Rut ROH ..

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.. Shaggy :)

I just had to chime in on the triplets getting into the ROH.

I loved watching the triplets play and everyone knows how much of an Emmitt supporter I have always been. That being said, I grew up watching Staubach, Dorsett, Hill and Pearson not to mention the awesome defensive players of the 70's and I am thoroughly disappointed that some of those players didn't get in before Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Don't get me wrong, Aikman, Smith and Irvin are all worthy of being in the ROH and may arguably be the top three of all ROH players. Even with Jerry mentioning that there is no "order" to who gets inducted into the ROH, to me it is still a major slap in the face that one of the triplets, Emmitt, who was a great player do doubt, just retired THIS YEAR and gets in while many other deserving players have to wait yet another year to see if the great and powerful Jones decides to grant them entrance.

I personally think this has more to do with Jerry's ego than anything. Jerry knows that after a bad season last year, the 4th in the last 5 years, fans think back about the glory days of the 70's and 90's and if he inducts any of the stars from the 70's, it will take focus off of HIS accomplishments. I have great respect for Jerry Jones, more so than most Cowboys fans, but this was a horrible decision.

That is just my opinion ...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Reality said:

I loved watching the triplets play and everyone knows how much of an Emmitt supporter I have always been. That being said, I grew up watching Staubach, Dorsett, Hill and Pearson not to mention the awesome defensive players of the 70's and I am thoroughly disappointed that some of those players didn't get in before Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Don't get me wrong, Aikman, Smith and Irvin are all worthy of being in the ROH and may arguably be the top three of all ROH players. Even with Jerry mentioning that there is no "order" to who gets inducted into the ROH, to me it is still a major slap in the face that one of the triplets, Emmitt, who was a great player do doubt, just retired THIS YEAR and gets in while many other deserving players have to wait yet another year to see if the great and powerful Jones decides to grant them entrance.

I personally think this has more to do with Jerry's ego than anything. Jerry knows that after a bad season last year, the 4th in the last 5 years, fans think back about the glory days of the 70's and 90's and if he inducts any of the stars from the 70's, it will take focus off of HIS accomplishments. I have great respect for Jerry Jones, more so than most Cowboys fans, but this was a horrible decision.

Reality, I can not say that I disagree with any part of your statement.

1fisher

Reaction score
Reality said:

didn't think about it from that perspective.....interesting point.

Boy, how I miss those 70's and early 90's :star:

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Reality said:

I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard it was the Trips... Jones is so worried about his ego, he was going to put the Trips in before any of the 70's greats of Landry's teams. Emmitt getting in so soon is definately a slap in the face of those that are worthy from the 70's. They deserve to be in the ROH but respect to the previous greats was in order and Jerry screwed up

joseephuss

Reaction score
Princess said:
I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard it was the Trips... Jones is so worried about his ego, he was going to put the Trips in before any of the 70's greats of Landry's teams. Emmitt getting in so soon is definately a slap in the face of those that are worthy from the 70's. They deserve to be in the ROH but respect to the previous greats was in order and Jerry screwed up

I bliever you all are on the right track. Jerry's ego has a lot and most to do with this.

I however have had this thought. By putting all three in, it increases their chances of getting into the Hall of Fame. They always say some Cowboys aren't deserving of the Hall because they aren't even members of the teams Ring of Honor. They can't use that excuse any more. Emmitt was a lock anyway, but we already saw Irvin not make it on his 1st try and it is possible that Aikman could get blocked this year. Why give the Hall voters more fuel? This give Troy and Michael a better chance of getting the Hall votes need to go in this next selection period. And if you are going to put Aikman and Irvin in the Ring, it just seems right to let Emmitt join them at the same time. Emmitt may have just retired, but he hasn't played in Dallas since 2002.

Edit:
Just wanted to add that I think there are several deserving players from the 70s that should be added. It is long overdue.

Dye

Reaction score
i have to agree - there are other deserving great cowboys who contributed to the organization's success in the 70s and early 80s.

jerry's angle could be that to get michael irvin into the hof next year, inducting him now would provide enough publicity to get him in. adding aikman and smith as a group substantiates to everyone that these three provided equal contribution to the cowboys dynasty.

i hope jerry does the right thing next year and inducts the rest of the guys who belong there as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Before Jerry bought the team 6 players were in the ROH since Jerry bought the team 8 players have been inducted and 3 more will enter this season to make it 11 players added to the Ring by Jerry. I think the world of Tom and Tex but they added only 6 players and do not get the grief Jerry gets over this issue.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Before Jerry bought the team 6 players were in the ROH since Jerry bought the team 8 players have been inducted and 3 more will enter this season to make it 11 players added to the Ring by Jerry. I think the world of Tom and Tex but they added only 6 players and do not get the grief Jerry gets over this issue.

Tom had nothing to do with it... that was all Tex...

Your point is taken, but Jerry had the opportunity to right the wrongs that Tex made for whatever his reasons were...

He's had 16 years to put in the original #88. The #88 that Irvin wanted to be.

Harvey Martin and Ed Jones should have been in long ago as well.

Take a look at his inductions:

Lee Roy Jordan: A direct message to Tex that he now ran this team.

Tom Landry: A no-brainer in respect to his deserving it and the great PR for Jerry.

Tony Dorsett: No-brainer he was already a HOF (blew that one)

Randy White: See above

Bob Hayes: Only considered when Hayes was near death and Jerry saw how much he meant to fans. Tex blew this one first.

Tex Schramm: No-brainer and only inducted after Tex had cooled a few years.

Wrayfield Wright: Only considered after he was nominated to the HOF

Cliff Harris: See above.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The big problem I have with the idea this was done to help Aikman and Irvin (which is very possible) to get into the HOF next time is that it's going to hurt the deserving Cowboys players from the 70's who should be in the HOF as well. Think about it, there is definitely a Cowboys bias out there right now among the HOF voters, so if they put Aikman and Irvin in this year, they can say, "What bias? We just added two Cowboys players in one year!"

Basically, I'm concerned this will lead to many more years of HOF inductees absent of any deserving Cowboys players from the 70's because the voters will now be able to throw out the Aikman, Irvin and eventually Emmitt inductions as examples of their "objectivity" when in reality, those three are shoe-ins.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Tom had nothing to do with it... that was all Tex...

Your point is taken, but Jerry had the opportunity to right the wrongs that Tex made for whatever his reasons were...

He's had 16 years to put in the original #88. The #88 that Irvin wanted to be.

Harvey Martin and Ed Jones should have been in long ago as well.

Take a look at his inductions:

Lee Roy Jordan: A direct message to Tex that he now ran this team.

Tom Landry: A no-brainer in respect to his deserving it and the great PR for Jerry.

Tony Dorsett: No-brainer he was already a HOF (blew that one)

Randy White: See above

Bob Hayes: Only considered when Hayes was near death and Jerry saw how much he meant to fans. Tex blew this one first.

Tex Schramm: No-brainer and only inducted after Tex had cooled a few years.

Wrayfield Wright: Only considered after he was nominated to the HOF

Cliff Harris: See above.

All I'm saying is Jerry has done more involving the ROH than what had taken place in the past. I don't have a problem with any of the players mentioned getting into the ROH and chances are some of those guys will some will not. I just think Jerry is many fans favorite whipping boy and think he gets some unfair criticism at times. As for players getting in the HOF based on the ROH sorry I don't think it has much to do with it, these sports writers have their own reasoning behind why they do what they do. Jerry could add every named mentioned around here of candidates to the ROH and I don't think that means a thing to the writers

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I have no problem with the Triplets going in this year together. I see Jerry's logic. Aikman will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this coming year and it will look bad if he's not even in the Ring, and this also could help Irvin's chances this year.

The problem is, these 1970s Cowboys should have been inducted a long time ago .... and yes, Tex Schramm deserves a lot of the blame.

It's natural for a guy running an NFL team to have a big ego. Tex had it. Jerry has it. But it's wrong when this ego becomes a manipulative device that screws with the history of a franchise. Jerry may own the Cowboys, but the history of the team belongs to all of us.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
All I'm saying is Jerry has done more involving the ROH than what had taken place in the past. I don't have a problem with any of the players mentioned getting into the ROH and chances are some of those guys will some will not. I just think Jerry is many fans favorite whipping boy and think he gets some unfair criticism at times. As for players getting in the HOF based on the ROH sorry I don't think it has much to do with it, these sports writers have their own reasoning behind why they do what they do. Jerry could add every named mentioned around here of candidates to the ROH and I don't think that means a thing to the writers

Well... the Dallas writers are a catty bunch of Nancy's for the most part. They make their living on trying to start internal conflict. They will never be satisfied with the organization.

Don't get me wrong DD101... I like Jerry... I like him alot as an owner (but not a GM). He DOES take unfair criticism. I'm just saying that he could do a bit more to get some old-timers in... that's all...

I'm just sayin'... ;)

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
If Jerry did do this to help the Trips into the HOF, I have one question...

Why didn't he put that energy into helping the guys from the 70's that are running out of time to be nominated and selected into the HOF? The Trips have time on their side, the the greats from the previous decades don't have that luxury anymore.....

Dye

Reaction score
completely in agreement with everyone's view that jerry should have pulled the trigger on the rest of the deserving guys well before irvin, aikman and smith.

on the flip side, last year when our trio of potential hof inductees were rejected on the last ballot, there was speculation that our guys not being first inducted into the rof could possibly have hurt their chances.

i'm speculating now, but i would think jerry is probably thinking he needs to induct these three now to ensure this doesn't happen again - especially to irvin.

however, why jerry's never bothered to put the other guys in is the question.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dye said:
completely in agreement with everyone's view that jerry should have pulled the trigger on the rest of the deserving guys well before irvin, aikman and smith.

on the flip side, last year when our trio of potential hof inductees were rejected on the last ballot, there was speculation that our guys not being first inducted into the rof could possibly have hurt their chances.

i'm speculating now, but i would think jerry is probably thinking he needs to induct these three now to ensure this doesn't happen again - especially to irvin.

however, why jerry's never bothered to put the other guys in is the question.

I like Drew Preason not sure if he will make the ROH, he played with Tony Hill and Hills numbers are better. Other guys Herbert Scott,
John Niland, Ralph Neely and Ed Jones should get consideration but I don't know if they will either

jman

Reaction score
Just a thought...When Jerry did or does something that went against the old regime, he took it in the nuts from fans. He will forever be the guy who fired Landry, although, Bum Bright ordered that samething the year before, but Tex didn't have the heart to do it. And now when he tries to keep with the exact idea that Tex had for the Ring of Honor, he's taking it in the nuts again.

Ladie and Gentleman, you can't have it both ways. There will be a time and place for everyone that deserves...maybe not who you think deserves to be in, but all the trully deserving will get in and it will still be a place for the exclusivily best of the best to be honored.

Jerry did the right think by putting the Triplets in at the same time. That's the way it should always be.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
jman said:
Just a thought...When Jerry did or does something that went against the old regime, he took it in the nuts from fans. He will forever be the guy who fired Landry, although, Bum Bright ordered that samething the year before, but Tex didn't have the heart to do it. And now when he tries to keep with the exact idea that Tex had for the Ring of Honor, he's taking it in the nuts again.

Ladie and Gentleman, you can't have it both ways. There will be a time and place for everyone that deserves...maybe not who you think deserves to be in, but all the trully deserving will get in and it will still be a place for the exclusivily best of the best to be honored.

Jerry did the right think by putting the Triplets in at the same time. That's the way it should always be.

:tongue:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jman said:

I completely agree .. but why this year? Emmitt JUST retired. Why not wait 2-3 years and put them in then and in the meantime, put in players from the 70's and 80's that are just as deserving?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I see your point Reality but I also see the dilema Jerry is in. It would hurt someone's feelings not to put them in all together and they need to go in this year IMO. To hold off on Emmitt would not be appropriate especially considering it's time for Aikman as well as Irvin. I'm as certain as I can be he's waited on Emmitt to retire to put them in together.

I think it's the right thing to do putting them in together this year. To add others doesn't feel appropriate either.

The problem is some of the past greats should have been inducted long ago. One could argue too many waters it down but there are just too many great players from great teams that deserve to be up there.

I think Jerry and those before him have created the problem by just not pulling the trigger on some of those guys.

I consider that a separate issue from the triplets.

Hopefully Jerry will begin to induct one or two of those left out every year until the right thing has been done.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Respect aside, Emmitt, the NFL ALL-TIME Career Leading Rusher, deserves entrance immediately after retirement. That's just one of the perks of being the NFL'S ALL-TIME Career Leading Rusher!

Troy QB'd us to 3 Super Bowl Trophies, he is very deserving of it at this moment in time too. If anything, the only questionable inclusion was that of Irvin. But how can you include 2 and not all 3.. you can't.

And why shouldn't this be a little about Jerry after all he's done for this franchise? Not only that, but those 3 players right there are going to be the cornerstone of who we're recognized as for decades to come...or atleast until we field a few players, equal or better, in talent.

Jerry may have said "no order" but these are the top 3 as far as public image perceives the Dallas Cowboys. Those other old boys will get their day in the sun, so stop worrying so much. Then the puzzle of America's Team will be complete and everybody will be happy.