Running wing T formation

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I have seen this formation run in both high school and college football,and seen it work successfully,I think it would work in the pro game as well

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have potential personnel to run it well. I am guessing Deuce Vaughn's addition slots him at the wing?

My guess would be the formation going left more times than right. The tackle must pull and block an inside linebacker on run plays up the middle. At this stage, I would want Tyler Smith pulling inside than Tyron Smith.

It's an explosive run formation. Both Vaughn and Tony Pollard could feast off it if executed well.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Their is so much you could do out of this formation you could run the fullback in short yardage, you could pass to the fullback.You could have multiple blockers on a run play.You could simply use this formation as a disguise,and throw to the TE or WR. I watched West Virginia and Oklahoma play,and wvu would won the game but they quit running the wing T and Oklahoma won the game. I talking about just wrincles of it from time to time

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
To run the Wing-T, you need linemen that can pull, stay disciplined, and create fake lanes, or dummy lanes, for runners to confuse the defense. The o-line is the most important component on this type of offense. You also need a QB that is smart and can run and one, preferably two running threats along with the QB. One of the backs should be a superior blocker. This is also not the type of offense to run if the team falls behind by 10 or more points.

Well, Kansas City did win the SB in 1970 mostly running this offense, so you can win the big game I suppose.

Toro9

Reaction score
I don't watch school ball so I'm totally unfamiliar with this formation. Looks like it'd be fun though!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What would some of you long time Cowboys fans think about,running some wing T formation, we have the right personnel to run it here and there.Tell me what you guys think about this.
It all comes down to our Oline. One needs a good run blocking Oline to run some wing T offensive plays.

Flamma

Reaction score
I had to look it up. It looks like the Pro-set with a minor alteration.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I just think it would confuse a defense,because you simply do not know where the ball is going,Ad some speed and quickness and the sky is the limit.

McMicah

Reaction score
Honestly I could see them using this and that ultra heavy TE set they used so well last year and then inexplicably stopped using altogether. With someone like Hendershot as the wing back, you could motion from a goal line looking setup to wing T and make life terrible for defenses. I wish we had a Kyle Pitts or something for this