Ryan ESPN on SB Sunday About The Cowboys Interest In DF Position

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The more I think about this, I don’t like it. Why would RR lobby so hard? The talent isn’t that great if we’re being honest there’s a lot of holes that they’re going to have to fill. IMO this smells like him trying to position himself for the HC job in the event the fall out happens, and no better place to position yourself but as the DC. I don’t trust people like that.

rags747

Reaction score
It was also said that the Jones boys loved Rex enthusiasm for the job, something to that effect.

lkelly

Reaction score
With the sun coming through the windows at AT&T already blinding players, I think the addition of his thermonuclear white blinding teeth might be an OSHA violation that the union would fight.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Someone should have asked RR to explain his insistence that he didn't interview. Why be bashful to call it an interview at the time, but now, acknowledge (a) he initiated the contact, and (b) there was, per Schefter (... who oh by the way, was the one who reported RR's insistence...) some conversation directly with the Joneses of some kind.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Could all just be blustering by Ryan. Who knows. Or reports they were hiring Zimmer could have been premature. Teams cant announce hiring during SB week
Yeah breaking News tomorrow or Tuesday we will have a new DC even though the deal has probably been signed

Rayman70

Reaction score
oh wow....could it be the deal with Zimmer hasn't been announced because nothing has been finalized? Is Rex Ryan still in play? I do find it curious that nothing on the team website has been announced officially.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Could all just be blustering by Ryan. Who knows. Or reports they were hiring Zimmer could have been premature. Teams cant announce hiring during SB week
and we all know Jerry, he may have a change of heart and hire Rex. He and Rex do seem to be kindred spirits in the regard they each like the lights. Jerry of all people can relate to him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The more I think about this, I don’t like it. Why would RR lobby so hard? The talent isn’t that great if we’re being honest there’s a lot of holes that they’re going to have to fill. IMO this smells like him trying to position himself for the HC job in the event the fall out happens, and no better place to position yourself but as the DC. I don’t trust people like that.
The talent isn't that great? Don't agree with that statement at all. Now it's true this team is constantly being talked about as "loaded with talent", but that's far different than just having good talent. I know, we all have our faves on the team, and look down/dis on others we think are overrated.

But is there any doubt that (discounting injuries for the moment) that the below players aren't talented?

Parsons
Diggs
Lawrence
Bland
Odighizuwa
Gilmore

Just those guys alone make up over half the defense. And what's mainly wrong with the defense? Can't stop the run. Fixing that shouldn't require a massive change. There are only a few basic defensive schemes, it's applying your talent in the right combination that makes a run defense better or worse. After all, we had a 215 lb. MLB, just having a guy like LVE (who is probably done, so sad) manning the middle would be a great help.

So Rex would definitely like to be the DC, a great opportunity for him to show he's got what it takes to be a championship DC....

Creeper

Reaction score
So we hired the wrong brother in 2011? We needed the one with the foot fetish?

Majic

Reaction score
Why can't the Cowboys appoint the best coaches? Why does the first question in the process have to be not how qualified they are but can they work with Jerry? No disrespect to Zimmer who I think would be ok, but if you are telling me Ryan was available why was he not short listed. Instead he had to ask a favour of Mike to have a chat with the Joneses.

Crazy!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Man, I think Ryan would work great with this D, with players like Micah, Diggs…..he would mesh with them.
exactly. I think Rex fits better with the guys we have. I feel he can elevate the guys we have and mold the new guys as well.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Read the sticky thread!
Are you calling Rex Ryan a liar?
This isn't some 5'-0" insider making up stories for clicks.
Dude is saying "wait a minute, I was in the room and
I was told differently".

heir

Reaction score
We have an owner, his son, players who love to be in front of a camera or mic. We don't need to add a blowhard DC that can't wait to talk to that long list. No thanks. Is Zimmer the best out there? No. But considering what was out there he might be the best.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you calling Rex Ryan a liar?
This isn't some 5'-0" insider making up stories for clicks.
Dude is saying "wait a minute, I was in the room and
I was told differently".
I am not calling anyone a liar. I am saying that it is quite common for a the NFL to tell teams to not one-up the Super Bowl by making big announcements during Super Bowl week.

It could also be that the NFL doesn't care if a team releases a press release about it, but knowing Jerry he would want to hold a press conference to announce the hiring of a DC to 1) get himself in front of the camera and 2) to try to sell everyone that the latest coaching hire is an upgrade, and a press conference by a non-Super Bowl team is very likely not allowed by the NFL during Super Bowl week.

Of course there could be a problem because until there is an official announcement, something could always come up.

That said, the more plausible scenario is that Ryan is wanting to keep himself as a topic as long as possible to setup job offers in 2025 more so than the Cowboys have changed their minds.

I just cannot imagine Jerry allowing the media to run with a story that says they are hiring a coach that they are not in fact hiring because it would make them look foolish when they announce a different coach.