Ryan ESPN on SB Sunday About The Cowboys Interest In DF Position

RoboQB

Reaction score
I am not calling anyone a liar. I am saying that it is quite common for a the NFL to tell teams to not one-up the Super Bowl by making big announcements during Super Bowl week.

It could also be that the NFL doesn't care if a team releases a press release about it, but knowing Jerry he would want to hold a press conference to announce the hiring of a DC to 1) get himself in front of the camera and 2) to try to sell everyone that the latest coaching hire is an upgrade, and a press conference by a non-Super Bowl team is very likely not allowed by the NFL during Super Bowl week.

Of course there could be a problem because until there is an official announcement, something could always come up.

That said, the more plausible scenario is that Ryan is wanting to keep himself as a topic as long as possible to setup job offers in 2025 more so than the Cowboys have changed their minds.

I just cannot imagine Jerry allowing the media to run with a story that says they are hiring a coach that they are not in fact hiring because it would make them look foolish when they announce a different coach.
Fair enough.
One thing though...
You need to re-read your last sentence and remember that this is Jerry and Stephen you're talking about... lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rex is just hoping the cowboys have cold feet
I don't blame them. Zim has had health issues in the past. Is he up to the task? Can't dispute his mind, but is the body willing? Hés a 67 year old guy . He hasn't had great success. I want a guy that will elevate the team as my DC. Can he? Rex is like 60 or 62, I think he has some fuel left in the tank and has a great eye for what it takes. He has an attacking style that I luv. He wants and demands physicality. No bending d.

Proof

Reaction score
The more I think about this, I don’t like it. Why would RR lobby so hard? The talent isn’t that great if we’re being honest there’s a lot of holes that they’re going to have to fill. IMO this smells like him trying to position himself for the HC job in the event the fall out happens, and no better place to position yourself but as the DC. I don’t trust people like that.
we’re obviously down in the team but there’s 3 first team all pros and dpoy finalists, one of which is in the conversation for best defender in the league. along with one of the best run stopping de’s. there’s alot to like as far as building blocks

XXLMike

Reaction score
Rex is in Jerry’s ear … McCarthy is in trouble - bigly.
Be it now or during the year .
Rex is now a part of the Cowboys season in some fashion.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, I hope he gets the job and brings his fired brother back in, that should get garretts goat, the one he sleeps with.

kskboys

Reaction score
The talent isn't that great? Don't agree with that statement at all. Now it's true this team is constantly being talked about as "loaded with talent", but that's far different than just having good talent. I know, we all have our faves on the team, and look down/dis on others we think are overrated.

But is there any doubt that (discounting injuries for the moment) that the below players aren't talented?

Parsons
Diggs
Lawrence
Bland
Odighizuwa
Gilmore

Just those guys alone make up over half the defense. And what's mainly wrong with the defense? Can't stop the run. Fixing that shouldn't require a massive change. There are only a few basic defensive schemes, it's applying your talent in the right combination that makes a run defense better or worse. After all, we had a 215 lb. MLB, just having a guy like LVE (who is probably done, so sad) manning the middle would be a great help.

So Rex would definitely like to be the DC, a great opportunity for him to show he's got what it takes to be a championship DC....
We have no LB's, Osa is not a starter, and Gil is just done.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don't blame them. Zim has had health issues in the past. Is he up to the task? Can't dispute his mind, but is the body willing? Hés a 67 year old guy . He hasn't had great success. I want a guy that will elevate the team as my DC. Can he? Rex is like 60 or 62, I think he has some fuel left in the tank and has a great eye for what it takes. He has an attacking style that I luv. He wants and demands physicality. No bending d.
Was a “foot joke” an Rex’s fetish

Cowboys93

Reaction score
Rex Ryan will fit right in with this clown show so I fully expect Jerry to undermine his lame duck HC

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd rather have Ryan than Zimm, but I'm ok with either given the 1 year situation.
I am curious as to why. He hasn't coached in like 8 years.

His last Buffalo team (2016), granted he was HC and not DC, had a mediocre defense finishing 16th in points allowed, 28th against the run (YPC), didn't generate a ton of turnovers, but were Top 10 in sacks.

2015, wasn't much better as they were 15th in points allowed, 25th in YPC, a bit better at generating turnovers and a terrible 31st in sacks.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Rex is in Jerry’s ear … McCarthy is in trouble - bigly.
Be it now or during the year .
Rex is now a part of the Cowboys season in some fashion.
It feels very JG’ish. I would not want RR for this sole reason. Something doesn’t sit right with how he’s going about it. He’s a Ryan he has ulterior motives, imo.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Only the Jones would make their choice and then have second thoughts when the other candidate offers to do it for less money.

Also, good thing McCarthy is in charge of naming the DC.

How do fans keep buying this?