Rusty's Rice Bowl Scouting Report

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl ..

which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

The game was between the Fujitsu Frontiers and the Panasonic Impulse. Fujitsu won 29-21 over the Impulse. There was a spot where the game was 22-21, but I suspect that was due to Fujitsu trying a 2 point conversion to make it 24-21. From what I saw, it looks as though the kickers made the XPs. The kicker for Fujitsu also drilled a field goal that had a ton of room. From what I googled, his name is Koji Nasho wearing number 5 (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). The other kicker is Shintaro Saeki (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/japan-2022-x1-super-all-x-league-teams-announced/).

He apparently was the All Star kicker from this year in Japan. I think bringing in those two and Yamasaki, who you've seen me prop up here before, to compete with Maher would be a very good thing. It'd allow us a chance to try them out to find who the best kicker is. I definitely think that we will end up with quite the find at kicker. Bear in mind, the Cowboys once fixed a kicking issue by getting Toni Fritsch from Austria, so this wouldn't be the first time that we looked abroad for kicking talent. I think it's time we do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwitten82

Reaction score
Grabbing a kicker from Japan, no NFL team would suspect it, that's kinda sneaky. Kinda like Pearl Harbor, that was a little sneaky, I think we can all be a little sneaky sometime.

Before anyone gets offended it was just a joke from South Park lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Grabbing a kicker from Japan, no NFL team would suspect it, that's kinda sneaky. Kinda like Pearl Harbor, that was a little sneaky, I think we can all be a little sneaky sometime.

Before anyone gets offended it was just a joke from South Park lol

Haha, that was a hilarious episode!! Well done. And yes, it's time for the Cowboys to be a bit sneaky haha. I think the answer to our kicking issues we've been having for a while is in Japan.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl (), which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

The game was between the Fujitsu Frontiers and the Panasonic Impulse. Fujitsu won 29-21 over the Impulse. There was a spot where the game was 22-21, but I suspect that was due to Fujitsu trying a 2 point conversion to make it 24-21. From what I saw, it looks as though the kickers made the XPs. The kicker for Fujitsu also drilled a field goal that had a ton of room. From what I googled, his name is Koji Nasho wearing number 5 (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). The other kicker is Shintaro Saeki (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/japan-2022-x1-super-all-x-league-teams-announced/).

He apparently was the All Star kicker from this year in Japan. I think bringing in those two and Yamasaki, who you've seen me prop up here before, to compete with Maher would be a very good thing. It'd allow us a chance to try them out to find who the best kicker is. I definitely think that we will end up with quite the find at kicker. Bear in mind, the Cowboys once fixed a kicking issue by getting Toni Fritsch from Austria, so this wouldn't be the first time that we looked abroad for kicking talent. I think it's time we do it again.

Dude - YOU are a football fan. Japanese X League? Holy ****!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dude - YOU are a football fan. Japanese X League? Holy ****!

Yup, hey, there's talent around the world. Just have to look for it haha. I enjoy their league. I've been keeping tabs on them for years, and I've been mentioning about their kickers on here for a while too. I do think that they have the potential to be an answer at kicker for us, especially if Jerry really wants to start over at kicker. Some of their kickers have insane legs. The kicker I've touted the longest hit a 73 yard bomb in 2020. They kick on grass, turf, and baseball fields. The third of which is the hardest to kick on, and they're blasting it through from long ranges. Don't look now, but they may be the solution.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl (), which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

Keep us posted!
:muttley:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I think you should try out!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Overseas player gets an exemption?
Waive Alarcon, he's not good.
Sorry dak attack

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Overseas player gets an exemption?
Waive Alarcon, he's not good.
Sorry dak attack
Or perhaps sign Alacron to the actual 53 (or cut haha) and bring in one of these kickers for tryouts. Besides, the Falcons have a kicker from South Korea who's been money. The kickers I see frequently in the Japanese League look just as good or better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Or perhaps sign Alacron to the actual 53 (or cut haha) and bring in one of these kickers for tryouts. Besides, the Falcons have a kicker from South Korea who's been money. The kickers I see frequently in the Japanese League look just as good or better.
Alercon looked terrible last preseason.
I think you only get one exemption per team

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Good find Rusty, sounds like we are going to need a new kicker since Jerry said we are starting over there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is awesome. Number 5 has some game.

That he does, and number 5 the kicker for Panasonic has a cannon of a leg from what I saw. I think Dan Quinn would drool over the speed and toughness of the Dline that these teams have.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Alercon looked terrible last preseason.
I think you only get one exemption per team

In that case, them sign them up haha. Have one for regular duties, and the other on the PS.

Good find Rusty, sounds like we are going to need a new kicker since Jerry said we are starting over there.

Yup, and I've been beating the drum of their kickers for a long time. I hope this is the year Jerry finally concurs with my assessment. I should note that the quality of football has drastically improved from what I saw in 2014 when I started watching them. Panasonic ran the Philly Special during that game for example. I think we might have a secret well to draw players from if Jerry gets some scouts over to Japan.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is awesome. Number 5 has some game.

I should note that, unlike the CFL, the Japanese X-League has strict rules on foreign players. Only 4 foreigners are allowed to be on the field for each team, which is up from 2, at the same time. So, the vast majority of the team is from Japan. Typically, the skill positions like QB (though, Fujitsu's QBs are Japanese from what I've researched), RB, and WR are where you'll usually find most of the foreigners playing. The rest of the team is Japanese. So it's not diluted like the CFL with being half American. This is a league meant for the Japanese players and fans, that occasionally some random other fans might happen to know about. It's a hidden gem for American Football.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Yup, hey, there's talent around the world. Just have to look for it haha. I enjoy their league. I've been keeping tabs on them for years, and I've been mentioning about their kickers on here for a while too. I do think that they have the potential to be an answer at kicker for us, especially if Jerry really wants to start over at kicker. Some of their kickers have insane legs. The kicker I've touted the longest hit a 73 yard bomb in 2020. They kick on grass, turf, and baseball fields. The third of which is the hardest to kick on, and they're blasting it through from long ranges. Don't look now, but they may be the solution.
How much worse could the Cowboys do trying a Japanese kicker? I’m game.