Rusty's Rice Bowl Scouting Report

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
One of the advantages they would have is if they don't speak the language then they wouldn't know what the media and fans are saying about them.

Being totally oblivious to what American and Dallas media and social media would be an advantage in my eyes.

Exactly, so, I think it'd work well.

素晴らしい発見

Maybe someone as good as Kaoru Mitoma:)

ありがとうございます

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl (), which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

The game was between the Fujitsu Frontiers and the Panasonic Impulse. Fujitsu won 29-21 over the Impulse. There was a spot where the game was 22-21, but I suspect that was due to Fujitsu trying a 2 point conversion to make it 24-21. From what I saw, it looks as though the kickers made the XPs. The kicker for Fujitsu also drilled a field goal that had a ton of room. From what I googled, his name is Koji Nasho wearing number 5 (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). The other kicker is Shintaro Saeki (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/japan-2022-x1-super-all-x-league-teams-announced/).

He apparently was the All Star kicker from this year in Japan. I think bringing in those two and Yamasaki, who you've seen me prop up here before, to compete with Maher would be a very good thing. It'd allow us a chance to try them out to find who the best kicker is. I definitely think that we will end up with quite the find at kicker. Bear in mind, the Cowboys once fixed a kicking issue by getting Toni Fritsch from Austria, so this wouldn't be the first time that we looked abroad for kicking talent. I think it's time we do it again.

Japanese league's Super Bowl is called the Rice Bowl?.......... You sure you aint playin with us?

Next thing you gonna tell us the you follow the Italian League and they have the Pasta Bowl...

Or Mexican League and the Burrito Bowl...

Or Korean League and the Kimchi Bowl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Japanese league's Super Bowl is called the Rice Bowl?.......... You sure you aint playin with us?

Next thing you gonna tell us the you follow the Italian League and they have the Pasta Bowl...

Or Mexican League and the Burrito Bowl...

Or Korean League and the Kimchi Bowl.

That is seriously the name of the game lol. I couldn't make that up. It's literally in the title lol. But seriously, they're a good set of teams, and Stephen will like that they'll probably be the super special awesome blue light special.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That is seriously the name of the game lol. I couldn't make that up. It's literally in the title lol. But seriously, they're a good set of teams, and Stephen will like that they'll probably be the super special awesome blue light special.
I know Rusty - just messin' with ya. ;)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Stephen wants to know if he is willing to play for before scale and pay for his own parking at The Star?

They'd be special blue light specials because they'd be trying to be noticed in the NFL. I could see them being a blue light special and becoming solid players for us.

cowboyec

Reaction score
this reminds me of coach landry's kicking caravan.
very landry like,my friend.
hope wil mcclay sees this and goes and gets one.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Their Super Bowl is called the Rice Bowl? Seriously?

Haha, yes, it is. I can't make that up. They're the ones that called it that.

this reminds me of coach landry's kicking caravan.
very landry like,my friend.
hope wil mcclay sees this and goes and gets one.

I hope so too. It's possible that we could find our kicking solution. Plus, there might be a bonus at WR in Matsui, the 6'7" WR that @Hardline noticed. He wears #85 for Fujitsu (the red team). He looks like a WR that Dak would enjoy having as a target. He's tall, quick, and he gets open.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here's a player profile of Riki Matsui, number 85 https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players/riki-matsui. Something I've noticed is that the players have a profile at the bottom. What I've found is that he enjoys 1 v 1 situations on the goal line and making tough catches in tough situations. With his size, I can definitely see the advantage. I think we could use that. How nice would it be to have a 6'7" WR option for Dak to throw to at the goal line after faking it to Zeke? Goodness me, that'd be a handful to defend. First, having to make sure Zeke's not getting the ball, and then trying to cover a 6'7" WR with likely a linebacker. That's a ball that Matsui likely would win. Or, when there's a tough catch to be made, it's nice that Matsui has that ability as a strength too. I definitely think that, if given the chance, he'd be a serviceable WR. Especially in the WCO.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Oh, for sure. Then again, I know in baseball, they usually have translators on staff to help with instructions. Though, I also have some Japanese friends who speak very good English, and, like you said, they do learn English in school. That said, hiring a translator or adjusting the verbage if we have a WR from Japan to a word or phrase that he'd understand would help. Plus, it could be beneficial for the team in the sense that Dak would have to learn a few Japanese words that would slip under the radar for defences, but a WR like Matsui would understand what that cadence means. So, it could work to our advantage having that situation.
I help people from other countries online with their English. So far, every student from Japan I've worked with has been an incredibly hard worker. They decide to get better at English, and, man, do they ever commit to it. Sometimes I need to get them to just relax and have a conversation. It makes me think if we got a player whose English wasn't quite up to snuff, he would be on that problem and would take care of it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I help people from other countries online with their English. So far, every student from Japan I've worked with has been an incredibly hard worker. They decide to get better at English, and, man, do they ever commit to it. Sometimes I need to get them to just relax and have a conversation. It makes me think if we got a player whose English wasn't quite up to snuff, he would be on that problem and would take care of it.

Exactly, and so, the language barrier wouldn't be an issue. Not only that, but the kickers that have been identified here and Matsui would work incredibly hard for the coaches. I think those intangibles alone would help make them solid players for us. They've got the potential, and I think Mike McCarthy and Fassel are the coaches to build on that potential. They'd love to have the opportunity to play for the Cowboys, and they'd work hard to stay with the team. They might even inspire the rest of the team with how hard they'd work.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Exactly, and so, the language barrier wouldn't be an issue. Not only that, but the kickers that have been identified here and Matsui would work incredibly hard for the coaches. I think those intangibles alone would help make them solid players for us. They've got the potential, and I think Mike McCarthy and Fassel are the coaches to build on that potential. They'd love to have the opportunity to play for the Cowboys, and they'd work hard to stay with the team. They might even inspire the rest of the team with how hard they'd work.
I wouldn't say it will never be an issue, but they'll deal with it for sure. Even with them working hard to perfect English, there's always a chance they'll misunderstand something. There are also big cultural differences. They'll need to be debriefed on how we do things very differently in the United States than they do in Japan.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it will never be an issue, but they'll deal with it for sure. Even with them working hard to perfect English, there's always a chance they'll misunderstand something. There are also big cultural differences. They'll need to be debriefed on how we do things very differently in the United States than they do in Japan.

For sure, and that's where the translator would help, at least at first. But, I think they'd probably warm to the differences. Plus, they'd probably love the ability to show what they can do to one of if not the biggest names in American Football.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
For sure, and that's where the translator would help, at least at first. But, I think they'd probably warm to the differences. Plus, they'd probably love the ability to show what they can do to one of if not the biggest names in American Football.
One thing they'll need to be briefed on is dealing with fan unhappiness if you make a bad play. It's just part of the sport, and fans can be very vocal, sometimes unfairly so. Shame is a big thing in Japan. If you do a lousy job and get rebuked by the boss, there's much more shame in Japan than there is here. These guys will need to be taught to let mistakes roll off their backs and just refocus on the game. We can't have a player going into a shell of despair if he commits a PI penalty.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
One thing they'll need to be briefed on is dealing with fan unhappiness if you make a bad play. It's just part of the sport, and fans can be very vocal, sometimes unfairly so. Shame is a big thing in Japan. If you do a lousy job and get rebuked by the boss, there's much more shame in Japan than there is here. These guys will need to be taught to let mistakes roll off their backs and just refocus on the game. We can't have a player going into a shell of despair if he commits a PI penalty.

Exactly, and that's one thing that the coaches will have to help them understand that, sometimes, a bad play will happen, but it can be made up for with a great play the next time around.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Yamasaki went to the CFL and didn’t make it a season.

The quality of football isn’t close. A group of Ivy League all stars beat the X League all-stars.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but you guys are way over estimating these kids.

Riki Matsui the 6’7” WR that’s actually 6’ went to the international combine and his athletic profile is not good. He’s somewhat agile but he’s slow with poor explosiveness. Ran a 4.7 which is TE speed.

https://ras.football/2020/03/29/riki-matsui-ras/

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As many of you know by now, I've been keeping an eye on things with the Japanese X-League for a while now. I have especially had a keen interest in their kickers as they are the most likely, along with the punters, to make an NFL roster at this time. I first want to say, after watching this highlight video of the Rice Bowl ..

which is the Japanese version of the Super Bowl, they seem to be getting better and even more serious about American Football in Japan. Secondly, and most importantly for our discussion, I think we have some options at kicker from Japan if we wanted to have a tryout to see who is the best kicker between them and Maher. If you notice baseball field markings, the game was played in the Tokyo Dome, as is tradition for that League. It's not uncommon in Japan for stadiums to share sports, though, from what I've seen on Google Maps and highlights, they do have an American Football specific field near Haneda airport. Though, the Tokyo Dome is one of the largest stadiums in Japan, so they naturally get the big game in Japan. Anyway, back to my analysis.

The game was between the Fujitsu Frontiers and the Panasonic Impulse. Fujitsu won 29-21 over the Impulse. There was a spot where the game was 22-21, but I suspect that was due to Fujitsu trying a 2 point conversion to make it 24-21. From what I saw, it looks as though the kickers made the XPs. The kicker for Fujitsu also drilled a field goal that had a ton of room. From what I googled, his name is Koji Nasho wearing number 5 (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). The other kicker is Shintaro Saeki (https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/japan-2022-x1-super-all-x-league-teams-announced/).

He apparently was the All Star kicker from this year in Japan. I think bringing in those two and Yamasaki, who you've seen me prop up here before, to compete with Maher would be a very good thing. It'd allow us a chance to try them out to find who the best kicker is. I definitely think that we will end up with quite the find at kicker. Bear in mind, the Cowboys once fixed a kicking issue by getting Toni Fritsch from Austria, so this wouldn't be the first time that we looked abroad for kicking talent. I think it's time we do it again.

I want to see furry anime players!