Rusty's Rice Bowl Scouting Report

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yup, and he changed the dynamic of the Cowboys kicking. Why not try it again? Any of these 3 kickers I've mentioned could be the answer we've been looking for to find.
Yeah, I'd be all for giving it a try, if possible. See if the best ones are willing to come to the US for a tryout. It would be totally up to them, of course. If they got the job, it would mean living in a foreign country away from family (unless you brought them). It would be a big change, but they would also be earning really good money.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be all for giving it a try, if possible. See if the best ones are willing to come to the US for a tryout. It would be totally up to them, of course. If they got the job, it would mean living in a foreign country away from family (unless you brought them). It would be a big change, but they would also be earning really good money.

I mean, let's face it. The Mlb has a lot of pitchers doing the same thing. So, why would it be different? Not to mention they'd be making insane amounts of money just from kicking the football. Plus, given their tenacity, I'd imagine that they could end up being the best kickers we've ever had. Not to mention that we also found a possible WR option too who is much taller than I expected in Matsui. I think Dak would LOVE him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I mean, let's face it. The Mlb has a lot of pitchers doing the same thing. So, why would it be different? Not to mention they'd be making insane amounts of money just from kicking the football. Plus, given their tenacity, I'd imagine that they could end up being the best kickers we've ever had. Not to mention that we also found a possible WR option too who is much taller than I expected in Matsui. I think Dak would LOVE him.
Yeah, whatever works. If someone from Japan can help this team to win, then go for it. They would be welcome here if they decide to do it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, whatever works. If someone from Japan can help this team to win, then go for it. They would be welcome here if they decide to do it.

Exactly, I just hope Jerry picks up what we are seeing in that video. There's nothing wrong with looking internationally for talent, especially if it can help us win a Super Bowl. In this case, I think there are at least 3-4 players on those squads that, if I were a Cowboys scout, I'd be getting scouting reports on and putting them on Mike McCarthy's desk for camp invite possibilities. Number 90 and Saeki for Panasonic Impulse. For Fujitsu, I'd have their kicker and Matsui. They could be worthwhile invites. I loved how quickly 90 for Panasonic got to the QB. Unfortunately, Panasonic doesn't have a website for their team. I'd love to find out who he is. Quinn would love him.

csirl

Reaction score
Japanese league plays a good standard of football. Worth scouting.

There used to be an annual game between the Japanese and German champions with the winner being regarded as the best team in the world outside North America.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Japanese league plays a good standard of football. Worth scouting.

There used to be an annual game between the Japanese and German champions with the winner being regarded as the best team in the world outside North America.

I do know about that game, and the Japanese often play that game well. It's not uncommon for them to win those tournaments. For a country that is not known for American Football, they have some surprisingly good abilities. I mean, just in that game alone, I found at least 4 players that I think could be flagged as having potential, and one of them is a young tall WR (tbf, @Hardline found him) who I think Dak would love to have with the WCO we want to run.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've found another player that I like from Fujitsu.

https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players/kazuki-kimura

Fujitsu players Kazuki Kimura who wears number 22. I watched the replay of his jet sweep again. He's shifty, and he even talks in his profile about his RAC and his quickness being strengths of his. I don't know his measurables, but he's got a nice fluid running motion when he's got the ball. I would love to see what he does on kick returns. Turpin might be in trouble.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good or better than Dak?

Probably not a long term starter solution, but number 18 Tsubasa Takagi, who's 30, could be an interesting backup QB choice. He's tough, and I've seen him in videos from that team before. He's got a pretty good arm. Like Matsui WR 85, he's about 6'7, and he's about 194.

https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players/tsubasa-takagi

Perhaps not the best weight for an NFL QB, but he makes up for it with his height. I could see him pushing for a possible 2nd string or 3rd string option.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Exactly, I just hope Jerry picks up what we are seeing in that video. There's nothing wrong with looking internationally for talent, especially if it can help us win a Super Bowl. In this case, I think there are at least 3-4 players on those squads that, if I were a Cowboys scout, I'd be getting scouting reports on and putting them on Mike McCarthy's desk for camp invite possibilities. Number 90 and Saeki for Panasonic Impulse. For Fujitsu, I'd have their kicker and Matsui. They could be worthwhile invites. I loved how quickly 90 for Panasonic got to the QB. Unfortunately, Panasonic doesn't have a website for their team. I'd love to find out who he is. Quinn would love him.
One important thing would be how good a player's English is. It would be less important for the kicker. Tony Fritsch's English was lousy. But for any other position it would be really important. Everyone in Japan learns English in school, but, like anything, some people get better at it than others. You can find people from Japan whose English is outstanding, but there are others who struggle with it. Of course, you could always get language instruction for them. They may have done that with Fritsch.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Rusty, I find this interesting. I lived in Japan for a few years, and the biggest question I would have for any kicker coming out of North America is what types of conditions have they kicked in prior.

As we all know we have some unique conditions that we accept as being part of the NFL experience. Cold, snowy weather with a stiff side wind off of frozen turf.

There are lots of big legs out there. It's trying to find the players that mentally resilient enough to overcome all the distracting variables and consistently kick at a high level of performance.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
One important thing would be how good a player's English is. It would be less important for the kicker. Tony Fritsch's English was lousy. But for any other position it would be really important. Everyone in Japan learns English in school, but, like anything, some people get better at it than others. You can find people from Japan whose English is outstanding, but there are others who struggle with it. Of course, you could always get language instruction for them. They may have done that with Fritsch.

Oh, for sure. Then again, I know in baseball, they usually have translators on staff to help with instructions. Though, I also have some Japanese friends who speak very good English, and, like you said, they do learn English in school. That said, hiring a translator or adjusting the verbage if we have a WR from Japan to a word or phrase that he'd understand would help. Plus, it could be beneficial for the team in the sense that Dak would have to learn a few Japanese words that would slip under the radar for defences, but a WR like Matsui would understand what that cadence means. So, it could work to our advantage having that situation.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Rusty, I find this interesting. I lived in Japan for a few years, and the biggest question I would have for any kicker coming out of North America is what types of conditions have they kicked in prior.

As we all know we have some unique conditions that we accept as being part of the NFL experience. Cold, snowy weather with a stiff side wind off of frozen turf.

There are lots of big legs out there. It's trying to find the players that mentally resilient enough to overcome all the distracting variables and consistently kick at a high level of performance.

Well, I'd say if the conditions are a question, then the kickers from Japan, imo, would have an advantage actually. They frequently kick on stadiums that are shared by baseball, and so they're often kicking off of the baseball dirt and on a baseball field. That's a hard environment to kick from, and they're blasting kicks even with that. I haven't been to Japan, but I do know that they do get similar winter conditions to most places, and I watched a game on YouTube where they were playing in torrential rains on a baseball field, and the kickers were still drilling kicks. The kickers I've identified are usually among the best that Japan has. So, I think that it's logical to suggest that they've done well in less than ideal field conditions. If given say ATT stadium fields, they'd be even better. Give them a kick late in Philly in December, and they're probably well able to do that. So, I have no concerns about their ability to perform in less than ideal weather. I'd be excited to see how they perform in a try out. I think the best thing is to have them kicking against say Maher or another kicker. Let the best man win. I have a hunch one of the Japanese kickers would win though from what I've seen.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I have a hunch one of the Japanese kickers would win though from what I've seen.
One of the advantages they would have is if they don't speak the language then they wouldn't know what the media and fans are saying about them.

Being totally oblivious to what American and Dallas media and social media would be an advantage in my eyes.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl (), which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

The game was between the Fujitsu Frontiers and the Panasonic Impulse. Fujitsu won 29-21 over the Impulse. There was a spot where the game was 22-21, but I suspect that was due to Fujitsu trying a 2 point conversion to make it 24-21. From what I saw, it looks as though the kickers made the XPs. The kicker for Fujitsu also drilled a field goal that had a ton of room. From what I googled, his name is Koji Nasho wearing number 5 (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). The other kicker is Shintaro Saeki (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/japan-2022-x1-super-all-x-league-teams-announced/).

He apparently was the All Star kicker from this year in Japan. I think bringing in those two and Yamasaki, who you've seen me prop up here before, to compete with Maher would be a very good thing. It'd allow us a chance to try them out to find who the best kicker is. I definitely think that we will end up with quite the find at kicker. Bear in mind, the Cowboys once fixed a kicking issue by getting Toni Fritsch from Austria, so this wouldn't be the first time that we looked abroad for kicking talent. I think it's time we do it again.

素晴らしい発見

Maybe someone as good as Kaoru Mitoma:)