???

Mazi actually absorbs 3 OL, the entire DL wins and sets edges, but 6 just goes freelancing for no reason and opens up a hole willingly.

DT has not been and still is not the biggest issue with this defense. It doesn't matter who is there if LB and S are not disciplined in their gap control.

This might be one of the plays where Broaddus was saying Mazi, while still having his issues, is starting to show little glimpses of playing better. Today is the day I would be swiping Rogers off of the Bengals PS or Siaki Ika off of the Browns PS - get younger in the trenches.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No if he had the running back he should be squeezing down and in position to make a tackle on the rb (which he wasn’t). Had Lamar given it the rb still had plenty of room for at least a 4 yard gain. Playing slow means he was tentative and got caught in no man’s land. Again he wasn’t in position to tackle the running back or the quarterback so yes he was out of position
False. The mesh point for the read is at the shotgun point ~5 yards in the backfield. Micah has probably b-gap responsibilities. He is well in position to make that play if the ball is handed off.

Stardog

Reaction score
False. The mesh point for the read is at the shotgun point ~5 yards in the backfield. Micah has probably b-gap responsibilities. He is well in position to make that play if the ball is handed off.
Doesn’t matter what I say you’re right. Even without knowing the play or play call. I know enough about football to know being 4 yards away from your responsibility it’s not a success. Have a great day

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter what I say you’re right. Even without knowing the play or play call. I know enough about football to know being 4 yards away from your responsibility it’s not a success. Have a great day
If you don't know the playcall, you don't know his responsibility, and you're making up 4 yards.

Stardog

Reaction score
If you don't know the playcall, you don't know his responsibility, and you're making up 4 yards.
Again he was 4 yards away from the running back and the quarterback and it was a 18 yard gain. I like Parson but he was out of position several plays. He wasn’t the only one.