Run game and Run defense

rambo2

Reaction score
They are only starters because there are no better offensive linemen on the team. Neither would start on most NFL teams. They drafted 2 offensive linemen that are going to have to start is more accurate.
Oh, is that it. Let's watch and find out.

conner01

Reaction score
If Mazi cant take that jump, then we're in huge trouble
I don’t think he’s ever gonna be a psss rush threat but if he can get get quicker off the snap he can help in the run game and made push the pocket some. The guys a freak of a athlete but needs a mean streak

Siroky

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong- tryon s strength was pass protection not run blocking and guyton strength as a rookie should be run blocking. Bias was technically sounds but not a dominant power center- where as if Bebe is sound he is a powerful put you in the dirt player! Both fit a Zeke power up the middle style more than an open a hole outside for a slowed down post injury pollard. I would still like to see a post cut rb pick up , but I can see this years run game being much better than last years.

Siroky

Reaction score
Defensely if we stay with a primary 4/3 defense then it’s all up to Mazis 2 nd year jump. Personally Im begging to see mazi dlaw and kneeland at 3/4 dline. And some combination of parsons at the LT linebacker position: Kendrick, clark, and overshown! I believe that will better an upgraded run defense-

Praxit

Reaction score
Ok, I see the usual posters out there thinking this year is gonna be different. They're also same ones who say Dallas had an early playoff exit because of lack of run game and run defense.

My question is what did we do to improve the run game? Zeke averaged 3.5 ypc last season, Tyron Smith was second team all pro, I doubt Guyton matches that. Beebes we all hope to be an upgrade, but still a position he has never played.

Run defense, Dlaw is our only proven run stopper. Mazi, Kneeland, Williams are just a situation where we cross our fingers and hope they work out.
Parsons is our best linebacker, Kendricks is on a one year deal. Overshown , Clark, and Liufau are another hope and prayer situation.

So again, how did we improve those weaknesses that y'all say was the reason for the early playoff exit?
..its going to be tough for sure. More like patchwork. Trying different things.

We lost so many on defense. I really dont know how its going to pan out.

We trust that Zimmer has seen this before and will create best situations for everyone.

On run game, we need guys to block well. They did get a few, so it looks promising.

Zeke can just run ahead, use his muscle weight hopefully avg 5 ypc. Dowdle would also benefit. Will see.

shabazz

Reaction score
"I'll take, Two things the Cowboys have struggled with for $300, Alex"

Browns were top 6 in both.....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ok, I see the usual posters out there thinking this year is gonna be different. They're also same ones who say Dallas had an early playoff exit because of lack of run game and run defense.

My question is what did we do to improve the run game? Zeke averaged 3.5 ypc last season, Tyron Smith was second team all pro, I doubt Guyton matches that. Beebes we all hope to be an upgrade, but still a position he has never played.

Run defense, Dlaw is our only proven run stopper. Mazi, Kneeland, Williams are just a situation where we cross our fingers and hope they work out.
Parsons is our best linebacker, Kendricks is on a one year deal. Overshown , Clark, and Liufau are another hope and prayer situation.

So again, how did we improve those weaknesses that y'all say was the reason for the early playoff exit?
Hopefully Beebe adjusts quickly and is a force up the middle. Steele should be back to normal this year. If we are not opening holes, not sure if it matters much who is trying to run through them.

quickccc

Reaction score
So far Beebe is a big upgrade and Steele will be another year from his ACL. Schoon will be improved. Hopefully Big Mike will get a much better run scheme than last year. Since the season opener is still 4 months away, there could be more improvements coming.

The big thing is the running game scheme. It was just awful last year.
Yeah ,.. " hopeful " big upgrade. He's yet to play an NFL game, much less start, and he's learning a new position at the NFL level.
With shot gun snaps, hot blitz read audibles, DL twists/stunts. etc.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah ,.. " hopeful " big upgrade. He's yet to play an NFL game, much less start, and he's learning a new position at the NFL level.
With shot gun snaps, hot blitz read audibles, DL twists/stunts. etc.
He won't be bill rushed that's for sure.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I can see what the hope might be in the run game. Pollard was a square peg in a round hole last year. We wanted to run up the middle, but that's not his game. Both Elliott and Freeman are pounders ... and not good for much else. We also drafted in such a way that the middle of the line could be power by taking Guyton (allowing Smith to possibly stay at guard) and drafting a mauling guard and projecting him at center. The run game may not be better averagewise, but it might be more effective because of the push and power up the middle. Last year, we had too many plays IMO where we failed to gain enough yards on a run to keep the run a threat. Second-and-10, -9 or 8- is generally going to be a pass play. Second-and-7 can go either way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think a big part of the run defense improvement is a matter of scheme. Quinn sacrificed run defense for pressure. He used movement to try to create penetration advantages, but when you stunt a lot, it makes it easier for the offense to use your momentum against you. When you play safeties a lot as linebackers, you get less take-on ability in your front seven. I expect Zimmer to play Mazi more as a traditional 1-tech, which should get him back to what he knows and I expect him to use three actual linebackers on early downs, with Parsons, Kendricks and either Overshown or Clark out there. He likes to use the Double A gap blitz package, and that can be effective against the run and pass if used right (and Zimmer is pretty good at that one).

Not saying scheme is going to fix all the flaws. We have some personnel questions that I'm not sure scheme can fix.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Run game does not always improve instantly from good drafting. Rookies usually need time to mature. But we've acquired some solid help for our OL, and I think it will begin to prove itself this season, but by the 2025 season I have little doubt our run blocking will definitely improve. Run defense? well we'll have to wait and see what happens. We drafted what I believe will be a good 1 tech for a change, we'll have to wait and see what Zim can do with Mazi. LBs should be improved over last year.
They haven't played a single game yet, they'll need a little time to show up.

75boyz

Reaction score
Oh you finally have something realistic to say. Yes, the crap OL coach is still here and it’s a massive problem.
Yep.
Coaching matters.
Solari sucks.
See my post(#23)on ArtClink's Cowboys ranked 21st oline OP.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most important down for our offense next year will probably be first down. Why? Because the key to making drives work is avoiding 3rd and long. Third down conversion %’s will rise in direct proportion to how far the third down distance is going to be.

For example, if on first down, Zeke rushes for 1 yard, 2nd down becomes critical to avoid a 3rd and long situation. On the other hand, a successful 1st down makes a successful drive much more likely.

I know that’s a “duh” situation but how many times have we seen this running game get stuffed on first down? It’s like a throwaway down when you don’t have a serious running game. Which is exactly why I’m very concerned about the lack of RB talent on this roster at the moment. Zeke may be ok in short yardage situations but he won’t be a threat to break a long one. Nor do I see any other RB on this roster that scares a defense.

If there is no home run threat back there, defenses will be encouraged to stack the box, which puts even more pressure on the passing game. Complimentary football is so critical in the modern game and as our roster sits right now, it’s hard to feel confident that our run game is a weapon.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think they improved in either area. Too many ifs. If Steele returns to his 2022 form. If Guyton is a stud. If Beebe plays great his rookie season. If Zeke hasn;t slipped a little more a year later. If Zack Martin returns to form after a slightly down year. If Schoonmaker learns to block. If the WRs get better blocking the edges. Some of these things may happen, but I suspect most will not.

Same thing on defense. If Mazi get better. This is a huge if. If Overshown is as good as the hype from last year. If Damone Clark improves. If Kendricks has anything left in the gas tank. I think these are all big ifs.

How much more clear can it be? The Cowboys did basically nothing in the offseason to improve this team. It will take an immense amount of luck for them to be an improved team.

And can we please stop claiming our draft picks are the reason we will be better? Every team in the NFL has draft picks. If they automatically make a team better then every team got better, not just the Cowboys. In fact, with all the other teams in the NFCE picking before Dallas, they should have improved even more than Dallas,, right? Draft picks are unknowns. Some work out, some not so much. We have yet to find out about any of them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they improved in either area. Too many ifs. If Steele returns to his 2022 form. If Guyton is a stud. If Beebe plays great his rookie season. If Zeke hasn;t slipped a little more a year later. If Zack Martin returns to form after a slightly down year. If Schoonmaker learns to block. If the WRs get better blocking the edges. Some of these things may happen, but I suspect most will not.

Same thing on defense. If Mazi get better. This is a huge if. If Overshown is as good as the hype from last year. If Damone Clark improves. If Kendricks has anything left in the gas tank. I think these are all big ifs.

How much more clear can it be? The Cowboys did basically nothing in the offseason to improve this team. It will take an immense amount of luck for them to be an improved team.

And can we please stop claiming our draft picks are the reason we will be better? Every team in the NFL has draft picks. If they automatically make a team better then every team got better, not just the Cowboys. In fact, with all the other teams in the NFCE picking before Dallas, they should have improved even more than Dallas,, right? Draft picks are unknowns. Some work out, some not so much. We have yet to find out about any of them.
Any time your team is counting on multiple rookies to fix a real problem immediately, it becomes a dice roll. Can we be better at running the ball AND stopping the run? Dice rolls are not confidence builders.

We are going to be dependent on two rookies on the OL. On defense we are going to be dependent upon a 32 year old LB in Kendricks at the end of his career, a 23 year old Overshown coming off a very serious knee injury, a 22 year old rookie 2nd round DE who is raw and has great upside but has never played a down of NFL football.

Unless I’m wearing rose colored fan glasses and sipping blue kool aid, that scenario does not breed confidence. Some of those rookies will develop but it likely won’t be immediate.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

In my original thread about this subject, Cowboys have made improvements to help these areas, but it's still very much a work in progress:

-I disagree regarding Tyron as his impact was more as a pass protector then a run defender at this stage. Him in and out of the lineup also affected continuity.
-Starting running back remains a big question mark, but you are discussing the wrong back, it's Dowdle who will be their starter if nobody is brought in. Dowdle did show some flashes last season, but he has big durability concerns. Zeke was brought in to spell him and improve our short yardage/red zone issues.
-OL had to get more stronger and more athletic, they brought in several prospects they can help them down the line.

-As for defense, huge question marks at both the Defensive Tackle positions, but outside runs to the weakside were also an issue. Many believe Kneeland will be our run down DE and Parsons off the ball, this should improve this weakness, but the interior at both DT/LB remains big problem areas. Kendricks is a quality veteran, but he is better in coverage then against the run at this stage. Zimmer's more disiplined scheme should keep everyone in the right positions, where Quinn ran a ton of twists/stunts that opened up huge running lanes.

Fixing the trenches is going to take more then 1 draft class, 1 offseason to fix. There are still plenty of holes, but they are moving in the right direction to fix both areas.