Rut ROH ..

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Reality said:
The big problem I have with the idea this was done to help Aikman and Irvin (which is very possible) to get into the HOF next time is that it's going to hurt the deserving Cowboys players from the 70's who should be in the HOF as well. Think about it, there is definitely a Cowboys bias out there right now among the HOF voters, so if they put Aikman and Irvin in this year, they can say, "What bias? We just added two Cowboys players in one year!"

Basically, I'm concerned this will lead to many more years of HOF inductees absent of any deserving Cowboys players from the 70's because the voters will now be able to throw out the Aikman, Irvin and eventually Emmitt inductions as examples of their "objectivity" when in reality, those three are shoe-ins.

1) Your theory about Jones doing this to bring more attention to his own accomplishments and away from the past is ridiculous. You hit closer to home with this post above. Jones loves the Dallas Cowboys, including the players from the past, and it is this love and respect that leads him to keep the Ring of Honor exclusive, just the way Tex Schramm and the Cowboys founders wanted it to be. For you to attempt to smear Jones for preserving the Cowboys legacy seems very low, to me. Putting them all in at the same time probably is an attempt to help Aikman and Irvin get into the Hall sooner, but Aikman and Irvin and Emmitt were all going into the Ring of Honor in short order, anyway, because they are clearly more deserving than many of the fence-sitters like Too Tall or Cliff Harris.

2) Why do you give two shats about what those moron Hall of Fame voters think? We all already KNOW that a lot more of our guys are better than the people in the Hall of Fame. I don't need Peter King telling me what I already know. The Ring of Honor is like the real Hall of Fame. As long as the guys who deserve to be in there eventually make it, I am satisfied. But in the spirit of exclusivity, taking time is not a problem for me.

Reaction score
Relax guys, Jerry's just applying some reverse psychology on those East Coast/ West Coast sportswriters that hate his guts. The second they see he snubbed the old-timers they'll be running over eachother trying to criticize him and get to the ballot box first!
:laugh2:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mschmidt64 said:
Why do you give two shats about what those moron Hall of Fame voters think?

It's simple .. I'd like to see those deserving players of the 70's in the HOF before they die so they can experience it themselves.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I like Drew Preason not sure if he will make the ROH, he played with Tony Hill and Hills numbers are better. Other guys Herbert Scott,
John Niland, Ralph Neely and Ed Jones should get consideration but I don't know if they will either

Drew Pearson not only deserves to be in the Ring, but he also deserves to be in the HOF. Drew Pearson made more big plays in big games than any other Cowboy outside of maybe Michael Irvin. Lynn Swann was inducted into the HOF with less than 400 receptions. It's obviously not all about the numbers but the impact of your contribution. As much as I liked Tony Hill.....he was no Drew Pearson.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Reality said:
.. Shaggy :)

I just had to chime in on the triplets getting into the ROH.

I loved watching the triplets play and everyone knows how much of an Emmitt supporter I have always been. That being said, I grew up watching Staubach, Dorsett, Hill and Pearson not to mention the awesome defensive players of the 70's and I am thoroughly disappointed that some of those players didn't get in before Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Don't get me wrong, Aikman, Smith and Irvin are all worthy of being in the ROH and may arguably be the top three of all ROH players. Even with Jerry mentioning that there is no "order" to who gets inducted into the ROH, to me it is still a major slap in the face that one of the triplets, Emmitt, who was a great player do doubt, just retired THIS YEAR and gets in while many other deserving players have to wait yet another year to see if the great and powerful Jones decides to grant them entrance.

I personally think this has more to do with Jerry's ego than anything. Jerry knows that after a bad season last year, the 4th in the last 5 years, fans think back about the glory days of the 70's and 90's and if he inducts any of the stars from the 70's, it will take focus off of HIS accomplishments. I have great respect for Jerry Jones, more so than most Cowboys fans, but this was a horrible decision.

That is just my opinion ...

I don't think there's any conspiracy at all. Jerry probably always had it in his mind to induct all three of them at once. That's just Jerry being Jerry. He loves this stuff, and nothing says Cowboys and media hype all in one like inducting the Triplets together.

And it was almost forced that way too because remember the uncertainties around Irvin and Aikman's retirement? Irvin retired so young, and still in his prime, that Jerry probably had to wait a few years even with the injury. Aikman was about as close as you can get to a bonafide ROH induction immediately following a player's retirement, but there were rumors that Aikman would return to football for at least 3 years after his retirement which probably delayed any serious consideration.

Emmit was the catalyst. Dan Marino was inducted into the Dolphins version of the ROH the year after he retired, I don't see how the Cowboys could get away with not treating the league's all-time leading rusher the same way. Irvin and Aikman went out before their time because of injuries, Emmitt just kept running and running until his tank hit empty. Now is the perfect time because none of them are coming back ever again....... unfortunately. :(

Long live what in my opinion will always be the greatest set of offensive triplets the NFL ever saw. :bow:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas4ever said:
Drew Pearson not only deserves to be in the Ring, but he also deserves to be in the HOF. Drew Pearson made more big plays in big games than any other Cowboy outside of maybe Michael Irvin. Lynn Swann was inducted into the HOF with less than 400 receptions. It's obviously not all about the numbers but the impact of your contribution. As much as I liked Tony Hill.....he was no Drew Pearson.

I'm a big fan of Pearson and watched his entire career with the Cowboys and I agree that if Swann is in the HOF Drew would deserve as much. I will agrue Tony Hill has just as much right. Hill made many game winning catches in the last seconds of games and his number are better than Pearson over the same lenght of time, that is not a knock on Pearson but it is a fact

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
The Ring of Honor is an exclusive club. If a player hasn't made it in 20-25 years after playing...they probably don't belong. Aikman, Irvin and Smith created the greastest Cowboys team ever.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
The Ring of Honor is an exclusive club. If a player hasn't made it in 20-25 years after playing...they probably don't belong. Aikman, Irvin and Smith created the greastest Cowboys team ever.

I would say "ONE of the greatest" Cowboys teams ever...

But if I was pressed for what I thought was the greatest.. I'd pick the Staubach, Pearson, Hill, Too Tall, Walls, etc teams...

Too bad you weren't old enough to watch and enjoy the original "America's Team" play in the late 60's and 70's. They were an awesome site.

There are several players from 20+ yrs ago that belong in the ROH. And for the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't there... other than Jerry is ignoring the Pre-Jones boys. As for him putting Tom and Tex in... I think he did it because they both had died and it would make him look good to honor those men.