Russia invades Ukraine *** READ RULES IN POST 6 BEFORE POSTING ***

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Despite the numerous reports attesting to the Russian army's incompetence, etc., I have a hard time believing such reports. I spent quite a bit of time in the FSU and have had the opportunity to view Russian military exercises. Yes, I know that exercises are one thing and an actual war is quite a different matter. Nonetheless, it seems a bit like wishful thinking to believe the Russian military is this overtly bad. Hopefully, I am wrong

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Despite the numerous reports attesting to the Russian army's incompetence, etc., I have a hard time believing such reports. I spent quite a bit of time in the FSU and have had the opportunity to view Russian military exercises. Yes, I know that exercises are one thing and an actual war is quite a different matter. Nonetheless, it seems a bit like wishful thinking to believe the Russian military is this overtly bad. Hopefully, I am wrong

Yes, it is hard to for me to believe the Russian military is this bad too.

But the facts say otherwise, particularly the number of Russian generals who have been killed and the incompetent logistics which have been well-documented.

Those are strong indications of a floundering military.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are other factors to consider.

It is difficult fighting in urban and rural guerilla warfare situations against people who are capable and willing to do whatever they have to do to save their country.

You add to that an endless supply of AA weapons, intelligence and other help Western countries have provided to Ukraine and suddenly it is not so surprising that Russia (or any invading force) has struggled.

It also looks like Russia sent in a lot of young and likely inexperienced soldiers thinking experienced officers could compensate, but when the war lasted longer than a few days, it started becoming a real issue.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It also looks like Russia sent in a lot of young and likely inexperienced soldiers thinking experienced officers could compensate, but when the war lasted longer than a few days, it started becoming a real issue.

This seems to be a major issue... coupled with a lack of senior NCOs and they appear to be lacking field leadership

joseephuss

Reaction score

It is difficult fighting in urban and rural guerilla warfare situations against people who are capable and willing to do whatever they have to do to save their country.

You add to that an endless supply of AA weapons, intelligence and other help Western countries have provided to Ukraine and suddenly it is not so surprising that Russia (or any invading force) has struggled.

One thing I heard is that Russia may have gone in thinking that many Ukrainians would be on their side or at least stay out of the way, but there is far more willing to resist than expected.

shabazz

Reaction score

….it’s propaganda from Ukraine and NATO. They have no way of knowing actual casualties inflicted.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Latest update from the United Kingdom Ministry of Defense. This is consistent with Russia culminating and realizing they lack the capability of taking Kyiv. This is further evidence that the Russian losses are heavy indeed.

shabazz

Reaction score
Latest update from the United Kingdom Ministry of Defense. This is consistent with Russia culminating and realizing they lack the capability of taking Kyiv. This is further evidence that the Russian losses are heavy indeed.

The Russians lost over 10 Million soldiers in WW2 while the American lost 400k. Even if the numbers from NATO and the Ukraine are even remotely close, it will have zero impact on the future decisions made by the KGB Murderer.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Russians lost over 10 Million soldiers in WW2 while the American lost 400k. Even if the numbers from NATO and the Ukraine are even remotely close, it will have zero impact on the future decisions made by the KGB Murderer.

It’s already having an impact, which is why Russia is abandoning their attempt to take Kyiv. They lack the manpower needed to encircle the city.

Russia’s current army is a tiny fraction the size it was in WWII, partly due to Russia’s declining population, which decreased 997,000 between October 2020 and September 2021.

Good article on how Russia lacks the demographics needed for war.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/01/03/russia-demography-birthrate-decline-ukraine/

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's never a good sign for the aggressor army when it's on the exterior of a front and it has to pull back for any reason... Ground is certain to be given up if the defender has any resources to speak of.