Running wing T formation

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be interested to hear @Ranching opinion. I’m guessing it’s not run in the NFL because players and coaching are just too good.
Too much banging on millionaires RBs. You would need to carry at least one more RB.....plus, it won't sell tickets. It would be a great short yardage offense. Run them onto the field, no huddle and quick count......defense won't be able to adjust.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
What would some of you long time Cowboys fans think about,running some wing T formation, we have the right personnel to run it here and there.Tell me what you guys think about this.
I would use archaic plays for 2 point try attempts. Wishbone, T, old time college option, etc. All of these plays can work for a 2 pointer, but I would not feature them in my offense.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This is a passing league. Enough said.

The game has evolved to where it is for a reason. There isnt a formation or scheme that hasn't been evaluated or seen.

You either have a good/great QB or a top two scoring defense. Without either, you watch football and not play it come Jan.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I expect we'll see some of this. Not as a base, but this is a kind of formation that you can motion from, add either back to the TE, slot, or FB position. You can also motion those guys back to the T formation. I'm hoping and expecting to see things like that this year. Maybe a few handoffs to Lamb form the RB spot,etc.

Expect we'll see some single wing...

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Here is the thing that frustrates me about this stuff...

I was born in 1980...grew up in the 90s with football...

All the talk back then was that gimmick football cant be run in the NFL...yet all that stuff back then is being used today. I get that there is a burn in period with experimenting with high school and college before implementing in the big leagues...

But if it makes sense with our personnel...try it. Maybe not go all in on it...but try it.

I remember being in my late teens and early 20s and being told Urban Meyers style was too extreme for NFL and it wouldnt work. Maybe he didnt succeed in the NFL...but being different doesnt always mean it cant succeed. Which is why coaches are now going for it on 4th and 3 unlike 90's where is was considered "stupid" or "crazy"

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here is the thing that frustrates me about this stuff...

I was born in 1980...grew up in the 90s with football...

All the talk back then was that gimmick football cant be run in the NFL...yet all that stuff back then is being used today. I get that there is a burn in period with experimenting with high school and college before implementing in the big leagues...

But if it makes sense with our personnel...try it. Maybe not go all in on it...but try it.

I remember being in my late teens and early 20s and being told Urban Meyers style was too extreme for NFL and it wouldnt work. Maybe he didnt succeed in the NFL...but being different doesnt always mean it cant succeed. Which is why coaches are now going for it on 4th and 3 unlike 90's where is was considered "stupid" or "crazy"
get your point but the NFL is big boys league Meyers, Chip kelly, Nick Saban, and Petrino come straight to top of mind as had great college success got sent back as quickly as they came..using some gimmick formations in spots for situational ball is ok and would be surprise trying to make it as your identity, wont work. you have to mix it up nowadays keep it fresh or you get solved and beat back.

we saw tebow and much of the wildcat work in spots but once it was all they could do it got shut down quick..

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
get your point but the NFL is big boys league Meyers, Chip kelly, Nick Saban, and Petrino come straight to top of mind as had great college success got sent back as quickly as they came..using some gimmick formations in spots for situational ball is ok and would be surprise trying to make it as your identity, wont work. you have to mix it up nowadays keep it fresh or you get solved and beat back.

we saw tebow and much of the wildcat work in spots but once it was all they could do it got shut down quick..

To be fair, Chip Kelly’s uptempo zone read offense has absolutely permeated every single NFL playbook across the league, Dallas included. His problems had more to do with a lack of interpersonal and management skills than football savvy.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
What would some of you long time Cowboys fans think about,running some wing T formation, we have the right personnel to run it here and there.Tell me what you guys think about this.
Best team I saw run the Wing T and win with it for decades was the Grambling St. Tigers under Coach Eddie Robinson.

Only if Elliott returns or there is a like replacement, would the Wing T formation work. You need 2 very Good RBs, a FB, and a Wing that receive the ball.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best team I saw run the Wing T and win with it for decades was the Grambling St. Tigers under Coach Eddie Robinson.

Only if Elliott returns or there is a like replacement, would the Wing T formation work. You need 2 very Good RBs, a FB, and a Wing that receive the ball.
I gave a like for mentioning my mother's alma mater. :thumbup:

GMO415

Reaction score
In a WCO you'd think we would see this formation several times a game.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Seems odd to consider a modern pro team running an offense we ran in high school in the late 70's... but why not.
Hey Landry brought back the shotgun from the medieval times and it revolutionized the game as it is now. Why not, what is done so far has not worked or at least brought much playoff success.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their is so much you could do out of this formation you could run the fullback in short yardage, you could pass to the fullback.You could have multiple blockers on a run play.You could simply use this formation as a disguise,and throw to the TE or WR. I watched West Virginia and Oklahoma play,and wvu would won the game but they quit running the wing T and Oklahoma won the game. I talking about just wrincles of it from time to time
Yep, the trick is to have different ball carriers in the same formation. They have been too predictable recently. Not knowing who is getting the ball and where the runner is going is a huge advantage

jrumann59

Reaction score
There is reason why run heavy offenses were part of HS and to some degree college ball for so long. In HS it was rare to find a guy that could actually pass the ball so teams were 70-80% run plays also usually HS QBs if they were good usually only started 2 years and most HS coaches always tried to get the taller kids to play WR and QB. In the late 90s teams in HS started evolving but really it just became a QB option offenses from more a spread look but still had 70-80% run just the QB was now smaller more athletic and more a RB than a QB. Wing T would work if used sparingly like 3-4 plays a game but most NFL DCs would know how to beat it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My old high school team used that formation much longer ago than I'd care to admit. It worked well for us back then. Modern college and pro teams, not so much any more. There's this thing called passing now that has proven to be somewhat more dynamic in scoring results. ;)

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My old high school team used that formation much longer ago than I'd care to admit. It worked well for us back then. Modern college and pro teams, not so much any more. There's this thing called passing now that has proven to be more dynamic in scoring results. ;)
Yep, it doesn't work well for teams that normally throw deep routes.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
This is the dumbest thread I've read on here.

"HEY guys...what if we ran the ole Fumblerooski every play? That would certainly confuse teams. Golly gee!"

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
It only works if you have 2 very different RB's (A big boi and a speedy guy) and a FB who is a blocking TE.